TV Home Forum

UTV to launch channel in Republic of Ireland

Channel to launch in 2015 (November 2013)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
RO
rob Founding member
http://www.utvireland.ie/

Quote:
UTV Media plc is delighted to announce that its subsidiary UTV Ireland Limited (UTV) plans to launch a new Irish TV channel which will create more than 100 new jobs.

An application to the Broadcasting Authority of Ireland (BAI) for a Content Provision Contract was submitted today (6 November).

This announcement follows the signing of an agreement with ITV Studios Global Entertainment, which will give UTV the exclusive broadcasting rights for ITV Studios programmes for the Republic of Ireland audience, including popular soaps Coronation Street and Emmerdale from early 2015, once appropriate statutory broadcasting licences are in place.

The new channel will be based in Dublin with additional newsgathering and reporting presence in Cork, Galway, Waterford and Limerick. UTV plans to have this new channel on air in early 2015.
CO
Colm
Interesting. What does this mean for TV3? (probably a rhetorical question)

I also wonder how much content will be shared between North and South - and whether that extends to talent? i.e. No escape on the island of Ireland from Julian?!
bkman1990 and edmund gave kudos
RD
rdd Founding member
As far as TV3 are concerned their choices are either to try and sell up to UTV (who would be especially interested in their 103 slot on Sky, where they don't currently have a listing on the Irish EPG). The problem with this, aside from TV3's debt, would be the PSO obligations that would be coming with it. The other option would be to reinvent themselves as something akin to their pre-Granada deal incarnation, a sort of a merger of the current TV3 and 3e. (that said, they would possibly wish to keep 3e even in a vestigial form to stave off any claim UTV might make to 105 in the event of its closure)

As far as UTV is concerned, their deal with ITV only gives them rights in the Republic to what TV3 had - so no news, sports, movies, imports, or programmes not commissioned via ITV Studios. That said they could probably get rights for some more ITV programmes, such as Daybreak to fill the schedule. It'll be a big blow not having ITV's coverage when the Rugby World Cup comes around again in 2015 though I suppose I could always put up a dish for that.
PA
patrickm
So many questions arise from this. All we know is they will have a one hour evening news slot.

Will UTV disappear from The Republic or will UTV and UTVI co-exist, with UTV re-broadcasting UTVI when the schedules overlap?
Will UTVI become a "region" of UTV, which will control the schedule but local Opt outs for news etc.
What does this mean for Channel6/3e? They have a fine EPG slot which UTVI would fit into nicely.
What will TV3 do? Will they strengthen their relationship with Channel 5 which continues to be the only core UK channel not broadcasting in The Republic.

It's very exciting, but I also feel it's not in the best interest for the public if we end up loosing UTV/TV3 or 3e etc.
BK
bkman1990

What will TV3 do? Will they strengthen their relationship with Channel 5 which continues to be the only core UK channel not broadcasting in The Republic.

That's not true. I get five versions of Channel 5 from my home in Dublin via the Astra Satellite without any problem whatsoever though a Saorview approved combi-box.

I'd say that UTV will be provide a good bit of competition against the likes of TV3/3e, RTE and TG4. TG4 IMO is the only standout national TV channel at the moment that provides good quality programming for the Island of Ireland.

I think UTV in terms of it's content would also be better than the likes of the content provided by RTE.

All in all I think it will be a good move by UTV.
PE
peterrocket Founding member
If you take a look at tonight's TV3 schedule you'll see between 7 and 10 it's all ITV programming which would leave one heck of an empty gap in TV3's schedule.

To be honest, I wouldn't be surprised if UTV did end up buying TV3 in the near future - they were interested earlier this year.

http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/utv-eyes-up-bid-to-take-over-debt-laden-tv3-29210693.html

So this announcement coupled with the ITV programming deal would be a clever way to get a drop in the value of TV3 and make it more affordable. TV3 (as it stands) will no longer have the ITV deal, ultimately ending up with a rather empty schedule and with the loss of big draw shows such as Coronation St / X-Factor, a likely fall in advertising / sponsorship revenue.
PA
patrickm

That's not true. I get five versions of Channel 5 from my home in Dublin via the Astra Satellite without any problem whatsoever though a Saorview approved combi-box.

Ah yes you are picking up their UK broadcasts which overlap. Here in Dublin I am on UPC and don't have them as they haven't done a deal. On Sky Ireland/eVision/Magnet/Saorview/SaorSat etc you won't get them on the EPG as they don't have a deal for coverage here. Of course you get get it, but the average family paying UPC for TV won't get it. Which brings me back to my core point, if TV3 want content which isn't readily accessible within The Republic, they can look to Channel 5. Didn't TV3 and Channel 5 only swap controllers recently. It's something to look out for I think.
ED
edmund
To be honest I can't see the channel getting a licence. In their press release it states that it will essentially be another ITV region with only 1 opt out for a hour long news program. Why is Ireland getting a ITV region? This does not need to launch, it is bad enough TV3 has ended up relying on ITV for around 50% of its schedule when it was originally launched to compete with RTÉ as Ireland's second broadcaster. UTV Ireland will rely on ITV to fill more than 90% of its schedule. That does not justify an Irish broadcasting licence. Why doesn't UTV Ireland provide its 1 hour of news online, similar to RTÉ with its News Now service.
TJ
TedJrr
Interested - yes; but the financial of TV3 is so cripplingly bad that UTV could be better served by talking to the liquidator over assets that it wants, rather than attempting to buy and asset-strip itself.

The British company that its owned by, and the banking residuary body that its in hock to obviously weren't in the frame of mind to take the haircut that would have been necessary to sell-out to UTV.
TH
Thinker
To be honest I can't see the channel getting a licence...

Is there even a remote possibility that the BAI wouldn't grant them a license to broadcast? I don't see how that could be possible in an open society.

It'll be interesting to see if it gets onto Saorview, though. It appears to be a closed platform reserved for the PSBs (excluding 3e?). AIUI, Ireland is far more reliant on cable and satellite than the UK, so they could just ignore it.
TJ
TedJrr
They (UTV) will have existing relations with the Irish Authorities/Establishment. It wouldn't have got this far unless there was (a) encouragement.. and (b) an indication the the relevant licences and SoarView/SoarSat access was a given.

There looks to be an understanding that UTV will bring resources south.
EX
excel99
So this announcement coupled with the ITV programming deal would be a clever way to get a drop in the value of TV3 and make it more affordable. TV3 (as it stands) will no longer have the ITV deal, ultimately ending up with a rather empty schedule and with the loss of big draw shows such as Coronation St / X-Factor, a likely fall in advertising / sponsorship revenue.

TV3 should still have X Factor as it isn't produced by ITV Studios

Does UTV now have Irish rights to shows like Come Dine With Me, that are produced by ITV Studios but not aired on ITV?

Newer posts