The Newsroom

BBC News | Presenter & Correspondent Reshuffles

JULY 2019 | Nuala McGovern Joins BBC World News TV (April 2014)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
TV
TVAND
Yalda Hakim is a good journalisy, but a terrible presenter IMO
JW
JamesWorldNews
David Bond is also to leave BBC News.
LX
lxflyer
Katy Watson has taken up a new post as Business Correspondent based in Sao Paolo.
Aleem Maqbool has moved from Islamabad to Washington.
MA
Matrix
David Bond is also to leave BBC News.

That's quite a big issue, as an Editor. Mahir Bose did pretty much the same didn't he? (Relatively short time in post and then migrated to the Times, if memory serves).
MI
mirage7
Bond is taking a job at a pr firm run by a former royal spin doctor
BA
bazinga
There seems to be a lot of departures of late, with the BBC not replacing any of them, or at least waiting a while. To me, it doesn't matter which presenters present at any time, or if they have a ceritian slot, frankly i couldn't care less but clearly some do. And there does need to be a familiarity of presenters for programmes such as Breakfast, so viewers can built up trust in it, relate to them etc.
Surely, a reashuffle is needed within BBC news, promoting presenters and using the talent they have, rather than bringing people in.
JW
JamesWorldNews
There seems to be a lot of departures of late, with the BBC not replacing any of them, or at least waiting a while. To me, it doesn't matter which presenters present at any time, or if they have a ceritian slot, frankly i couldn't care less but clearly some do. And there does need to be a familiarity of presenters for programmes such as Breakfast, so viewers can built up trust in it, relate to them etc.
Surely, a reashuffle is needed within BBC news, promoting presenters and using the talent they have, rather than bringing people in.

Building up trust in and relating to presenters applies equally to other slots as much as it does to the Breakfast slot, especially on the global World News channel, where "Breakfast" is at different times of London output depending on where in the world you are!

The Naga Munchetty 5am bulletin will be shown at 4pm in Sydney, for example. So, familiar faces at regular times applies around the clock.

A reshuffle internally, as implied in your closing statement, probably somewhat answers your opening statement in the first paragraph.

Whilst World has always had reasonably fixed slots with fixed faces, AJE proves that such a scenario is not essential. I agree with you in that regard.
BA
bazinga

Building up trust in and relating to presenters applies equally to other slots as much as it does to the Breakfast slot, especially on the global World News channel, where "Breakfast" is at different times of London output depending on where in the world you are!

The Naga Munchetty 5am bulletin will be shown at 4pm in Sydney, for example. So, familiar faces at regular times applies around the clock.

A reshuffle internally, as implied in your closing statement, probably somewhat answers your opening statement in the first paragraph.

Whilst World has always had reasonably fixed slots with fixed faces, AJE proves that such a scenario is not essential. I agree with you in that regard.

Yes, i suppose your right. My thought was that, a rolling news channel doesn't need such familiarity with the presenters slots but needs a team of familiar faces, if you get what i'm trying to say.
NY
NYTV

Yes, i suppose your right. My thought was that, a rolling news channel doesn't need such familiarity with the presenters slots but needs a team of familiar faces, if you get what i'm trying to say.

If BBC World News is that short on presenting talent, they could take a page of NHK World and swap the news presenters every hour.
AA
AdamABC
So in regards to the Jon Sopel move, is the role of Editor classed as a more senior position than having your own show?
WA
watchingtv
So in regards to the Jon Sopel move, is the role of Editor classed as a more senior position than having your own show?

Maybe there is more money & experience in this role if he hasnt done it before.
AA
AdamABC

Maybe there is more money & experience in this role if he hasnt done it before.

I suppose the experience is quite amazing if you haven't done it before, although, with global, he got to present live from many locations. Would an editor really be paid more than a lead anchor, though? It's also nice that we can get to see Jon again back on domestic screens more often.

Newer posts