TV Home Forum

The Big Breakfast

Where life used to start at 7. (January 2014)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
FA
fanoftv
But for me Amanda was one of the good things about the last year or so.
I do think like most things in tv they were too quick to change things, and I still like the modern approach that they took. The colours that were used and the logo were a departure, but in a good way. The main problem may have been the host combination, and possibly some of the this morning style features that they introduced.
I do wonder how things would have panned out if Dermot O'Leary had hosted.
BR
Brekkie
As whataday said someone like him would have fitted into the "slick and trendy" style more than a comedian. I don't think Paul Tonkinson was that bad really - he just wasn't given a chance and had an impossible job following Johnny Vaughan, so was the easy scapegoat.
FA
fanoftv
In a way it went back to the original big breakfast model of having a lot of features hosted from different parts of the house by each of the presenters. They were rarely on screen together, in the first week Amanda did a quick newspapers summary in the first half an hour before Paul did a jokey one. The relaunched show still had the cheering crew, the unusual features, the jokes, and was a modern take on the programme that could have taken serious stories on imo. The relaunched relaunch just put everything back to the 90's, but in a cheesy way.

Either way I can't believe that it's 13 years ago.
LI
lickety-split
if it was the big match I would be happy Thumbs up
JB
JasonB
The relaunched relaunch just put everything back to the 90's, but in a cheesy way.

Even the original friday song didn't feel right in 2001!
JB
JasonB
I found this interesting article from July 2001 which might explain why the show changed slightly in September that year:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/1423795.stm
WH
Whataday Founding member
Yes, there was never really a big announcement that it had been axed, and through all of 2001 there was still a chance it could survive.

Although I once did an interview with Richard Bacon and he said Channel 4 had a problem with the show for years and it was doomed for a long time.
WH
Whataday Founding member
The opening titles & introduction from the second show of the 2001 re-launch which i also found on the same tape as the 2001 re-launch show which is also on youtube kindly uploaded by another user.

This is also the first show to feature Lola Lasagne!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ff7Ovnk_oCs

By the way, watching this has made me realise something. On day one of the relaunch, the on screen graphics have purple background, and the logo on the plasma is purple too. On day two, the graphics are blue, as is the logo. Did each day have it's own colour, 1996-style?
JB
JasonB
The opening titles & introduction from the second show of the 2001 re-launch which i also found on the same tape as the 2001 re-launch show which is also on youtube kindly uploaded by another user.

By the way, watching this has made me realise something. On day one of the relaunch, the on screen graphics have purple background, and the logo on the plasma is purple too. On day two, the graphics are blue, as is the logo. Did each day have it's own colour, 1996-style?

Not that knew of, I think it might be a random choice of colour each morning. Though i did like the 1996 re-launch colours on their own day.

It also took me a while to realize that the shapes on the 2001 clock moved up and down!
WH
Whataday Founding member
It also took me a while to realize that the shapes on the 2001 clock moved up and down!

And changed colour. It really was a good era graphics wise, just for the wrong programme.
BR
Brekkie

Yes - it was more subtle but they definately had a colour change each day for the menu at least. Can't recall if it went as far as the news backdrop - don't think it did.
WH
Whataday Founding member

Yes - it was more subtle but they definately had a colour change each day for the menu at least. Can't recall if it went as far as the news backdrop - don't think it did.

No, the news was always purple, but judging by the breakbumper/titles the colours were:

Purple
Blue
Orange
Pink
Red/brown/green(?)

Newer posts