Media Websites

Happy Birthday, TV Forum!

(March 2014)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
TW
tweedledum
I joined coming up 2 years ago. That was after hanging about, which I done from early 2010, when GMTV was 'winding down'... Thanks to Asa for providing this truly brilliant website and the mods. Hopefull the site will celebrate for many years to come!
DA
David
Probably time to close it down now. I think if it were to continue I would like to see Asa pay people for posting. Maybe 50p a year for those who have been a member for 10 years or longer and 20p a year to new members. Also, an off topic board would be nice. There are often threads that stray off topic and its a shame when the mods end up deleting posts in the middle of an ongoing conversation. Moving the posts to an off topic forum would make more sense.
AS
ASO
And what would Asa gain from that?
JO
Jonny
ASO posted:

A warm fuzzy feeling for giving something back to the community?

(happy birthday!)
PA
paul_hadley
Happy birthday!
JO
Jon
ASO posted:

Are you suggesting the closure is the way to go then?
AS
ASO
Not at all. Why should either things happen?
WH
Whataday Founding member
David posted:
Probably time to close it down now. I think if it were to continue I would like to see Asa pay people for posting. Maybe 50p a year for those who have been a member for 10 years or longer and 20p a year to new members. Also, an off topic board would be nice. There are often threads that stray off topic and its a shame when the mods end up deleting posts in the middle of an ongoing conversation. Moving the posts to an off topic forum would make more sense.

The last time TVF had an off topic forum, we got into all sorts of trouble. Zipper

I joined this place from the old NotBBC TV forum in 2001. It was September 11th, and I faced a torrent of abuse from NotBBC members for daring to discuss how TV was covering it, presentation wise. Apparently it was insensitive beyond belief. I soon found a home here! Laughing
BH
BillyH Founding member
It is extremely bizarre - but slightly incredible - to think that I've now been posting on this forum for half of my entire life. In the spring of 2001 I was twelve and a half years old and struggling with the terrifying new world of Year 7 and secondary school. The internet was a wonderful place to explore at the end of every school day, immersing myself in a world where - for the most part - people thought and communicated far more intelligently than the thuggish bullies I mostly seemed to encounter in reality.

Presentation and television in general has changed a huge amount since - the BBC had idents almost unchanged from the early 1990s, ITV was made up of several seperate regions and the majority of the country still only recieved five television channels via an analogue television aerial. While it's a shame that many threads from the very early days no longer exist, on one hand I'm somewhat relieved as while I thought myself to be somewhat of a genius at the time, my childhood posting days were very much quantity over quality and I'd perhaps be extremely embarrassed to re-look at my old posts now. Saying that, despite the circumstances I'm greatful that the 9/11 thread was archived - that was the first major news story I followed and commented on through the internet, posting on both the forum and in the chatroom despite the extremely high dial-up fees it entailed.

For a website to survive thirteen years, particularly with the same original owner, is somewhat astonishing and a huge achievement. I wish it a very happy 13th and all the best for its forthcoming teenage years.
-Billy "still not related to Asa" Hicks
BK
bkman1990
A Happy belated Birthday from me to the TV forum. I have been here for over 2 years and I thoroughly enjoy it.
BA
Bail Moderator
Billy, you sound almost like me there! Amazing how this place has had such an impact.

It's in part down to this forum and having a place to chat about the geekery that is TV; that I now earn my living in the weird world of television. It's also in part of a friend who introduced me to Napster and I downloaded the wrong file (wanted a radio 1 jingle, got the 1999 N24 countdown) from then on I was doomed!

Many years later I've been lucky enough to work on some of those very shows I got so geeky about. I've traveled the world, and at the end of it all even after a horrendous 14 hour filming day, I'll still pop onto TVF and see what’s going on.

I've met a few of you and made good friends in real life with members of the forum, as well as some I've never met, and probably really should. Perhaps in 2 years time we'll book a pub somewhere and have a TVForum pub quiz, because I think that would be hilarious!

Oh and there was that time when I banned every member... myself included... cough.
DA
David
I think it must have been slightly before my time but wasn't there a period when one of the moderators was a 12 year old boy?

Newer posts