(January 2006)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
JA
Jake
BT Sport Europe

Last edited by Jake on 6 June 2015 11:35pm
EL
elmarko
Awful motion tracking on the club logos at the end. Ugh.
RK
Rkolsen
I watched a bit of the opening of the Women's World Cup and must say I am impressed with the studio Fox built. It looks amazing and rivals ESPN's last year in Brazil. They have their own miniature football pitch which uses augmented reality.

Telemundo appears to be taking the conservative route by some people in Canada but most of their coverage was based out of their studios in Hialeh, FL. I must say it's a bit odd hearing their sports branded as NBC Deportes but I guess it will take time to get used to. I assume they rebranded to NBC Deportes to brand extend the NBC Sports brand name where you think of major events and broadcasts.
MR
mromega
Awful motion tracking on the club logos at the end. Ugh.

Originally thought this as well, but watching again it just appears to be an unstable banner.

These BT ads don't work for me, similar to the behind the scenes Ewan McGregor one.
NW
nwtv2003
Jake posted:
BT Sport Europe

I found that tweeted not long after full time last night by a certain Mr Lineker...
HA
harshy Founding member
Is the BBC using the official fifa titles for the ladies football World Cup?, it looks like it to me, maybe Fifa allow the broadcasters to do their own thing at the end?
RK
Rkolsen
Fox Sports seems to have some issues down converting the world feed from what I assume is 1080i59 to their resolution of chose 720p60. The way it's down converting it's makes interlacing very apparent on their SD, HD and streaming feeds of the channel. I don't know why they are having this issue as they've taken host feeds from 1080i before hand with no issues. For example their broadcast network carried the Champions League Final with no issues. Since the match was produced in Europe I assume the game was produced at 1080i50.

Telemundo which broadcasts in 1080i59 had none of the issues that Fox Sports had on their SD, HD and HD online streams.
NG
noggin Founding member
1080/50i (aka 1080i25) to 1080/59.94i (aka 1080i29.97) conversion will require a full standards converter like a Snell Alchemist, For.A FRC8000 or similar, because there is a frame/field-rate conversion to be done. These boxes will do a great job.

1080/59.94i to 720/59.94p (aka 720p59.94) should be done by a similar quality device but because it is a cross conversion between content at the same refresh rates (59.94) you can get away with using much cheaper devices (simple Up/Downs will do it), though not always with great results...

NRK and SVT use similar boxes for their 1080i to 720p cross-conversion - as they both largely produce 1080/50i in-house but broadcast in 720/50p - so have Alchemists or similar in master control.
EL
elmarko
Surprised that anyone in Europe does 720p
NG
noggin Founding member
Surprised that anyone in Europe does 720p

It's quite common outside the UK.

SVT in Sweden, NRK in Norway, DR in Denmark, ARD and ZDF in Germany all use 720/50p for broadcast. HOWEVER NRK and SVT produce internally either in 1080/25p or 1080/50i (aka 1080p25 or 1080i25) and cross-convert on transmission (I don't think any of them are using 1080/50p internally yet). I think Sky Italia use 720p for their sports channels as well (I may be wrong)

It does seem to be partially a PSB thing though - as TV3 pan-Nordic, TV4 in Sweden, as I think are the two unrelated TV2s in Norway and Denmark - are all 1080i.

I've got a Blu-ray of an SVT series which was 720/50p (and shot 25p) - so I think they may have done some original production in 720p at one point - but AIUI these days their internal studios, OB trucks and location stuff is all 1080.he

The EBU, after research carried out by SVT, was pushing 720/50p over 1080/50i at one point, because deinterlacing at the consumer level wasn't great, and 1080i needed higher bitrates for the same perceived picture quality as 720p. However Sky and the BBC did tests which didn't match the results that SVT got - so 1080i became the dominant standard in the UK. For 1080/25p acquired material, there does seem to definitely be a benefit to 1080p carried over 1080i when compared with 720p - and this is becoming more pronounced as 2160p displays (aka UHD1 "4K") become more popular. 720p on a 2160p display looks noticably softer to me.
Last edited by noggin on 7 June 2015 12:33pm - 2 times in total
BR
Brekkie
Jake posted:
BT Sport Europe

And I thought Sky Sports 5 was the "new home of European football". Wink

They seem to be being very cagey on the pricing for this. Wouldn't be surprised to see some of the European Rugby move to the channel too.
RD
rdd Founding member
The BT Sport Europe commercial is being run on ITV (well UTV anyway) during the Republic of Ireland v England game. Strange they didn't plump for BT Sport 3.

On the subject of said game it seems ITV and Setanta are using two seperate camera crews on each side of the Aviva. This is an interesting one in that large portions of Ireland fans will be watching on ITV as Setanta is neither free to air nor HD on satellite.

Newer posts