TV Home Forum

This Morning

New look and a brand new set - Moving to TVC Studio 3 on 16th April 2018 (August 2014)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
AG
AxG
Jonny posted:
I don't really care a jot about this programme, all I know is these titles were bloody amazing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=youtube

...whereas the new ones posted look executionally awkward and (perhaps more appropriately) tacky in comparison. Not saying both don't meet their likely briefs, but the above does so spectacularly well, above and beyond what could have been expected.

Loved the titles, and still my favourite theme (even though this is from LN's YouTube which has an extra sound missing)
ME
meridiantvfan
Anyone have some videos? In Australia and ITV have blocked videos Sad

I did try uploading the first 10 mins with the 'tour' of the set etc but it got bocked worldwide Sad

If anyone wants it I can upload to somewhere ? It's about 750MB
TO
TODAY
Really not a fan of including guest names and features in the opening titles, it looks quite tacky to be honest. I much prefer the shortened version, however I think the previous titles by Lambie-Nairn were better.
NG
noggin Founding member
TODAY posted:
Really not a fan of including guest names and features in the opening titles, it looks quite tacky to be honest. I much prefer the shortened version, however I think the previous titles by Lambie-Nairn were better.

I think the concept is good. However the execution doesn't quite hit the aspiration. You really have to nail the art direction in the original shoot AND the execution of the graphic design and compositing has to be spot on for it to work classily. It's very difficult to get right.

Think it was a brave attempt to do something innovative and clever.
Last edited by noggin on 2 September 2015 8:52pm
FA
fanoftv
I'm really liking the new music, something that I didn't think would happen after my love for the 2009 theme and with 2013's let down IMO. The longer version is lovely too.

I know what you mean about the execution. The shoot has a filmic effect to it that the added features - especially the magazine don't.
For me they are very tabloid-esque. Yesterday's weren't so bad but this morning's included 'Reddie Eddie Changes Sex'.

I do like the new top of the programme where Phillip & Holly just have a chat reviewing each other's days and talking about some news stories.

As for the set, it was a much lighter and clear day out of the windows, and with the new presenting angles you get to see some lovely views - if you're bored of the chat.
The curved kitchen works very well, and the extent of the work has even gone onto a door into the green room area rather than just the studio opening. The kitchen fridge and dresser are to the left of this door, so in my reckoning could cut into where the performance area used to be. With the sofa now more central could the performance area be gone with performances now taking place in the fashion/makeover corner used with Gok on the first show back?
WH
Whataday Founding member
Having just caught up on ITV Player, I think the programme flowed much better today and had engaging features all the way through (I felt the introduction of the dog was a bit awkward and jarring yesterday)

Also I think the graphics placed within the titles looked better. Rather than saying "Featuring..." on the taxi, it just said "Meryl Streep Exclusive", plus the poster Phil walks past wasn't as brightly coloured and I think both this helped make them a bit more incidental and in the background.

I love the set, and the table set up. I actually think it would make a great GMB set.
FA
fanoftv
I agree about the features Whataday. It was much more like a typical 'This Morning' where as the first show back, especially after a change is look at us, catch up with the 'family', etc.

There were issues with lighting at the table with the kitchen behind being more brightly lit than Phillip & Holly.
ID
Identity
I must say, I love the new titles and the theme tune. There's so much depth to the theme and id say it's their best yet. But I think im the only one that hates the studio. It's do dark and woody. And yesterday they had the x factor girls walk on from the side where that new tv window is and it just ruined the effect of the window.
WH
Whataday Founding member
Blimey, the stings are so loud. Nearly fell off the sofa after the break.

Although they are used less frequently, often coming from a break with a shot of the studio and the logo overlaid (very American but I like it)

There was also quite a neat bit today where they said "see you after the break", then an Alison Hammond promo played out, and at the end of that it cut to a wide studio shot with logo (while the promo music continued to play).
WH
Whataday Founding member
Test shoot for titles (includes extended version of previous theme):

I actually think the inserts work better in these, particularly at the news stand. Luckily they removed some of the sickly interaction between people (that or the real hosts are better actors!)
bilky asko and mannewskev gave kudos
VM
VMPhil
Already we have a show starting with a serious story, and yes the move in tone from the upbeat titles to the almost sombre start was very jarring.
WH
Whataday Founding member
I really like this set up

I also don't see a problem with the titles jarring with the opening story. It has always been a daytime show that has on occasion tackled difficult issues, and the theme has never needed to be too downbeat.

Coming back from the break with an out of focus shot of the studio.

Last edited by Whataday on 3 September 2015 10:58am - 2 times in total
bkman1990, newswatcher101 and DavidWhitfield gave kudos

Newer posts