TV Home Forum

The National Lottery, back with an audience

Split from BBC One (September 2013)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
CA
Cando

Wait, you actually thought "Lottery HQ" was at Camelot's Headquarters? It's been at Pinewood since January, and was at Arqiva Chalfont Grove before that.

Does it matter? The point is why have they moved to an expensive bigger studio like Pinewood for a draw which could be done in a much cheaper venue. This means even less money for charity
Last edited by Cando on 6 October 2013 1:19am
JO
Jon
This was disappointing - did the draw actually happen?

No it didn't as draw master John Willan was in invited to return to run tonights draws to celebrate the occasion, but in his retirement he'd lost his powers couldn't operate the equipment, therefore they could not proceed. The draw took place a little while later but was not aired.
CA
Cando
David posted:
It made me realise how commercial the whole programme is and it really doesn't fit on the BBC at all. It will be the kind of thing we look back on in a few years time and find it hard to believe it was ever allowed to happen. See also promoting the Radio Times in junctions, running BBC Select as a subscription service, CBBC on Nickelodeon and the Robinsons sponsorship of Sports Personality of the Year.

I don't think that's an equal comparison at all, While it's licenced to Camelot it is a State Franchise.
JO
Jon
Cando posted:

Wait, you actually thought "Lottery HQ" was at Camelot's Headquarters? It's been at Pinewood since January, and was at Arqiva Chalfont Grove before that.

Does it matter? The point is why have they moved to an expensive studio like Pinewood for a draw which could be done in a much cheaper venue. This means even less money for charity

How do you know they were paying more for Pinewood?

Obviously they are for the new bigger studio, but they've chosen to do that to make it feel more of an occasion people want to be part of. Therefore they've done it to sell more tickets.

By your logic the draw shouldn't be aired at all, so more could go to charity.

Anyway, who actually pays for the production the Beeb or Camelot? Never sure on these matters.
CA
Cando
Jon posted:
Obviously they are for the new bigger studio, but they've chosen to do that to make it feel more of an occasion people want to be part of. Therefore they've done it to sell more tickets.

Laughing Right! ''Chris Evans has a bigger area to walk around, i'll buy a ticket next week'''

Jon posted:

By your logic the draw shouldn't be aired at all, so more could go to charity.

How is that my logic Rolling Eyes Try and engage your brain.

Jon posted:

Does that have to spelt out for you....

And after all that..........

Jon posted:

Anyway, who actually pays for the production the Beeb or Camelot? Never sure on these matters.

Rolling Eyes
JO
Jon
Cando posted:

Rolling Eyes

Answer the question then.

Because we know broadcasters did have to pay for the rights at one stage. In which case they'd have paid for the production, you'd think.

However the suggestion from you is Camelot money is going into the production.

It's not a silly question it's never really been made clear to me. If it's silly to you so be it, but give an answer.
BA
bilky asko
Cando posted:

Does it matter? The point is why have they moved to an expensive bigger studio like Pinewood for a draw which could be done in a much cheaper venue. This means even less money for charity

Well it weakens your point doesn't it? I honestly thought virtually no-one would actually think that Lottery HQ was Camelot's HQ.

Cando posted:
Jon posted:

Does that have to spelt out for you....

Yes, I think a secure enough site will be costly at either location. Please do spell out the figures.
WP
WillPS
At one stage the BBC were paying Camelot for it. I'd hope that would have been sorted.

The amount Camelot will spend on studios will not have a direct impact on the amount from each ticket that goes to good causes. This is set and agreed with The National Lottery Commission. Camelot's revenue percentage has not changed since launch.
NG
noggin Founding member
Cando posted:

Indeed, I really don't get why Camelot have decided to move their studio to Pinewood from their own HQ. Why go to all the expense for nothing Rolling Eyes

As others have pointed out - the draw has never come from Camelot's HQ. Alan has often referred to the studio it has come from as "Lottery HQ" - but that's more a telly-thing.

The draws were originally OBs, then moved to studios in TVC. Then they moved to Arqiva's studios in Buckinghamshire, which are on the BFBS site (effectively a military base - so very secure). However Arqiva's studios there were SD and very small (when they did music numbers on the show they had to pre-record them in the same area that the draw took place in)

Moving to Pinewood as allowed them to go HD (a must now) and given them a more practical space. I've no idea of the resourcing arrangement Endemol (not the BBC - it's an indie) will have had with Arqiva and now Pinewood. If the BBC recommissioned Endemol to make the show, it will no doubt have included HD production in the new commission (it's the default these days) - so that may have meant they had to leave Arqiva?
BR
Brekkie
So the theme is a bit rubbish - studio is nice enough though and like what they've done with the machine. No live Thunderball draw though - and no obvious location in the studio for future draws.

49-1 a bit odd - surely not funded by the BBC as they wouldn't give out £110,000 in a one minute segment - and a bigger prize than the raffle. Lotto have really screwed up this revamp IMO - seems stupid giving away £20m for two weeks on the new Lotto Raffle and only bumping the jackpot to £10m. Would have been better off boosting the jackpot to £20m, even £25m, and giving away £5-£10m on the raffle instead of the usual £1m. Notice too the BBC only mentioned the increased jackpot and three ball prize - no mention of the reduced prizes for other levels.
JJ
Juicy Joe Founding member
Jon posted:
This was disappointing - did the draw actually happen?

No it didn't as draw master John Willan was in invited to return to run tonights draws to celebrate the occasion, but in his retirement he'd lost his powers couldn't operate the equipment, therefore they could not proceed. The draw took place a little while later but was not aired.

Laughing
BU
buster
Given the hype Chris Evans gave in his Radio Times interview this week (even slagging off previous lottery shows) it was very disappointing indeed wasn't it. Not that you can do a lot with 15 minutes, but they managed back in the day to make it feel like event TV.

Newer posts