The Newsroom

International News Presentation: Past and Present

(February 2007)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
CH
Charles
ABC World News Tonight w/David Muir - Update Graphics.

Am I the only one who thinks this new look resembles, if only just so slightly, something seen in France? The L3s in the opening tease are unlike anything seen in the US with the big text, the broadcast date, and minimal graphic treatment. I feel like you could plop this look onto a broadcast like TF1 with a few tweaks and it would still work pretty well.
WW
WW Update
RTL-TVI, Belgium (French-language); first newscast from the RTL House, 2007:

RTL-TVI, Belgium (French-language); last newscast from the old studios, 2007:

IN
Independent
That smartphone journalism model at Fox 46 in Charlotte, NC didn't succeed in impressing viewers.
http://www.charlotteobserver.com/entertainment/tv/media-scene-blog/article28009666.html
MO
Mouseboy33
I figured it wouldnt fly. It wasnt very impressive. It didnt feel very organic. It kinda felt forced. But it was a FOX Network decison to try something new. Too many cooks in the kitchen? Who's to say...
WH
whoiam989
General Election coverage from Portugal's RTP. Here's exit poll:

And at midnight, RTP Informação transformed into RTP3. What an unusual way to rebrand a channel on air:

GL
globaltraffic24
At first sight, it seems crazy to rebrand while in the midst of an election show, but it's actually a VERY smart move. A rebrand of a fairly low-rated news channel would normally fail to get any viewers. To do it during a high rated election show grabs viewer attention. It's probably provided them with a launch spike and might keep the audience for a while, although it would have been fairly confusing for RTP1 viewers, as the whole thing was simulcast on that channel!
WW
WW Update
Kabel Eins, Germany, 2015:

WW
WW Update
SBS6, Netherlands, 2015:

M1, Hungary, 2015:

WH
whoiam989
At first sight, it seems crazy to rebrand while in the midst of an election show, but it's actually a VERY smart move. A rebrand of a fairly low-rated news channel would normally fail to get any viewers. To do it during a high rated election show grabs viewer attention. It's probably provided them with a launch spike and might keep the audience for a while, although it would have been fairly confusing for RTP1 viewers, as the whole thing was simulcast on that channel!

That reminds me of Sky News; their last two graphic refreshes occured with the Genegal Election coverages.

RTP3's showcase of on-screen graphics:

Meanwhile on TVI, an extravaganza of aspect ratio:

In other story, the Sami language TV bulletin Ođđasat is jointly produced by NRK in Norway, SVT in Sweden, and YLE in Finland, but it was always presented from NRK's studio. Ođđasat 's graphic and music package has been different from that of NRK's, but this year's refresh saw it adopting NRK Nyheter's new package right from this same year:
MQ
Mr Q
In other story, the Sami language TV bulletin Ođđasat is jointly produced by NRK in Norway, SVT in Sweden, and YLE in Finland, but it was always presented from NRK's studio. Ođđasat 's graphic and music package has been different from that of NRK's, but this year's refresh saw it adopting NRK Nyheter's new package right from this same year:

Well, if you're going to pick one of those three national broadcasters, I reckon NRK is the best of the bunch. Still loving that news theme.
GL
globaltraffic24
Spot the aston error on Oddasat! The NRK theme is excellent, but I will miss Odddast's distinctive theme. It felt very Sami!
NG
noggin Founding member
Spot the aston error on Oddasat!

Classic.

In truth that is why that style of templating is not a good idea.

If your GUI prompts you with the fields (it will need extra CG codes) then you can leave the content fields in your skeleton running order blank - which would arguably look a lot better (or not be TXed if the playout system senses an incomplete CG request)

I do love the NRK current look and sound - but it is a pity that it isn't a bit more distinctive for Ođđasat.

Newer posts