The Gallery

Recreating the ITV News theme music

I enjoyed remaking the BBC News music so much so I thought I'd move on to ITV (June 2015)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
JT
JamesTV
Hello TV Forum,

I'm going to "the other side" as people say and recreating the ITV News theme music instead of the BBC's (However, that doesn't mean that I'm stopping my BBC News remakes.)

Here is version 1. Like my first BBC News remake, I'm not saying that this is amazing but I thought it was good enough to get some feedback for.

Here it is (Graphics pixelated to prevent copyright strikes)

I'd love to hear some feedback
Last edited by JamesTV on 9 June 2015 7:59pm
RD
RDJ
I don't quite understand what the mock is supposed to be.

If it's the fact that it sounds like the current theme then it doesn't no, it just sounds like a very basic midi recreation of the theme.

If it's for broadcast on TV then again it's not at that kind of quality.

It's a good midi remake but it sounds like what the theme would sound like on a Windows 98 computer. Sorry if I'm coming across as harsh but I don't understand the merit of the actual mock.
TO
tomo359
Hmm, sounds like (and ironically, looks like) a video game theme song or music from a kids tv show.

Nice remix, but not for the news.
JT
JamesTV
RDJ posted:
I don't quite understand what the mock is supposed to be.

If it's the fact that it sounds like the current theme then it doesn't no, it just sounds like a very basic midi recreation of the theme.

If it's for broadcast on TV then again it's not at that kind of quality.

It's a good midi remake but it sounds like what the theme would sound like on a Windows 98 computer. Sorry if I'm coming across as harsh but I don't understand the merit of the actual mock.

It's just a remake of the current theme in Garageband. Garageband is a very limiting piece of music creation software and creating something as advanced as the ITV News theme in Garageband is challenging. But as I said, this is version 1 of the remake and if you look how far my BBC News countdown music remake (http://www.tvforum.co.uk/thegallery/recreating-bbc-news-countdown-music-40658/page-5#post-962058) has come, then you will understand what the end product may be like.

The reason I posted it on here was for feedback so thanks for the feedback
JT
JamesTV
Hmm, sounds like (and ironically, looks like) a video game theme song or music from a kids tv show.

Nice remix, but not for the news.

Thanks for the feedback, my final outcome for my BBC News theme remake is this: http://www.tvforum.co.uk/thegallery/recreating-bbc-news-countdown-music-40658/page-5#post-962058 so I'm hoping to develop my ITV News remake as far as my BBC one.

BBC News is quite simple. A bassline, some percussion, and some strings and PIPS. ITV News is slightly more complex and Garageband doesn't offer a massive range of instruments, thats where the challenge comes in. Trying to produce something great in limiting software
JU
Justin
Definitely not as good as your BBC News remakes. If you can't get significantly better with GarageBand, then don't bother at all. Good luck though.
JT
JamesTV
Definitely not as good as your BBC News remakes. If you can't get significantly better with GarageBand, then don't bother at all. Good luck though.

After comparing it to the real one side by side, I understand what you mean. I'll look into different software for this one. GarageBand is almost perfect for the BBC News theme but sadly not as good for the ITV News theme
NI
Nicky
No offence JamesVids - I agree that your BBC News recreations are better than this one - but I don't think you should be blaming GarageBand here. It's all about how you're using the software in order to develop your skills. I was making music of the very same calibre as the work you're posting here back when I was a teen. I persisted with GarageBand over the (many) years since then and have actually managed to create a number of decent sounding compositions... and recreations, of course! Do keep at it and you'll end up being surprised at what you can do with what you're calling a 'limiting' software.
SomeRandomStuff and JamesTV gave kudos
FI
FrancisIdents
It sounds like the sort of thing you'd hear on one of the "National Lottery" gameshows on BBC1.

It's a decent composition, but it definitely doesn't say ITV News. Two stars from me.

RDJ posted:
It's a good midi remake but it sounds like what the theme would sound like on a Windows 98 computer.
Not even that, maybe 3.1 Laughing
JT
JamesTV
It sounds like the sort of thing you'd hear on one of the "National Lottery" gameshows on BBC1.

It's a decent composition, but it definitely doesn't say ITV News. Two stars from me.

RDJ posted:
It's a good midi remake but it sounds like what the theme would sound like on a Windows 98 computer.
Not even that, maybe 3.1 Laughing

Haha, I have to agree with you about the lottery bit. I'll focus on BBC news remakes since I'm better at them
Last edited by JamesTV on 13 June 2015 8:21pm
MF
MatthewFirth
You would probably make a better job doing the classic "The Awakening" from the original News at Ten area using Garage Band.
CoreyLHughes and JamesTV gave kudos

18 days later

JT
JamesTV
Here's version 2. It's been a few weeks but I've worked on this a little more, to try and move away from the National Lottery style music. Stripped back most of the synths and made it sound a lot more Newsy (technical term)

Newer posts