The Gallery

ITV News Rebrand

Concept, graphic and studio tweaks (October 2015)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
BA
bilky asko
Why don't we just agree that if you aren't providing constructive criticism (or congratulating someone), just stay away from the mock thread.

OK, congratulations for yet another poor mock.

You've made yet another highly derivative new mock that is worse than what we already have.

The title cards are poor - the blocks being all the same size looks wrong; you end up with the title of the programme looking far too small, and the rest of the design looking too rigid and plain. The smaller blocks just make it look messy.

The attention to detail is severely lacking; twenty-to-nine showing as the time at ten o'clock in one block of your News at Ten card; twenty-to-five at midday; the clock barely featuing for the Evening News - it smacks of lazy design: re-use shots from the current titles if needs must.

Having a different logo style featured during the opening to the rest of the programme is strange - it wouldn't go well with the Live strap sometimes featured during the headlines. And what happens when you don't needs "Headlines" or "Breaking News" above the white strap? You'll end up with a misaligned mess - and I think that's why you've left it in (often unnecessarily): to try and hide that.

The logo on the desk is unnecessary, looks messy, and would be very hard to implement (especially in the way you describe). They never fixed the problems they had with the 2009-2013 desk - why would they go to the effort of implementing it for such an unnecessary addition?

There's a lot wrong with this mock; I'm not sure it's redeemable in its current guise.
SomeRandomStuff and Nicky gave kudos
AA
Aaron_2015
Why don't we just agree that if you aren't providing constructive criticism (or congratulating someone), just stay away from the mock thread.

OK, congratulations for yet another poor mock.

You've made yet another highly derivative new mock that is worse than what we already have.

The title cards are poor - the blocks being all the same size looks wrong; you end up with the title of the programme looking far too small, and the rest of the design looking too rigid and plain. The smaller blocks just make it look messy.

The attention to detail is severely lacking; twenty-to-nine showing as the time at ten o'clock in one block of your News at Ten card; twenty-to-five at midday; the clock barely featuing for the Evening News - it smacks of lazy design: re-use shots from the current titles if needs must.

Having a different logo style featured during the opening to the rest of the programme is strange - it wouldn't go well with the Live strap sometimes featured during the headlines. And what happens when you don't needs "Headlines" or "Breaking News" above the white strap? You'll end up with a misaligned mess - and I think that's why you've left it in (often unnecessarily): to try and hide that.

The logo on the desk is unnecessary, looks messy, and would be very hard to implement (especially in the way you describe). They never fixed the problems they had with the 2009-2013 desk - why would they go to the effort of implementing it for such an unnecessary addition?

There's a lot wrong with this mock; I'm not sure it's redeemable in its current guise.

Thank you for providing some good feedback.

I didn't want Big Ben to appear much during the evening news. This mock was about creating distinctive designs for the individual bulletins, but keeping the designs aligned with the current ITV News brand on the whole. Big Ben is a symbol of the NAT, so I didn't want it to feature heavily on the evening news.

The smaller aston above the larger can be used for a huge number of purposes.

I don't think I've justified my ideas very well so far, so I'll attempt it now.

For NAT, the refresh is good, but far too long is spent on the top story. I would change the running order to headlines first (as shown in the graphic), then move into more detailed analysis at 10:15. The headline box would be replaced with the topic of the story so that the main aston can be used for other information. Shown below is a basic example of how the smaller strap can be used effectively:

http://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/h427/AaronWalkerPurse/ITV%20News%20rebrand%2025.001_zpst2z9h0tu.png

I have already addressed the desk:

Quote:
The desk idea was a simple CGI way of making the bulletins more distinctive, without any cost.

Whilst it may not be the best of ideas, I don't believe it would be all that difficult.

I don't think you've really understood my concept, which I understand is entirely my fault for not explaining myself thoroughly.
BA
bilky asko
Ultimately, that second strap is superfluous. The screen doesn't need to be constantly filled with graphics, especially not on a traditional style bulletin. There would be plenty of cases where it would serve no use at all - having it there will highlight its uselessness; not having it there will make it look silly.

As has already been proven, greenscreen elements on the desk front don't work properly. It would probably be cheaper, or at the very least easier, to have a physical element on the desk - even then, it's ultimately unnecessary.

The Clock Tower has been a feature of all ITV News bulletins for over a decade now. You've made the branding more confusing by featuring Number 10 on all of the bulletins, which is currently only featured on News at Ten (for reasons that should be apparent).
SomeRandomStuff and Nicky gave kudos
AA
Aaron_2015
Big Ben is most associated with News At Ten though, so I would prefer to keep it just to that bulletin mainly.

Admittedly, 10 Downing Street shouldn't feature on all of the bulletins.

I personally think the second strap is useful, some will disagree however.
MI
Michael
Big Ben is most associated with News At Ten though, so I would prefer to keep it just to that bulletin mainly.

ITN / ITV have been using the BigBen clock face for all bulletins for the best part of 20-odd years now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZOcnv5G-jI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYK4A8PAPJI
Last edited by Michael on 25 October 2015 4:32pm
SomeRandomStuff, Brekkie and Nicky gave kudos
BR
Brekkie
Arguably the best implementation of it. Shame the Early Evening News version was quickly dropped in favour of a wide studio shot - they could at least have kept a short sting from the moment the minute hand moves into position.

I'd have liked to have seen the 2008 News at Ten sting graphics extended to the other bulletins when they adopted the fantastic (but far too short lived) London view set rather than them continuing with the teal clockface opening despite the teal having long been removed from other graphics on the programme.
Last edited by Brekkie on 25 October 2015 6:36pm - 2 times in total

Newer posts