Mass Media & Technology

NOW TV

Now just er...NOW. (October 2014)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
LL
London Lite Founding member
Since subscribing to NOW TV, I've noticed a bug with the desktop version where the website can't detect Silverlight with the 64 bit version using Windows 7.

Downgrading back to Chrome 32 bit resolves the issue.

There are no issues using IE11 or Firefox.
Last edited by London Lite on 16 March 2021 9:32pm - 30 times in total
PA
paul_hadley
http://www.reddit.com/r/chrome/comments/2etuc6/chrome_64bit_has_broken_chrome_for_me/

They think installing the latest Beta version fixes it:

https://www.google.com/chrome/browser/beta.html?platform=win64
DV
DVB Cornwall
Worthwhile mentioning that Roku who make the NOW TV box for BSB have recently received another cash injection from BSB of $700K.
LL
I understand LG had exclusivity on the smart tv app until this summer. When will we see the likes of Samsung getting the app?
MI
Michael
NOW TV box a waste of money. Why buy what is basically a crippled ROKU box when you can get a ROKU box with the NOW TV app available on it alongside 749 other apps?
JA
Jake
NOW TV box a waste of money. Why buy what is basically a crippled ROKU box when you can get a ROKU box with the NOW TV app available on it alongside 749 other apps?

Because its only £10.
MI
Michael
Still seems like you get what you pay for - not a lot considering the content reward of going up to a £40 Roku.
LL

There will be people enticed to buy just to watch the NOW TV package and not interested in watching international channels or Netflix/Amazon Prime. The pass packs with the box to the average consumer are also value for money. They will see the value of the back catalogue/live channels than the build of the box.
DV
DVB Cornwall
For me it's been a way in to watch the US Open Tennis and Ryder Cup at minimal cost. The addition of all the PSB catch up players is useful too. The recent addition to Apple TV of more Now TV content is great, being a more stable platform.
LL
Currys/PC World are doing a Chromecast with three months Entertainment Pass for £30.
JO
Jon

The NOW TV box isn't a waste of money if all you want is say catch up services and YouTube for a TV in a second room, I've no interest in Netflix or similar which is the only big one missing from Now TV. For me a Roku box may have been a waste of money and it certainly takes it to the point where you have to think about the purchase a bit more, whereas the Now TV boxes are bit like Poundland purchases it's at a price where you can't go far wrong and you get a little bonus subscription content for that price too.
LL
Jon posted:

The NOW TV box isn't a waste of money if all you want is say catch up services and YouTube for a TV in a second room, I've no interest in Netflix or similar which is the only big one missing from Now TV. For me a Roku box may have been a waste of money and it certainly takes it to the point where you have to think about the purchase a bit more, whereas the Now TV boxes are bit like Poundland purchases it's at a price where you can't go far wrong and you get a little bonus subscription content for that price too.

The £9.99 NOW TV box seems to be typical Sky subsidisation. Virtually give them away for less than cost price and profit from customers paying for the premium passes. That's how the likes of Gillette also work selling razors.

You don't also have to sign up for NOW TV as the other apps work without subscription. A very cheap way of accessing the main catch-up services from the PSB's if you don't have a smart tv or if the smart tv doesn't supply all of them. Although it seems even the cheap as chips sets all have iPlayer.

However the rise of the Entertainment pass to £6.99 later this month is still pretty decent compared to Sky's basic ent pack despite slating of some programmes on the live channels.

Newer posts