The Newsroom

BBC News Channel Presentation - 21/03/16 onwards

Split from BBC News Channel General Discussion (March 2016)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
CR
Critique
Indeed, there's nothing wrong with the WN brand or the bulletins, it's just the fact that they don't very often disguise the fact that it's BBC World News on the News Channel. As I've said, sometimes it's done very well, such as during Business Live where there is a tiny pause at the end of the 'Coming up' sequence half way through the programme before they go onto UK centric stories, with a very short sting at the end of this segment as World opts back in - I'm sure I noted on the one of the first programmes shown on both World and the NC that they didn't even say 'welcome back' when World opted back in. Likewise, during the break after World Business Report on the World Today, they plug what's coming up on Breakfast. It just seems like an odd mix of standards IMO.
DV
dvboy
I don't see that they should disguise that it's BBC World News. Happy for them to use that brand on the News Channel but when they try to hide it by calling it BBC News, it's the inconsistency that is frustrating.
AN
Andrew Founding member
I suppose it's because it's only overnight therefore it 'doesn't matter', like ITV regions like UTV who feircly used their brand during the day, but didn't care that it's all ITV branded overnight.

I'm very surprised they allow BBC.com addresses though, and don't just say 'visit this website' and fade up the appropriate graphic.

Also it's a bit misleading that the BBC1 listings say "Joins BBC News Channel" but it isn't the BBC News Channel, it's BBC World News, it should perhaps be billed like that in BBC1 listings.
NY
NYTV
dvboy posted:
I don't see that they should disguise that it's BBC World News. Happy for them to use that brand on the News Channel but when they try to hide it by calling it BBC News, it's the inconsistency that is frustrating.

So, would you prefer that World News return to their old tagline of the 2000s - "This is BBC News from BBC World"?
HA
harshy Founding member
NYTV posted:
dvboy posted:

So, would you prefer that World News return to their old tagline of the 2000s - "This is BBC News from BBC World"?

It was BBC world from BBC News according to the titles at the time which wasn't right and thankfully corrected when they rebranded to BBC World News
SN
The SNT Three
It depended what the hour was: there was "BBC News from BBC World" as well as "BBC World from BBC News" (Al Yates alert!).
DV
dvboy
NYTV posted:
dvboy posted:

No, BBC World News is fine.
IT
itsrobert Founding member
All this "BBC News from BBC World" stuff only started when the European Breakfast strand launched in September 2001. Overnight bulletins in the early 2000s were only ever presented as "BBC News". The titles only featured the BBC News logo and the presenters only ever referred to "BBC News". The only reference to BBC News 24 was during the back half hour when BBC World was showing their own recorded programming.

The European Breakfast strand consisted of The World Today at 0500 GMT which was simulcast on BBC News 24 and BBC One and was referred to as "The World Today from BBC News". The 0600 and 0700 GMT bulletins were presented in the same format as the 0500 TWT hour, but were only broadcast on BBC World and were referred to as "BBC News from BBC World" in the opening sequence.

The rest of the news output during the daytime on BBC World (from 0800 GMT until 0100 GMT) was referred to as "BBC World News" on air - and the 2000- titles featured a prominent BBC News logo with a smaller BBC World logo underneath. Going back a bit further, in the late 1990s flags era the titles simply had a "BBC World News" logo on them.

Further confusion was generated in the mid-2000s - as shown in the video clip above - when the new titles had the logos reversed, so BBC World was more prominent than BBC News.

BBC Four's news programme was another naming oddity. When that launched in 2002, it had two different sprinkles that went out on BBC Four and BBC World. The former had a BBC Four News logo for the UK and BBC World's version had a BBC World logo. I've never figured out how they managed to play out two different sprinkles - if anyone can shed any light on that, I'd love to know. Was it simply a case of N9 playing out the BBC Four News version and World Pres overlaying the BBC World version? The post-headlines titles definitely went out from N9 and only featured a BBC logo so that it would be applicable for both channels. To get round this problem, it was renamed "The World" in 2004 and subsequently became World News Today at a later date.

With all that said, it is strange - given how much effort went into keeping things separate and/or generic when simulcasting - that nowadays everything is so sloppy and BBC World News is referred to in the UK overnight.
HA
harshy Founding member
Definitely itsrobert, we've both been watching both services for years, and back in the early 2000s, there was a genuine effort to keep BBC world news well away from BBC news these days though it's becoming more and more evident the BBC world news brand and breakfiller going out on BBC news channel as well, it makes you wonder if BBC World News will make an official uk appearance.
IL
i-lied
It's not possible to put on screen individual web addresses for each channel. The ticker handles that.

About the branding, overnight it's solely referred to as BBC News, including at 5am GMT. The only exception being Newsday, which seems to be BBC World News. Other programs tend to be neutral and I like the way during Outside Source where there is a preview of what's coming up on both channels.
BP
Bob Paisley
As I understand it, the overnight service used to be paid for and produced by BBC News 24 - but now it's run by BBC World News. The new management seem keen to increase their profile - hence the use of bbc.com addresses etc. Even the 5am bulletin is branded BBC World News these days. I always thought there were European competition laws to be taken in to account - but the Beeb don't seem too concerned nowadays. They might if Sky sue them of course.
Last edited by Bob Paisley on 26 March 2016 10:51pm
DV
dvboy
Junk in the Currencies section of the ticker tonight:

Newer posts