International News Presentation: Past and Present

(February 2007)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
WW
WW Update
TF1, France, 1982:

LL
London Lite Founding member
France 2 - Newsflash - September 11th 2001.

WW
WW Update
TV0, Brisbane, Australia; news promo for broadcasts from Expo '88:

Same station on the day of a major storm, 1985:

WW
WW Update
ORTF (First Network), France, 1973; 1 p.m. news with coverage of the Yom Kippur War in the Middle East:

WW
WW Update
And from two days later, here's the news from ORTF's Second Network:

WW
WW Update
Radio-Canada, news for Ontario, 2015:

MQ
Mr Q
Mr Q posted:
Further update on TV2 News (channel) in Denmark -- new studio to launch on Sunday at 7am.

One further preview before the launch today, this 360-degree video on Facebook providing a tour of the new studio.
WW
WW Update
Mr Q posted:
Mr Q posted:
Further update on TV2 News (channel) in Denmark -- new studio to launch on Sunday at 7am.

One further preview before the launch today, this 360-degree video on Facebook providing a tour of the new studio.

Wow, thanks for that! (And I probably lead a very sheltered life, but I don't think I've ever seen a 360-degree video before. It looks nice.)
WW
WW Update
And TelevisionIdents has uploaded the first video if TV2 News' new look; it's vaguely ITV-meets-BBC:

NG
noggin Founding member
Very BBC-like lower-third architecture, not sure about the music. Very clean and crisp implementation.

Wonder why the background screens has the UK rather than Denmark between the presenters on the two shot?

Looks like they have cameras suspended from the grid like Tagesschau - must make lighting fun.
BR
Brekkie
The lower thirds are tidy but a bit lazy IMO - they could be tweaked more to fit in with the overall look, although going overboard with the parallelograms would probably look awful, and I guess lazy wins over awful.
MQ
Mr Q
There are some interesting variants on the lower thirds - a few different types of coming up graphics, using timestamps and/or images; 'storyboards' that highlight key facts. They've definitely got a cleaner appearance than the graphics they replaced - although I don't really like how the top red tab simply wipes on and off.

As for the titles - I like how they've customised the colour palette for different times throughout the day (mornings as per the YouTube clip, a neutral grey look for the day, and a darker blue/navy scheme for evenings and overnight). I also like the simplicity of the countdown sequence (which is a throwback to past TV2 News graphics). However, the psychedelic globe is a bit much for me - it reminds me of how my stomach feels after a spicy vindaloo. Indeed, the whole sequence feels overcomplicated - going from the twisting globe to the angled imagery. It's like TV2 couldn't quite decide what look it was going for, so threw a bunch of things today. The execution is great, but I think the underlying idea is a bit weak.

The new studio looks nice - although I'm not a fan of the words that float around in the background screens. Visually, I think the maps and angled stripes would be fine on their own. The only other thing: the green stripes that appear on the background screens during the weather are a bit too bright. They appear neon green, in contrast to the more muted green used in the colour coding for the on-screen graphics.

EDIT:
Also, this article on the new studio (in English!) is worth reading if you're interested in the technical details.
Last edited by Mr Q on 1 February 2016 8:20am

Newer posts