TV Home Forum

The idents of Christmas past

(November 2015)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
SC
Si-Co
Was the proposed Granada rebrand anything similar to the capital 'G' logo that came along at some point in the 00s? I'm curious as to what they had in mind.
:-(
A former member
Is there any copies of the Robin -heart ident anywhere?
AN
Andrew Founding member
Some more of the 1999 GMG Christmas idents here

MK
Mr Kite
Si-Co posted:
Was the proposed Granada rebrand anything similar to the capital 'G' logo that came along at some point in the 00s? I'm curious as to what they had in mind.

No, that was a totally different thing from a few years later and only concerned Granda as a programme production company and not Granada the regional TV statioon. I think JAS84 is referring to a still which used to be on the Ballistix website which featured a very different G-arrow logo. I think the arrow went right through the G, rather than meeting with the horizontal part. Unfortunately, the website appears to no longer exist. There was other presentation on there too which was never used. I think a lot of it came from the largely aborted rebrand, though I'm sure some were just the graphics guys testing out their ideas. Certainly, that non-standard Granada one looked very experimental and not as good as the existing logo.

I liked GMG North's '99 logos. It was perhaps the high point of the pan-North continuity era (98-02). It suggests to me that their planned rebrand was probably going to be better than the hearts idents we actually got. How exactly they'd have looked and sounded, no one can know for sure but I think they would've essentially been the Yorkshire local idents but with a variety of different backgrounds (not just the same rotating chevrons) and with a few different musical arrangements. The Yorkshire local ones were probably a rushed job, so that they could launch the same day as the hearts. You can tell they were supposed to be full time idents due to the plethora of different variants there were.
LL
Larry the Loafer
Is this the one?

http://tvfeatures.thetvroomplus.com/images-itv-pres-designs/granada.jpg
MK
Mr Kite

Actually, I think it might have been an angel. I think I was getting confused with the robin trailers that aired at Christmas '98. Regardless, it was definitely just the standard hearts idents with something festive zipping across the screen. I've seen it in action (a long time ago) via the internet so it must be there somewhere.

EDIT: from past TV forum threads, it seems official network hearts era Christmas idents were...

'99 - a fairy whizzing about the standard ident
'00 - a robin whizzing about the standard ident
'01 - totally different snow-laden ident with eskimo. Idents said ITV1 with no regional branding.

GMG North didn't use either '99 or '00 but did use '01. Why they had no Christmas idents whatsoever in 2000 is still a mystery to me.
Last edited by Mr Kite on 13 November 2015 11:30pm
AN
Andrew Founding member
The musical arrangement on the Yorkshire local ident version 1 was the part which let them down, very weak sounding compared to the strong sound of the previous spinning chevron.
AN
Andrew Founding member

Actually, I think it might have been an angel. I think I was getting confused with the robin trailers that aired at Christmas '98. Regardless, it was definitely just the standard hearts idents with something festive zipping across the screen. I've seen it in action (a long time ago) via the internet so it must be there somewhere.

It was an angel in 99, you can see in the Tyne Tees clip above.
VM
VMPhil

There was also this 'G' logo used by Granada Media, as seen here at the end of My Parents Are Aliens

:-(
A former member
It seems the Robin may have been the promos from 00 your thinking off:

* https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LklgjbwtGK0
* https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QyHRrF4ewSw
AN
Andrew Founding member
Although to be correct, wouldn't that have been from Children's Ward? MPAA would have had a chevron in the right half.
VM
VMPhil
Although to be correct, wouldn't that have been from Children's Ward? MPAA would have had a chevron in the right half.

Ah yes, just checked my original post from the 'Old Skool Weekend' and it was Children's Ward. I remember seeing that endcap on a MPAA repeat on Nickelodeon a few years ago, but I guess it must have been the chevron?

There was also this oddity from the end of Jungle Run

Newer posts