The Gallery

WakeUpUK (Updated with V1.1 on Page 2)

Online Breakfast Show (UPDATED ON PAGE 3) (November 2015)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
UB
UBox

Right then... here's my first post and it's something that I've been working on for quite some time now. Before people get annoyed that someone's posted yet another breakfast program project, I've been working on this since around January and before I even found TV Forum (previous versions were totally hideous and I feel this is the first version that seems decent).

The idea for this show was that with people turning to online services (YouTube, Netflix, etc.) for entertainment, why not try to take traditional TV and put it online as well. That is what I have tried to do.

***A few Disclaimers***
- Some people might recognise the logo I'm using, it comes from TV Matters' Daybreak Mock from back in 2011 (http://www.tvforum.co.uk/thegallery/daybreak-mock-32284/). I have used this because at first I was trying to make something Today USA and then Today AU style, these both failed and doing this I've found that I'm totally rubbish at logo design.

- Here is a picture of one of my awful first attempts at a logo:

- I am using the CBS This Morning Theme with the NBC Today Introduction

- The graphics aren't fully 16:9 safe as you will see. I didn't worry myself about making sure they were because this would be broadcast as a livestream online in it's current format. If I wanted to adapt it for TV use then I easily could.

Here is a video showcasing the graphics:

If the video won't play for you then here is a screenshot of the standard graphics:

Video Explained
It's worth noting that I've been messing around with this version since May and left it for about 3 months over the summer before I've come back to it. Although I've updated a couple of the stories, the Norwich Promotion one has been left because I think it did a good job of showcasing a couple of graphics that wouldn't have been shown if I'd changed it.
Also thought I'd throw in an example of the referendum graphic which I made the other day.

Things I want to Working On
- A running order and explaining how I want to keep it "newsy" with a focus on Headlines, Sport, Showbiz and Technology news.
- A versatile studio design (the current image is an inspiration image for the studio design I'm thinking of.
- Website design

It's worth noting that I'll keep this up to date later with some images of the other logos for certain segments and some graphics I made at the election.

Constructive criticism and feedback is appreciated. So far I've only had my own feedback. This has come a long way since the first design in January... (see spoiler)

I'll try to take on board any feedback and make any necessary changes. If you do rate, please reply saying why you've given that rating and how I can improve.
Thanks
Last edited by UBox on 28 December 2015 8:16pm - 4 times in total
PA
PATV Scunthorpe
Question, why Newcastle?

Also, it's probably best to keep you graphics in front of the transitions.
UB
UBox
Question, why Newcastle?

Also, it's probably best to keep you graphics in front of the transitions.

I used Newcastle because that's the area I live. Will try doing the transitions behind the graphics.
CH
channelsurfer
In all honesty these look too similar to GMB's graphics. Some feedback:

The logo is a good idea, albeit someone else's. Why do the little arcs look like they're cut out though? It doesn't look very sleek. The logo shouldn't be on the screen at the same time as the date (the title sequence). I think it'd look nicer if one came on after the other.

Not a fan of the fonts. Everything seems too big. The text might look better smaller in the astons.

The idea of an online breakfast show is an interesting one. Surely people that don't watch TV would be more likely to turn to BBC online, or perhaps even a site like Buzzfeed for their morning news? If you're going to create an online show, go the whole way with the concept. Embrace technology. Weather could change dynamically for the user depending on where they are, as could the ticker perhaps - have regional news down there.

It seems like an interesting idea though, and it's nice to see your first designs to contrast what you have now.
BB
BBI45
I think this is a good initial idea. However, In the first update, I would like to see more content (weather, better wipes, local news) and stop listing video sources for every single bit of footage. Also, try and stick with one news source (ITN, Sky News, Reuters etc) rather that (going back to video sources) going from source to source and make the second line of text bigger and remove the weather graphic. P.S. If local news was done have it decided when they start watching by each viewer according to their BBC Region. On the whole though, a good start and I'm looking forward to seeing more. Smile
UB
UBox
In all honesty these look too similar to GMB's graphics. Some feedback:

The logo is a good idea, albeit someone else's. Why do the little arcs look like they're cut out though? It doesn't look very sleek. The logo shouldn't be on the screen at the same time as the date (the title sequence). I think it'd look nicer if one came on after the other.

