TV Home Forum

Channel 4 the new home of FTA Formula 1.

No Ad breaks during races. (December 2015)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
NG
noggin Founding member
I think some on Twitter were being a little optimistic hoping for no ads in recorded race coverage.

Yes. How do they think C4 fund content?

(Haven't Sky F1 historically massively altered their ad strategy depending whether the BBC was live at the same time or not?)
BR
Brekkie
They made it quite clear pre-recorded shows would have ads. Indeed I suspect if all races were live they wouldn't be able to offer them ad free.
IN
Interceptor
They made it quite clear pre-recorded shows would have ads. Indeed I suspect if all races were live they wouldn't be able to offer them ad free.

I think they had committed to that in their previous bid (which was for all coverage).
RD
rdd Founding member
Channel 4 are providing the World Feed commentary now.
NG
noggin Founding member
rdd posted:

Yes. Was mentioned earlier in the thread that the core C4 commentary team would provide the world feed commentary for all races, unlike the BBC situation where the radio commentary team was apparently used when the BBC weren't live on the TV. (Presumably because C4 don't have a radio team to fall back on)
IN
Interceptor
rdd posted:

Yes. Was mentioned earlier in the thread that the core C4 commentary team would provide the world feed commentary for all races, unlike the BBC situation where the radio commentary team was apparently used when the BBC weren't live on the TV. (Presumably because C4 don't have a radio team to fall back on)

Races at least (including those not shown live by the BBC) were definitely Ben Edwards and David Coulthard.
NG
noggin Founding member
rdd posted:

Races at least (including those not shown live by the BBC) were definitely Ben Edwards and David Coulthard.

Ah - earlier in the thread others were stating that BBC Radio commentary was used on the races that the BBC TV rights were highlights-only for. This may well have been wrong.
ST
Ste Founding member

Ah - earlier in the thread others were stating that BBC Radio commentary was used on the races that the BBC TV rights were highlights-only for. This may well have been wrong.

I think the poster meant that for practice sessions BBC Radio commentary was used. For qualifying and race the TV commentary team was used.
Last edited by Ste on 20 March 2016 6:46pm
RD
rdd Founding member
Ste posted:

I the poster meant that for practice sessions BBC Radio commentary was used. For qualifying and race the TV commentary team was used.

However, during qualifiying commentary was only provided during the three sessions proper, if the BBC wasn't covering the event live. There were long periods of silence in between. If the BBC was live then the audio (but not the picture!) from BBC One was available. Not sure if C4 are providing a similar service (although I'm not au fait with the controversial new format for qualifying).
DV
dvboy
rdd posted:
I'm not au fait with the controversial new format for qualifying).

The number of sessions is still three but don't worry, they are going back to the old format for Bahrain anyway.
NW
nwtv2003
Worth noting that Channel 4 are showing live coverage of the Bahrain GP Practice next Friday between 11.55am - 1.35pm and 3.55pm
- 5.35pm. Randomly The Big Bang Theory getting a repeat outing at 1.35pm and an extra Simpsons at 5.35pm.

Interesting to see whether Channel 4 when it's their weekend to show live races will always show the practice on a Friday.
DV
dvboy
Worth noting that Channel 4 are showing live coverage of the Bahrain GP Practice next Friday between 11.55am - 1.35pm and 3.55pm
- 5.35pm. Randomly The Big Bang Theory getting a repeat outing at 1.35pm and an extra Simpsons at 5.35pm.

Interesting to see whether Channel 4 when it's their weekend to show live races will always show the practice on a Friday.

They should, as the BBC did, although I expect some might be on More4.

Newer posts