TV Home Forum

Doctor Who

Series 8 (May 2014)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
RI
Richard
Multi posted:
I can't remember the theme playing... Hmm.

It was about 6½ mins in, during the montage of news reports from around the world. Didn't notice it the first time but it's there in the background.
MU
Multi
Multi posted:
I can't remember the theme playing... Hmm.

It was about 6½ mins in, during the montage of news reports from around the world. Didn't notice it the first time but it's there in the background.

So it is!
RI
Richard
Col posted:
A 2014 episode of Doctor Who. Perhaps the most surprising place to hear the 1993 UTV Live theme tune...

I haven't watched the latest episode yet, so I presume the scene went like this.

Quote:
The Doctor walks up to the TARDIS console wearing the test card suit recommended by fellow TV presentation enthusiast Christopher Rowe, and looks at the 4:3 monitor in front of him.

"Clara, do you know what my favourite regional news TV theme ever is?"

"Doctor, you really have changed."

The Doctor presses buttons furiously, and manages to find a clip of the theme tune in action.

"The 1993 UTV Live theme, Clara!"

The Doctor plays the clip. Clara looks bemused.

"How could you like that? The 1996 North East Tonight theme tune is obviously superior."

"Clara, we could disagree over this until the cows come home. But at least we can agree that the 1990s was a decade of genius for local television news theme tunes."

"Doctor, why have you brought this up?"

"Clara, how would you like to travel back to 1993? You could witness televisual history as it's played out for the first time!"

"I think you know the answer to that, Doctor."

The Doctor pulls a lever, and the TARDIS starts to travel.

The credits then roll, and reveal the episode has been written by someone going by the pseudonym "David O'Lowe".

My vote for post of the decade! 👍 😄
CR
Critique
Certainly not the plot twist I was expecting... Won't spoil it for those yet to watch.
JC
JCB
Certainly not the plot twist I was expecting... Won't spoil it for those yet to watch.

I thought that's who she might be. Maybe testing the water. It makes sense to test switch that charcter before....well you know.

8 days later

CG
Charlie Gough
Introducing Nick Frost as Santa Claus. Doctor Who returns on Christmas Day on BBC One.

ST
Stuart
I like the shot of the 'Alien-esque' slimy jaw. Laughing
CG
Charlie Gough
The first preview from this year’s Doctor Who Christmas Special, broadcast during BBC Children in Need 2014.

:-(
A former member
Are fewer people interested in Doctor Who these days? The lack of commentary on here might suggest so. For example I'm surprised (having been a way for a week) how there's been nothing said about the edited titles to put Coleman's name first and replacing Capaldi's eyes with hers.

To me, there's been nothing outstanding about this series and Capaldi hasn't been that brilliant - though that is down to the writing more than his abilities. To my mind, I think its time to put Doctor Who to rest for a while.
:-(
A former member
How about a new writer?
Charlie Gough and Critique gave kudos
BA
Bail Moderator
Are fewer people interested in Doctor Who these days? The lack of commentary on here might suggest so. For example I'm surprised (having been a way for a week) how there's been nothing said about the edited titles to put Coleman's name first and replacing Capaldi's eyes with hers.

I had to rewatch on iPlayer to catch that, totally missed it when I watched first time around!

For me the problem with this series is that it's been all Clara orientated and almost ignoring the brand new Doctor standing next to her.
FA
fanoftv
I agree somewhat about the Clara entered series, plus the annoying Danny Pink character that was forced about viewers to rush a relationship. Part of my issue with the finale is that I never liked Danny, yet him being in control of the army in a way had him being the hero with the Doctor again being on the sideline.
It's clear that Moffat is trying the change the dynamics of the Doctor but it's going to start grating on some viewers (if not already) and become a mix of over complicated plot devices.

I personally didn't think that Tennant hit the ground running on his first season and that an emphasis on Rose helped to carry that, it could be simply that Clara has been the fixed pin through the regeneration, so keeping focus on her has allowed viewers to slowly get used to the new Doctor.

I've enjoyed Peter's performances, and think that he will build the character well, however I'm not sure how much longer the Doctor and Clara partnership can continue.

Newer posts