Not a fan of the fonts. Everything seems too big. The text might look better smaller in the astons.

The idea of an online breakfast show is an interesting one. Surely people that don't watch TV would be more likely to turn to BBC online, or perhaps even a site like Buzzfeed for their morning news? If you're going to create an online show, go the whole way with the concept. Embrace technology. Weather could change dynamically for the user depending on where they are, as could the ticker perhaps - have regional news down there.

It seems like an interesting idea though, and it's nice to see your first designs to contrast what you have now.

Thanks for the comments channelsurfer. I can see why you think the graphics are very similar to GMBs. The inspirations for the graphics were GMB, Today USA and CNN New Day. I'll try and sort out the logo for the next version and make it look less "cut out". I'll also try the changes to the title sequences; in previous versions they were as you think it should be but I changed it for this one. I'll change that in V2 as well and that will also sort out sizing problems depending on the date (For the date shown in the mock I had to make the text considerably smaller than I had for shorter day and month names).
My idea with the fonts was to try and use something basic and easy to read no matter how small the screen on the device (if this was an online show then people would be watching on everything from 4" phones to 50" Smart TVs. I may try to reconsider the sizing though.
With the whole technology part of the program I think it's something that TV is currently missing. Tech is everywhere and it plays a HUGE part of our lives so why don't we always get told about amazing new innovations?
I may also post some screenshots of the 3 other designs between the current one and the first to show the progression more.
Thanks for the Feedback
BR
Brekkie
Clearly taking inspiration from elsewhere but as you've been quite honest about that I'll let you get away with it. CBS This Morning has a wonderful theme - think you could get away with posting any old **** alongside that!

On the whole the graphics don't offend me at all but they are very clearly GMB's look in a different skin. Nicely put together though.
UB
UBox
BBI45 posted:
I think this is a good initial idea. However, In the first update, I would like to see more content (weather, better wipes, local news) and stop listing video sources for every single bit of footage. Also, try and stick with one news source (ITN, Sky News, Reuters etc) rather that (going back to video sources) going from source to source and make the second line of text bigger and remove the weather graphic. P.S. If local news was done have it decided when they start watching by each viewer according to their BBC Region. On the whole though, a good start and I'm looking forward to seeing more. Smile

Clearly taking inspiration from elsewhere but as you've been quite honest about that I'll let you get away with it. CBS This Morning has a wonderful theme - think you could get away with posting any old **** alongside that!

On the whole the graphics don't offend me at all but they are very clearly GMB's look in a different skin. Nicely put together though.

Thanks for giving me some feedback. I'll try to add some more stuff in V2 which will show weather ideas and also the other logos for different segments. The reason I was listing the video sources was because I knew this would be going on YouTube, I thought it would be best to help myself out by crediting footage owners to prevent copyright violation. And the sources of the footage: I was just looking around YouTube trying to find the best footage I could for the stories I'd chosen on that day.
I might steer away from local news for now but it might come in the future. When it comes to the weather graphic, I had a couple of options, place it where it is with lots of Information (Location, Weather, Temperature, UV Levels) or do a flicker (I believe that's the right term) like on CNN New Day where I may not be able to fit as much information on each line. I personally really miss the weather graphic since it left GMB and the I think it fits with the idea of the program (people may catch 5 minutes when they're watching on the bus to work) and having the weather bug means they get a quick snippet of the day's forecast even if they miss one of the three forecasts that there will be each hour.
Thanks for the Feedback
MF
MatthewFirth
Once you make it unqiue from GMB and NBC's Today Show, you will be on the right track. This does have potiential.
SJ
SamJPayne14
It is a great idea - however you could change the music to the whole of NBC's Today or CNN's New Day, but I do believe that it could work!
UB
UBox
Once you make it unqiue from GMB and NBC's Today Show, you will be on the right track. This does have potiential.

Suggestions on how I can do this?
DK
DanielK
UBox posted:

Suggestions on how I can do this?

I believe MatthewFirth is meaning a totally original design; logo, straps, titles, music, but keeping with the idea of an online show that is easily accessible and readable on smartphones, and smart TV's, and everything in between.

Newer posts