The Newsroom

BBC News at Ten

10 o'clock regional news extended permanently. Whittingdale not happy. (September 2015)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
MA
Markymark
Are regions told if the network bulletin will have a different finish to normal?

Well, you'd hope so, as part of the overall smooth running slick operation that is the BBC Smile
NG
noggin Founding member
Are regions told if the network bulletin will have a different finish to normal?

They all have access to the Ten O'Clock news running order in ENPS and can see the different close in it. You'd expect any 2225 producer to be across the Ten running order to ensure they were avoiding duplication, and back-refing national coverage of a story they feature in their bulletin.
SK
skynewsfreak

They all have access to the Ten O'Clock news running order in ENPS and can see the different close in it. You'd expect any 2225 producer to be across the Ten running order to ensure they were avoiding duplication, and back-refing national coverage of a story they feature in their bulletin.

Regions would also get a countdown from Network on when to opt out wouldn't they, so they get the exact time?
IS
Inspector Sands
They get the talkback from the news studio gallery instead of the network director during the news bulletins. They need it mainly for the headlines
NG
noggin Founding member

Regions would also get a countdown from Network on when to opt out wouldn't they, so they get the exact time?

They wouldn't get a precise on-air 'time' for the 2225 as that junction would be handled by the BBC One News gallery not the BBC One Presentation gallery (the talkback is switched through to News once they are on-air) - but they would get an opt-out call from the News gallery, and I'd expect most directors to warn of a different opt-out (though something like a playout would be clear much earlier in the ENPS running order)
HB
HarryB
I think News at Ten is now on till 10:30. South Today just advertised the late news being at 10:30 rather than :25.
CA
carterjones14
I just seen the advertisement for Look North tonight at 10! What time will the national news start tonight then?
LS
Lou Scannon
I just seen the advertisement for Look North tonight at 10! What time will the national news start tonight then?

For a fair old while now, at least some (many/most/all?) presenters of the various 6:30pm regional programmes seem to have had a nasty habit of misleadingly describing their late bulletin as being "at 10", even though they actually mean "after the national news, which is at 10". Peasants. Rolling Eyes
BR
Brekkie
Guess they're trying to sell it as an integrated bulletin.
MO
Moz
All this fuss about this being the end of Newsnight and it turns out that the 10 is still easily off air before the BBC Two flagship heads down the slipway.

Newsnight audiences are not the sort of people who give a damn about what's happening in the regions.

57 days later

CR
Critique
The end of the Ten had an actual promo for Newsnight recorded in Studio B tonight, which would seem to be a fairly recent development, as before I've only ever seen them plugging the fact it's now starting on BBC Two. However, the set looked awful - looks like the house lighting (or whatever the term is) and so everything looked washed out and nasty.

NG
noggin Founding member
The end of the Ten had an actual promo for Newsnight recorded in Studio B tonight, which would seem to be a fairly recent development, as before I've only ever seen them plugging the fact it's now starting on BBC Two. However, the set looked awful - looks like the house lighting (or whatever the term is) and so everything looked washed out and nasty.

They've been doing that since the Ten was extended. Sometimes there are cameras in shot, sometimes the lighting is a bit 'rehearsal'. All feels a bit self conscious.

Newer posts