TV Home Forum

What BBC1 and 2 could have looked like in 1991

(February 2016)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
CI
cityprod
Oh, and Billy Asko, if you can point to a tweet that you claim is offensive to disabled people, perhaps you might consider pointing what is actually offensive and link to a real definition, because I can't find anything offensive in that tweet.

Search Joey Deacon.

So, something that was a playground taunt for a couple of years, then fell into disuse is still considered too sensitive to you? That says a lot about you. If you think that mimicing Joey Deacon's face would be an insult to disabled people as a whole, rather than say just those with cerebral palsy, then that says a lot about how negatively you view people with disabilities.

I work with two people at Source FM who are in wheelchairs, but both are very intelligent, especially about music, but also about wrestling, and one of them is very knowledgeable about football history. They're damn good people, and I think you need to re-examine your view of disabilities in the light of this.

Also, because you've gone off on a tangent to the whole piece, you're basically doing the classic distraction tactic, by criticising something tangential to the actual issue, rather than admit the possibility, however large or small, that you might actually be wrong on something. You have no actual evidence to base your suppositions on. And you're basically saying that people who are part of a society that values accuracy and facts, over opinion, can't be trusted on this. That sounds completely ridiculous.

You might want to check Urban Dictionary for current definitions of Joey. Few are actually negative, and I didn't see anything relating to Joey Deacon.
CI
cityprod
Yes, you have to be a certain age to get the reference

Believe it or not, I did watch Joey Deacon on Blue Peter, and got called Joey quite a lot afterwards, but I always felt that the people throwing it around as an insult, were revealing their own insecurities far more than they were actually having a go at me. Maybe you should get your mind out of the playground.
BA
bilky asko
Oh, and Billy Asko, if you can point to a tweet that you claim is offensive to disabled people, perhaps you might consider pointing what is actually offensive and link to a real definition, because I can't find anything offensive in that tweet.

Search Joey Deacon.

So, something that was a playground taunt for a couple of years, then fell into disuse is still considered too sensitive to you? That says a lot about you. If you think that mimicing Joey Deacon's face would be an insult to disabled people as a whole, rather than say just those with cerebral palsy, then that says a lot about how negatively you view people with disabilities.

I work with two people at Source FM who are in wheelchairs, but both are very intelligent, especially about music, but also about wrestling, and one of them is very knowledgeable about football history. They're damn good people, and I think you need to re-examine your view of disabilities in the light of this.

Also, because you've gone off on a tangent to the whole piece, you're basically doing the classic distraction tactic, by criticising something tangential to the actual issue, rather than admit the possibility, however large or small, that you might actually be wrong on something. You have no actual evidence to base your suppositions on. And you're basically saying that people who are part of a society that values accuracy and facts, over opinion, can't be trusted on this. That sounds completely ridiculous.

You might want to check Urban Dictionary for current definitions of Joey. Few are actually negative, and I didn't see anything relating to Joey Deacon.

If you're happy to dismiss discrimation against disabled people, then it shows the sort of person you are. For the record, I am younger than you and I am well aware of the reference.

I don't appreciate being condescended on my attitudes to disabled people when I have disabled relatives and I have work colleagues with disabilities. I don't discriminate against then in my actions or words, and I certainly don't tolerate people who do.

My point was (despite my overarching feeling from the start that the video was genuine) that people who freely dispense discriminatory insults don't deserve respect.

I don't wish to discuss this any further, but feel free to send further thoughts of yours via PM.
CI
cityprod
Maybe if it was still being widely used as a discriminatory term, then I might be more concerned. But considering it hasn't been in general use in about 30 YEARS, I don't think it's relevant in relation to the video.
IS
Inspector Sands

Believe it or not, I did watch Joey Deacon on Blue Peter, and got called Joey quite a lot afterwards, but I always felt that the people throwing it around as an insult, were revealing their own insecurities far more than they were actually having a go at me.

If you can shake it off like that then great, it doesn't change the intent behind it though

Quote:
Maybe you should get your mind out of the playground.

Hey, don't shoot the messenger
CI
cityprod

Believe it or not, I did watch Joey Deacon on Blue Peter, and got called Joey quite a lot afterwards, but I always felt that the people throwing it around as an insult, were revealing their own insecurities far more than they were actually having a go at me.

If you can shake it off like that then great, it doesn't change the intent behind it though

The intent was to mock the forum, rather than mocking people with disabilities.
LL
London Lite Founding member

The intent was to mock the forum, rather than mocking people with disabilities.

If that is the case, there are other ways to take the mickey out of the forum, rather than use disability. It all comes over rather childish.
MF
MatthewFirth
I'm sorry this thread has gone too far. The aim was to discover the facts about the video, not to take the mickey.

If the admins agree with me then go ahead.....
CI
cityprod
I'm sorry this thread has gone too far. The aim was to discover the facts about the video, not to take the mickey.

Well, if you think that, maybe you should consider whether it's a good idea that people here have thrown around unwarranted and outdated claims of discrimination so casually.
LL
London Lite Founding member

Well, if you think that, maybe you should consider whether it's a good idea that people here have thrown around unwarranted and outdated claims of discrimination so casually.

The fact a young man on this forum was offended by those comments doesn't make it outdated, even if the reference is from when I was at school and used as a childish comment in the playground.
CI
cityprod

The fact a young man on this forum was offended by those comments doesn't make it outdated, even if the reference is from when I was at school and used as a childish comment in the playground.

I could be offended by the insane levels of stupidity that this thread keeps bringing to the surface, if I chose to be. People will find things offensive, if they choose to find them offensive.
BR
Brekkie
This thread could do with the intervention of Heart Internet.

Newer posts