TV Home Forum

CBBC Birthday thread

Celebrating 30 Years of Children's BBC (September 2015)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
VM
VMPhil
This is probably the right time to post this classic TV Forum thread with loads of screenshots of Nick UK from the mid 90s:

http://www.tvforum.co.uk/tvhome/classic-nickelodeon-presentation-16122/
JA
james-2001
Makes you wish they still had in vision continuity. Used to be a big part of Nickelodeon's presentation, and Disney used to have it too, and Fox Kids for a while. Now CBBC are the only ones still doing it, sadly.

Certainly when I was a kid I found actual presenters friendlier than just trailers and pre-recorded clips. One reason I never liked the Steve Ryde CITV era very much.
Last edited by james-2001 on 28 November 2015 11:13pm - 2 times in total
VM
VMPhil
Makes you wish they still had in vision continuity. Used to be a big part of Nickelodeon's presentation, and Disney used to have it too, and Fox Kids for a while. Now CBBC are the only ones still doing it, sadly.

Nick even had their own daily breakfast show, The Crunch, around 10 years ago. Heady days!
AN
Andrew Founding member
This is probably the right time to post this classic TV Forum thread with loads of screenshots of Nick UK from the mid 90s:

http://www.tvforum.co.uk/tvhome/classic-nickelodeon-presentation-16122/

I love the way that it's at least the second time those images I posted back in 2005 have been brought up again. I recall capturing them from VHS via my TV card was a logical nightmare, I probably were not doing it right, but I'm glad it was worth the effort!

A young Lucy Alexander, she's done well for herself! Very Happy better than Rick Adams despite him being the main name at the time!
bilky asko and thegeek gave kudos
JA
james-2001
Rick Adams, who was meant to go onto Live & Kicking, but did badly on the screen test with Zoe, so went onto the Big Breakfast revamp instead... which flopped.
BR
Brekkie

Certainly when I was a kid I found actual presenters friendlier than just trailers and pre-recorded clips. One reason I never liked the Steve Ryde CITV era very much.

Absolutely agree, and when they're full of American content it also helps to have a bit of a British presence there.

I think for alot of us here in our early 30s we really were the ones to grow up in the golden era of childrens TV.
fanoftv and james-2001 gave kudos
VM
VMPhil

Absolutely agree, and when they're full of American content it also helps to have a bit of a British presence there.

I think for alot of us here in our early 30s we really were the ones to grow up in the golden era of childrens TV.

Or, to be more accurate, the golden age of children's TV presentation - as it's really subjective when it comes to whether the programmes themselves are better or worse.
JA
james-2001
Hey, early 30s is insulting, I'm still 29 Razz

I guess something that can be said about the Steve Ryde era of CITV is even though it was out of vision, it was at least live most of the time. Which isn't the case on any other non-BBC kids channel these days. I know Disney had live OOV continuity into the mid-00s at one point, but it's all pre-recorded, and usually generic "on now, up next" etc. announcements on kids channels now, it's not like they even try to inject any personality into it.
BR
Brekkie
Hey, early 30s is insulting, I'm still 29 Razz

We're all still only 29! Wink
JA
james-2001
Or, to be more accurate, the golden age of children's TV presentation - as it's really subjective when it comes to whether the programmes themselves are better or worse.

Regardless of programming, you could argue content was better in the past too. Channels used to have a much vider variety of programmes, now they seem content to just chuck out back-to-back episodes of the same handful of shows. Which goes for most channels, not just kids ones. For example remember the variety of Paramount Comedy in the 90s vs the Friends and Two And A Half Men-fest Comedy Central is now. Even in the early 00s they were showing 70s stuff like Rhoda and Soap.
AN
Andrew Founding member
As well as best pres, possibly best programmes as well.

We had Saturday morning shows, from the major flagships like Going Live and Live and Kicking, through to SMTV Live plus a range of Summer fillers.

We had a range of genres on kids TV including factual and quality drama. Grange Hill and Byker Grove plus various dramas that lasted one series.

We also had the best of American TV as well, either on CBBC/CITV or on the likes of Nickelodeon. Plus as mentioned above, there was a great variety, not just the big hitters back to back all day every day. Nickelodeon were prone to running the likes of Rugrats, Sabrina or Sister Sister every day Never taking them off, but at least they generally only showed one episode at once
CA
Caly123
Does anyone remember a segment on The Saturday Show where the presenters parodied The Simpsons opening? I can't find it anywhere.

Newer posts