TV Home Forum

What BBC1 and 2 could have looked like in 1991

(February 2016)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
WH
Whataday Founding member
I'm really not convinced, purely because technically this appears to have had a video effect added to it which I recognise as being used to artificially age picture quality... in fact two effects including the timecode I mentioned already.

The description on YouTube says that the majority of the programmes mentioned in the continuity did not exist, but they are all genuine which means the audio could have been taken from anywhere.

Not willing to stake my life on it, but I believe this is a mock.
BA
Bail Moderator
I'm saying mock, it's all too easy to export something to VHS, recapture it and voila genuine looking archive material. And for me that default 10: starting clock timecode is a dead give away.
LL
Larry the Loafer
I'm throwing my hat into the "mock" ring too. Something doesn't look right. And I use Adobe Premiere a lot - that timecode looks very familiar.
CO
Colorband
Ok, so let's ask the guy who posted it in the first place.
CO
Colorband
Update...

DV
DVB Cornwall
If this was an entirely new graphic set why would the 'TWO' typeface from a previous ident incarnation be incorporated in it. The font of the 'INTERNATIONAL SNOOKER' still looks iffy too.
:-(
A former member
Because it was a mock up, on whats was being planed?
CO
Colorband
If this was an entirely new graphic set why would the 'TWO' typeface from a previous ident incarnation be incorporated in it.

I'd assume that what we saw before the slide for snooker was a placeholder, an "INSERT PROMO HERE" of sorts.
LL
Larry the Loafer
Update...

I still can't help but take that with a pinch of salt. There are people who think Cwilliams' videos are genuine.

If I saw another video, like the one VMPhil mentioned about the one filmed off a TV screen, I'd probably be convinced.
VM
VMPhil
If I saw another video, like the one VMPhil mentioned about the one filmed off a TV screen, I'd probably be convinced.

I've been looking everywhere for that earlier video I mentioned but I can't seem to find it, unless it was deleted. I swear I remember seeing it, it was recorded off a screen and possibly had no audio.
KM
Keith Musselwhite
I think this is real as well. The hold slide pictures look very much of the time, and maybe the timecode was added to stop someone stealing it and adding their own announcements and music!

I think I prefer what we got and I say this as someone who didn't like the BBC1 ident of the time.
NI
Nicky
No, this is real - images of these idents have shown up on the Forum before

That doesn't quite verify its authenticity though.

and a person couldn't have taken all this time to extrapolate moving pictures from the pictures just for a laugh.

Rather naive. Laughing
Justin, Whataday and Larry the Loafer gave kudos

Newer posts