Nicky
Yet another blow for Newsnight if this is soon confirmed:
Newsnight's Allegra Stratton expected to take ITV News role - The Guardian

EDIT : now confirmed
ITV News appoints Allegra Stratton as national editor - The Guardian
Last edited by Nicky on 30 November 2015 5:56pm
LL
London Lite Founding member
Bringing in Allegra will only enhance News at Ten's more analytical format. I'd also put a punt on her replacing Rageh as a dep for Tom or Julie.
BR
Brekkie
"National Editor" seems a strange job title - haven't they got a "UK Editor" already?
AC
aconnell
It would be a massive coup for ITV News - Allegra is fantastic on Newsnight and has consistently brought some exclusives and generally been a great thing for the programme's path in rebuilding itself post-Savile and post-McAlpine by bringing sharp, well-informed analysis.

At the same time, it does show that ITV News is at best apprehensive about promoting internally - see Chris Ship - and at worst just stealing BBC talent, an easy option.

Also, this new role surely encroaches on their star incoming Political Editor Robert Peston. Bringing on Allegra would take the shine - and some of the Westminster patch - off Robert, creating a sort of duplicate Political Editor.

What is the scope for Allegra, or even Robert, just returning to BBC in another guise in a few year's time?
MD
mdtauk
Is starting to feel like a flight for money. The BBC seems unable to retain great people because of how the commercial media, and the Government are trying to dismantle it. It may make sense for the individuals, but it is a blow to the BBC.
NE
newsman1
Is starting to feel like a flight for money. The BBC seems unable to retain great people because o f how the commercial media, and the Government are trying to dismantle it. It may make sense for the individuals, but it is a blow to the BBC.

You're being overdramatic. The BBC will never disappear.
CI
cityprod
Is starting to feel like a flight for money. The BBC seems unable to retain great people because o f how the commercial media, and the Government are trying to dismantle it. It may make sense for the individuals, but it is a blow to the BBC.

The extreme right wing would love nothing more than the BBC to disappear. Even the Conservatives would love to have the BBC hamstrung, much like PBS is in the US. If there's one thing I've learned in 25 years around the media, it's never say never.

People didn't expect Thames or TV-am to lose their licences back in 1991, but it happened. Channel 4 was not expected to ever be privatised, but it is on the agenda for this government. The BBC shouldn't be dismantled, but the right wing would love nothing more than to see it disappear. Vigilance is required.
HO
House
Is starting to feel like a flight for money. The BBC seems unable to retain great people because of how the commercial media, and the Government are trying to dismantle it. It may make sense for the individuals, but it is a blow to the BBC.

Or simply Allegra wanted to move on to a new challenge after holding the same position for four years, and the BBC chose a different candidate for the political editor position and hasn't found an alternative position for Allegra, who now has a great opportunity elsewhere. Not someone jumping ship because the BBC is being dismantled around them, but behaving in the very way you'd expect any talented individual to in the public or private sector.

Peston, on the other hand, had very publicly been announcing his desire for a 'new challenge' for several months - including when guest hosting HIGNFY. Again, there wasn't a proper full time challenge for Robert Peston at the BBC - which there was at ITV.

And of course the BBC is looking for a new economics editor and now an economics correspondent at Newsnight - just like in 2014. Wasn't a sign of impending disaster then.

It'll be interesting to see how Newsnight fills the political editor position - and whether they try to lure a well established broadcaster (like Cathy Newman) by merging the position with Laura Kuenssberg's former remit (I.e. Presenting slots). My money would be on Isabel Hardman of the Spectator (if they can persuade her) for an external hire, or a BBC correspondent like Jo Coburn or Vicky Young for an internal one. Anyone have different ideas?
MD
mdtauk
Newsnight has had its fair share of losses. Michael Crick, Jeremy Paxman, Paul Mason, Matt Frei, etc
IT
itsrobert Founding member
I do wonder about the long-term future of Newsnight. I read an article recently which stated that its viewing figures have halved in 10 years and, as Martin says, many of the big name presenters and reporters have left. I'd hate for Newsnight to be axed, but it doesn't look good, surely?
BS
Ben Shatliff

The extreme right wing would love nothing more than the BBC to disappear. Even the Conservatives would love to have the BBC hamstrung, much like PBS is in the US. If there's one thing I've learned in 25 years around the media, it's never say never.

People didn't expect Thames or TV-am to lose their licences back in 1991, but it happened. Channel 4 was not expected to ever be privatised, but it is on the agenda for this government. The BBC shouldn't be dismantled, but the right wing would love nothing more than to see it disappear. Vigilance is required.

I would like to see the BBC vanish and I am not right-ring. I just feel the BBC think they should have everything and they take the viewers for granted.
MD
mdtauk
I would like to see the BBC vanish and I am not right-ring. I just feel the BBC think they should have everything and they take the viewers for granted.

What do you mean by "think they should have everything" and how do you feel they "take the viewers for granted"?
bkman1990 and newsman1 gave kudos

Newer posts