TV Home Forum

No Good Morning Britain due to fire

Split from Good Morning Britain - 2015 Refresh/Tweaks (March 2016)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
SP
Steve in Pudsey
It used to be so rare to have to play out a 'bomb tape'. Didn't GMTV do it once in its final years, and was noticeably ancient?

You do start to wonder about their broadcast continuity plans. Even TV-am came up with a plan B for the 1987 storm. Some arrangement with ITN to do something basic (even just rip and read headlines and linking to standby packages kept at ITN for the purpose) from the studio providing the London opt outs for example.
DB
DalekBChannel523
I wonder if anything was damaged in the fire? If so: how does it impact other shows filmed in that studio?
WH
Whataday Founding member
Curious that the standby tape doesn't make any mention of the fact that it's not a normal programme. Do ITV assume that their viewers won't notice, so feel no need to mention it?

It seems to be standard procedure not to mention anything as they wouldn't know the reason. It could be something trivial such as a technical fault or something far more serious, and to give a vague reason for the pre-record could cause alarm to viewers.
BR
Brekkie
Curious that the standby tape doesn't make any mention of the fact that it's not a normal programme. Do ITV assume that their viewers won't notice, so feel no need to mention it?

Apart from the big caption saying it is pre-recorded.
AS
Asa Admin
I wonder if they might update the emergency tape now, given it's aired a couple of times. I'm sure there's enough suitable material since that recording that can be used.

Another GMB thread is just what TV Forum needs.

Hm? This is actually interesting though… rather have this split into its own topic than in a topic I will never read

Yeah, the generic thread gets some deserved stick every now and again but I think it's a cheap shot to complain about a new topic in the topic itself when it's actually been on track and a decent discussion.

I wonder if anything was damaged in the fire? If so: how does it impact other shows filmed in that studio?

Reading pretty much any news article on the subject will give you that answer.
RD
rdd Founding member
Possibly due to the confusion with getting Lorraine to air. Sounds like it was touch and go whether it would get on air until the last minute. Wonder if the planned standby was something UTV Ireland didn't have rights for so they did their own thing and didn't get the message that Lorraine was good to go until it was too late?

Oddly enough, it is now on the UTV Player for anyone that really wanted to watch it.
AN
Andrew Founding member

It seems to be standard procedure not to mention anything as they wouldn't know the reason. It could be something trivial such as a technical fault or something far more serious, and to give a vague reason for the pre-record could cause alarm to viewers.

Exactly, it could be a minor issue effecting just GMB, or a major incident effecting all of London, how to word it to cover both extremes would be quite difficult.
SP
Steve in Pudsey
You could do it quite easily "due to circumstances beyond our control we can't bring you GMB at the moment. We're trying to get things back to normal as quickly as we can, but in the meantime..."

Incidentally is anybody else a little surprised that the fire brigade announced it as being a fire in the post room rather than simply an office?

That makes it very easy to jump to conclusions about what may have caused the fire, which I would have thought they would wish to avoid
Warbler, dbl and thegeek gave kudos
GE
thegeek Founding member
You could do it quite easily "due to circumstances beyond our control we can't bring you GMB at the moment. We're trying to get things back to normal as quickly as we can, but in the meantime..."

yes, that's the kind of thing I had in mind - the 'pre-recorded' bug aside, they seem to be acting as if it's topical, rather than a 'best of'.
DB
dbl
They've had pre-recorded announcements like that in the past.

RO
Ronant
I turned on at 7.20 this morning. Don't know why I never watch GMB. My first thought was, oh it's just a prerecorded show for a bank holiday, that looks pretty bad.

When Dinner Date came on and GMB was still on the EPG I was thinking they must of just thought late on it wasn't worth doing a show on a bank hol which will get pathetic ratings.
IS
Inspector Sands

According to the London Fire Brigade it was a post room

Newer posts