The Gallery

Sky News Sunrise

My first studio mock - the basic DNA for an idea of a new studio (July 2014)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
AS
ASO
Hi all,

This is my first studio mock.

I started this mock a while back and I thought it was time to get some opinions from everyone about it.

I think the current set is quite cheap looking, especially the sofa so I thought I'd give it a go.

I've not done anything revolutionary but I plan to add lots of things - but I do not want to change the layout.

- I've added a ticker
- I've made the floor wood
- I'm putting Isabel at the desk too - I think it looks like she's just a spare part at the moment. Of course, this could be more versatile - they would both be at the desk at times, they would both be on the sofa at times.
- I've made the sofa bigger (everything's bigger actually) - this allows parts of the show to be done with both presenters and a guest on the sofa.
- I've done these things for a reason - having them sitting at the desk or sofa together should theoretically make it look like they have more chemistry and bring them closer together, as supposed to Eamonn being the presenter and the other woman being a sidekick.

Apologies for using TV3 News' backdrop - it's just a placeholder to give you an idea - obviously it would be in Sky News Centre so a Lightwell work is not needed. I am attempting to make a newsroom from scratch. Hope this isn't a problem.

General view:
For the papers:

They could use this for the paper review, Afternoon Live (as they do now) and other bits and pieces.

Feedback is greatly received - and please bear in mind that this is my first studio mock. Smile
Last edited by ASO on 12 August 2014 8:26pm - 2 times in total
LE
Leah
That's amazing! I will gather my thoughts and give you feedback in due course. Very Happy
AS
ASO
Leah posted:
That's amazing! I will gather my thoughts and give you feedback in due course. Very Happy

Thanks - quick reply!
HB
HarryB
I think the ticker at the stop of the studio should have a more of a 'sky' branding cooperated into it. It just looks like you've typed out some white text and made the background black.

IMO, white on blue because it's sky, and then sky news logo inbetween each story like GMB has. That would look nice.

Overall a good studio mock! Better than my studio mocks that are too bad to upload!!!
AS
ASO
I think the ticker at the stop of the studio should have a more of a 'sky' branding cooperated into it. It just looks like you've typed out some white text and made the background black.

IMO, white on blue because it's sky, and then sky news logo inbetween each story like GMB has. That would look nice.

Overall a good studio mock! Better than my studio mocks that are too bad to upload!!!

Thanks. I did have the ticker blue to fit in with the Sky News branding like you say - but I just didn't think it looked right. I can upload a picture of that though, if you like.

Thanks a lot for the response. Smile
TW
tweedledum
I like this. Very simple, and fresh, while also being similar...

- The ticker at the top I think should curve around the 'wall'.

- I, personally am not a major fan of the orange glass, behind the desk. Looks a bit cheap to me. I would prefer to see the newsroom, but that is just my personal 'taste'.

As I said, I like this. Would like to see this rendered too. Very Happy 3/5 from me
GM
GMCameron
I really like your mock, it is really fresh and modern. I think the orange glass brightens up the background highlighting the newsroom. The ticker is a great addition.

Keep up the good work Smile
AS
ASO
Thank you very much to tweedledum and GMCameron too.

Your feedback is gratefully received.

Also thanks to HenryL96 who I've been PMing for a while and gave me some really useful feedback.

I will do something with the ticker.

Opinion is split about the orange screen! I think I'll keep it and perhaps make it more translucent. I did try this but the colour was wrong.

Thanks all.Smile
DW
DavidWhitfield
I can only echo others' comments, ASO, that this is a really good mock. I love the use of white and orange to make it bright and vibrant while still being 'serious-looking' enough for news. I, too, love the idea of having a ticker in the studio, GMB-style, and would love to see it in different colours, such as the blue you described. Really excellent work. Smile
CR
Critique
Not sure why this is getting credit, as it's ultimately a half finished, off brand studio in an imaginary space. It uses much more space than Sunrise currently has, and as SVRS always says, studio mocks should fit into actual dimensions, not ones you've plucked out of thin air.

The current space is currently known as the 'shoebox', whilst your set is much bigger compared to the current one - where has this space came from? Then, what is the screen set-up your using in this new set? It's much bigger than the current plasma they use, and also appears to be curved - unless you've also found the space to set up rear projection for this new screen, or Sky News will be engaging in a Product Placement deal for new curved Samsung TV screens, your set elements also don't make sense.

Also, whilst I appreciate the use of orange is to make it more breakfasty, it doesn't blend in well with the rest of the set, and the ticker, asides from just being a copy and paste 'it looked good on Good Morning Britain so if I put one in here my mock will be FAB', is, as others have mentioned, off brand and odd-looking. It also leads me back to dimensions - how is the ticker made? LEDs? Really tiny bevel-less plasmas? There's no point doing a studio mock if it wouldn't actually work! The set as a whole is off brand, and basically attempts to tack together some elements like wooden flooring used on 'warm' morning programmes whilst keeping the professional environment of Sky News. It's unrendered too, so doesn't benefit from reflections or anything, which would at least make it look less like a cartoon.

And finally, there's the newsroom. It's just some poorly lined up bits of a Lightwell design, that wasn't even for Sky News! As a result, the newsroom itself looks bad, and as there are four clear corners where you've just textured the walls, the perspective looks odd and the mock is cheapened further. Despite all the other foibles, an actual, decent recreation of the newsroom would be a good start, and it'd even make you begin to consider the space available for the set. A while ago I set about recreating their current newsroom, and whilst it's still a while off completion, it is far superior to some photos, with or without a render...

All in all, this is a poor mock - lots to be done to get it up to an acceptable standard IMO.
Kevizz MS, SomeRandomStuff and JK08 gave kudos
SR
SomeRandomStuff
Agree with all of what Critique has said.

1/5 - Awful.
AJ
AJ
I wouldn't say it's awful, or even poor. Technically it's a good studio design, it just lacks the context of the Sky News Centre.

As Critique said, it should fit in the actual dimensions of the studio - and this set is far too large for the current space that Sunrise occupies - unless, that is, that you're proposing a wider redesign of the whole of the Sky News Centre - but again, there doesn't seem to be anywhere for the main Sky News set to go.

I think people are being a little harsh in saying that it's awful, because it isn't. It's just not good. There's far worse designs on here. Each to their own though.

Newer posts