The Newsroom

ITN - Classic Presentation

(January 2016)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
DE
deejay
I vaguely recall the dots under the clock. Think certain items were only in a couple of the clock-segments, 'Box Office' for example.
AN
Andrew Founding member
Lots of good pres here that I've found on YouTube with various familiar faces, including a young fresh faced bloke in Tokyo but still with his distinctive eyebrows

Last edited by Andrew on 30 March 2016 9:54pm
Stuart, Nicky and itsrobert gave kudos
IT
itsrobert Founding member
The desk that Carol Barnes is sat at in the first of Andrew's videos - do you think that looks like the same one that John Suchet is sitting at in the last video on page 2? I wonder if it was recycled on the move to Gray's Inn Road. In 1989, C4 Daily would have been coming from Wells Street, but I'm sure I've read somewhere it had a refresh when it moved into GIR. I suppose it's feasible that the old desk might have been used for the new Studio 3 at GIR?
WH
Whataday Founding member
I think it's a similar desk, but not the same.

I haven't really seen much of C4 Daily but it's very The Day Today isn't it.
FO
fox1
I taped all those clips. I LOVED the Channel 4 Daily! I didn't even need to think about it - from the first day it went to air, I was hooked. As mentioned, it was full of different themes and sets and so on. But more than that - I thought the show was so cool-looking, with its utilitarian set, stylish graphics and different approach. e.g. weather presented by the show's announcer in voice only, without ever seeing him.
AN
Andrew Founding member
Of course the ITN News Channel was also equally straight to the point, and that failed as well.

Must have been a shock if the viewer missed the news about the Channel 4 Daily ending and tuned in the following Monday, to be met by a ginger bloke bouncing around the screen. Channel 4 went from one extreme to the other.

Note the classic 9:25 judder at the end of the above clip.
WH
Whataday Founding member
The clock wasn't a million miles away from the one used in the days following 9/11 when The Big Breakfast was replaced by Channel 4 News.

BR
Brekkie
Do C4 still have a clock over their breakfast comedies or did that go with the latest revamp?
IT
itsrobert Founding member
Do C4 still have a clock over their breakfast comedies or did that go with the latest revamp?

I've just seen Frasier this morning, Brekkie, and it didn't have a clock over it. There are no graphics on Ch4 SD and only the 4HD DOG on Ch4 HD.
CI
cityprod

Not really. Remember this pre-dates The Day Today by about 4 years or so.

The World News and the News Headlines titles are similar, but the content never was, not even remotely close.

And Channel 4 Daily was much more than just the news segments. You had Countdown Masters, Comic Book, Box Office and Streetwise in the early going. By the end, out of those segments, only Box Office was still around as a Channel 4 Daily segment, though Comic Book was also a Saturday morning segment, introduced at the same time as The Channel 4 Daily, and stayed around longer on Saturdays than it did on weekdays.
BP
Bob Paisley

The World News and the News Headlines titles are similar, but the content never was, not even remotely close.

And Channel 4 Daily was much more than just the news segments. You had Countdown Masters, Comic Book, Box Office and Streetwise in the early going. By the end, out of those segments, only Box Office was still around as a Channel 4 Daily segment, though Comic Book was also a Saturday morning segment, introduced at the same time as The Channel 4 Daily, and stayed around longer on Saturdays than it did on weekdays.

What was Comic Book?
CI
cityprod

What was Comic Book?

Basically, some old cartoons, things like The New Fantastic Four, The Adventures of Batman, and other similar cartoons.

Newer posts