TV Home Forum

Good Morning Britain - the launch

(April 2014)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
WH
Whataday Founding member
Cando posted:
Mark Jefferies from The Mirror seems to be quite positive about the show, he's said about it being 100k up yesterday (which is a big rise after Wednesday's drop, we must remember) and said it's something to build on if it keeps the same figure next week.

Susanna even favourited his tweet, and when asked by a viewer whether she regretted moving from the BBC to ITV, she replied telling him to 'look at the latest figures' Laughing

Which show BBC Breakfast over 1.6m, up from when she hosted last year and GMB down on Daybreak with Lorraine and Aled Shocked .

Cando, everyone has their opinions, but I have to admit your constant berating of Daybreak & GMB is tiring and come across as somewhat bitter. Were you sacked from GMTV or something?
DW
DavidWhitfield
Interesting video about the life of a TV reporter: http://www.itv.com/goodmorningbritain/news/life-on-the-road-with-nick-dixon
MO
Mouseboy33
Well ratings aren't going to change overnight. So for people to ringing the death knell is a bit premature. Peoples' morning habits are strongly entrenched, so if GMB continues to plow ahead and make waves they may attract a financially sustainable audience. Let the BBC do their thing and ITV do their thing. Its like comparing apples to oranges when you compare the 2 programs. So you can say one is better than the other but at the end of the day they are appealing to 2 completely difference audiences.

Watching GMB its glaringly obvious thats its core demographic are moms and women. BBC Breakfast is restrained in that it has to appeal to "everyone". I think this was a smart tactic by ITV. BBC Breakfast has the quiet ultra conservative serious sector filled and filled well. Let them do their thing. ITV is a big commercial network. It doesnt have the constraints that the BBC does. So if they want to do a "big glossy" morning show, I say good on you. But if you are going to do it, DO IT WELL! Go big or go home. There are still some weird quirks, that drive me up the wall about British news (vice versa Im sure), but its a very good effort by ITV indeed. They just have to stay the course. Hopefully ITV doesnt get cold feet. ITV morning shows are similar to what happened to CBS. Unable to compete with GMA and the behemoth that was TODAY, they switch format, anchors, graphics, music and sets 1000s of times. Before finally settling on a successful serious broadcast CBS THIS MORNING. Whilst the ratings arent the same as GMA or TODAY, for CBS they have grown and its a respected broadcast.

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2014/04/24/cbs-this-morning-is-up-12-in-viewers-season-to-date-the-highest-percentage-growth-among-the-networks/257216/
If ITV can financially sustain GMB then they should happy with audience they are able to carve out. If they can grow that audience good on them.
WH
Whataday Founding member
Yes and ITV will financially sustain it in my opinion. Don't forget, it may be 2nd to BBC Breakfast, but the BBC can't sell advertising.
TV
TV Matters
For anyone not see this part of the studio:
http://www.itv.com/goodmorningbritain/money/martin-lewis
NE
neilly
I echo the comments of others in that it's simply far too early to judge whether GMB will be a success or another breakfast flop. It will take many months probably until the autumn to see if the show has potential to build it's audience. The ratings for launch week have been interesting. Yes, as expected declines on Tuesday and Wednesday. But, to be fair the retention rates for Thursday was better. GMB needs to stabilise the viewing figures first and foremost.

As Cando points out it is down like for like compared to Daybreak's rating last year. Yet, it's an improved performance from last Thursday where Daybreak attracted 560,000 viewers whilst Breakfast have gained viewers over the week. Having watched the programme this week I would say a solid launch with some tweaks to make. In terms of comparing the launch of GMB and Daybreak there does seem to be more confidence and positivity about the show. Whether that will make a difference in the longer term remains to be seen.

My concern is that if there is no significant improvement or decline that they'll go back to their old editorial ways and move the show backwards i.e. Daybreak v1 and v2. I listened to Richard Bacon's radio show interviewing Helen Warner posted on the forum earlier in the week and she made it clear the target audience was very much housewives with children. I hope they stick the original format as much possible with some improvements. I agree with many others I think they should axe the competition slots once and for all. It serves no real purpose and could free up air time. I find the pace a wee bit too fast. The interviews are too quick and could be a little more in-depth. The interaction between the presenters has improved as the week has gone on. But, they could do with more interaction with the viewers by reading e-mails and comments more often.

I think it would help connecting with viewers if each presenter had clearly defined role. I would be better to have Main Anchors, News, Sport and Weather anchor. Yes, a bit too American although it would help as it's still confusing. For me, the stand out presenter of the show, like others have said has been Charlotte. Whatever your opinions are I think she has come across the most likeable and professional. She seems more relaxed than Susanna and has better chemistry with Ben and others. The next few weeks will be interesting as we approach the summer holidays.
MA
mark Founding member
For anyone not see this part of the studio:
http://www.itv.com/goodmorningbritain/money/martin-lewis

Have they actually had anyone performing in the performance area yet? Not sure it works as well for interviews as the sofa or chairs, which both look great.

My concern is that if there is no significant improvement or decline that they'll go back to their old editorial ways and move the show backwards i.e. Daybreak v1 and v2.

I really hope they've learned that this just won't work. They've tried it twice now and all it's done is lose them viewers.
Last edited by mark on 2 May 2014 4:21pm
LL
London Lite Founding member
The handover from network to ITV London and back again earlier today, for those who haven't seen how it's done.

KelpieP0921 and gmb2014 gave kudos
:-(
A former member
I think it would help connecting with viewers if each presenter had clearly defined role. I would be better to have Main Anchors, News, Sport and Weather anchor. Yes, a bit too American although it would help as it's still confusing.

How is it confusing?
NE
neilly
Apart from Sean who focuses on Sport, there is no real distinction between Susanna, Ben and Susanna when covering news stories or even interviews in my own opinion. One of the major criticisms evident on the social network sites from viewers is that they believe there's too many presenters on at the same time. I think for the format to engage more with viewers it would be helpful to have specific roles i.e. they can associate more easily with each presenter. It will take a long time for viewers to get to know the new presenting team and settle with the new format.
BA
bazinga
The handover from network to ITV London and back again earlier today, for those who haven't seen how it's done.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbApRmmsr2g

Much smoother there, than here that's for sure!
JK
JK08
http://www.newscaststudio.com/2014/04/29/good-morning-britain-debuts-on-itv/

Newer posts