TV Home Forum

Big Brother: Summer 2015

Timebomb: Ratings crisis? (May 2014)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
TV
TV Archive

It has been confirmed that the new series of Celebrity Big Brother will launch on Thursday 27th August at 9pm. The theme is UK vs USA and is still being sponsored by Lucozade.

Trailer:
Last edited by TV Archive on 14 August 2015 11:42am - 3 times in total
MO
Mouseboy33
Rolling Eyes Right.....
JK
JK08
Rolling Eyes Right.....

Care to elaborate?
VM
VMPhil
Correct video link: https://www.facebook.com/BigBrotherUK/videos/1034931043258812/

30 days later

MO
Mouseboy33
Well i have watched pretty much every episode of CBB2015. Car crash telly. Production wise there are some good things and head scratchers. I know the format is different from the North American versions. But I am unfortunately distracted by the hideous camera framing and the camera placement in general. Its amazing that the show has been on the air so many years and they havent really figured that part out. So many of the shots that are edited together are frankly just strange. The tops of peoples heads or their bottom half of their face or maybe their head is oddly framed in the shot. Or they will use a strange camera that is clear across the other side of the room for a conversation that is taking place in the upper right of the shot. So strange in my opinion. I do see how many have said that "Big Brother" manipulates the housemates. But as I couldnt last for an entire series of the Normo-Series, its clear to see what "Big Brother" does to start fights or disagreements with housemates. Not that the North American version doesnt do it a bit. The other day on CBB UK they had them answer questions about each other in a gameshow format that were clearly used to stir up animosity.

I do like the big bedroom with all the house guests together. Always thought that was a good idea as it forces them to interact more that simple manipulating conflict. In Canada they are all together, the US version they are in 3 chopped up bedrooms. Also i do like the theme that is carried across thoughout..... the graphics and house design. An area that is clearly lacking on the US version. They rarely change anything. Though BB Canada carried through with the Steampunk theme. BB Canada also uses the OTT recap that is similar to BB UK. I noticed how BB UK also uses special lighting in the house (and has done so for years) where as the US version does not have a history of doing anything like that...say for the evictions. BB CAnada turns the house red for evictions and other ceremonies. I know the Diary Room chair is a signature part of the UK show but the camera framing with the wide angle i find annoying and frankly unnecessary. I do like the timestamp but i hate the odd door shots when people are talking in the dairy room. They will show the "eye button" or door whilst someone is midsentence. Its just strange to me. After a while also found the "reaction" faces after each diary session increasingly annoying. And in my opinion it also could have a way of manipulating the viewer in subtle way. And since the show uses a viewer vote is that right? Ehhh who's to say....i dont like it.

Language and nudity aside the US show and to a certain extent the Canadian version is certainly tamer than the UK version. The tone to me seem a bit more sedate strangely i found and its certainly not as flashy as the UK version. In the US I hope that this is the last time we see this house. Its creaky and overun by ants and stuff and its been painted 1000s of times and seeing as they didnt do full remodels of a few things....like the bathroom, im hoping they will upgrade the house, like rip it down and reconfig it. They totally need to sack the design team, its so boring now and it takes the fun out the house since it always looks so similar. They dont design a 360 degree environment. They always neglect the ceiling. Production wise I do think they could ramp up the flash a bit, music, graphics, etc.... but as its on CBS its unlikely it will get any flashier. CBS is typically always been the more conservative of the Big 3.
SP
Steve in Pudsey
The random shot of the diary room door or the eye button are cutaways to disguise edit points where there would otherwise be a jump cut.
DO
dosxuk
The long shots with the people talking not perfectly framed is part of the visual language of reality programmes over here. It reminds viewers that what they're watching is real life, not an episode of The Only Way Is Chelsea Shores. Probably another of the things that we do differently each side of the pond.
London Lite, Steve in Pudsey and bilky asko gave kudos
PF
PFML84
Apparently Gail was caught on the live feed asking a few people if she could borrow one of their mobiles to call a few mates. No-one was phased by this request, so it seems the celebrities are allowed to have their phones in the house with them. Sort of takes away from the whole "no contact with the outside world" element really.
MO
Mouseboy33
The long shots with the people talking not perfectly framed is part of the visual language of reality programmes over here. It reminds viewers that what they're watching is real life, not an episode of The Only Way Is Chelsea Shores. Probably another of the things that we do differently each side of the pond.

I've watched plenty of UK docu-reality programs and I've never noticed that. And IMO its completely unnecessary and add nothing to the program visually.
JO
Jon

I've watched plenty of UK docu-reality programs and I've never noticed that. And IMO its completely unnecessary and add nothing to the program visually.

Ok thanks for that.
SP
Steve in Pudsey
Just a query, is there an American TV Forum that we can post on about how they're doing it wrong and everything should be like in the UK? Laughing
WH
Whataday Founding member
TV Forum: UK v USA

Newer posts