TV Home Forum

What BBC1 and 2 could have looked like in 1991

(February 2016)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
:-(
A former member
I cant really say much for it, thankgood these test were thrown in the bin.

Quote:
25 years ago today, on 16 February 1991, BBC1 unveiled its new ident, known as the “virtual globe” which remained until October 1997. On the same day, BBC2 began an era of “2” idents which continues to this very day.

WH
Whataday Founding member
Ahead of their time. Literally - they're using the Adobe Premiere timecode.
ST
Stuart
I quite like the BBC II ident. Laughing
orange and Colorband gave kudos
CO
Colorband
I do have to admit, I like both of the idents, but the one for BBC One wouldn't have lasted: too of it's time for it's own good.
VM
VMPhil
The funny thing about it is that it was probably made on high-end equipment at the time, but now looks like something a decent mocker could do at home.
CO
Colorband
The funny thing about it is that it was probably made on high-end equipment at the time, but now looks like something a decent mocker could do at home.

Reminds me more of Video Toaster.
BR
Brekkie
Somewhat ironically for BBC II I see BBC III.
CO
Colorband
Somewhat ironically for BBC II I see BBC III.

Negative space - a graphic designer's worst nightmare.
WH
Whataday Founding member

Yes, it's almost as if someone has created a mock, run it through some editing software effects to make it look old and then passed it off as the real thing...
DV
dvboy
Is real or does it belong in the Gallery then?
VM
VMPhil

Yes, it's almost as if someone has created a mock, run it through some editing software effects to make it look old and then passed it off as the real thing...

No I'm pretty sure it's real. There was a video that appeared a few months ago on YouTube with the same unused BBC1 ident, but it was recorded off a TV screen I seem to remember. The TV Museum channel uploads broadcast quality clips such as this digital widescreen (and clearly broadcast quality) clip from 1999 so I think it's safe to say they have some kind of access to an archive.
Neil Miles and Justin gave kudos
CO
Colorband
No, this is real - images of these idents have shown up on the Forum before, and a person couldn't have taken all this time to extrapolate moving pictures from the pictures just for a laugh.

Newer posts