TV Home Forum

Culture Secretary unveils plans for new national TV channel

Jeremy Hunt plans national Freeview channel with local content (January 2011)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
JO
Jon
I'm sure more and more will be merged or bought out by non-neighbouring licences as it becomes clear they're not viable.

Made Television have more or less made it clear this is their intention and this has occurred in every other form of local and regional media from ITV licences, local newspapers and local radio.

Don't forget though Channel 7 (to be come Estuary TV) which I don't think has been run for a profit at least until now has lasted a long time, so if these channels have the right model they should be able to survive independently, although they do have increased commitments now I assume.

Not really sure what you would market a channel serving Gloucester and Malvern as. Different counties, Gloucester would prefer to be classed as the South West and Malvern is the West Midlands. Perhaps you could get away with Severn TV as the river goes through both counties but not really Malvern itself.

I guess the licensee could operate a split for the branding and perhaps news, whilst much of the content is shared.
Last edited by Jon on 22 September 2013 5:54pm
RI
Rijowhi
Jon posted:
I'm sure more and more will be merged or bought out by non-neighbouring licences as it becomes clear they're not viable.

Made Television have more or less made it clear this is their intention and this has occurred in every other form of local and regional media from ITV licences, local newspapers and local radio.

Don't forget though Channel 7 (to be come Estuary TV) which I don't think has been run for a profit at least until now has lasted a long time, so if these channels have the right model they should be able to survive independently, although they do have increased commitments now I assume.

Not really sure what you would market a channel serving Gloucester and Malvern as. Different counties, Gloucester would prefer to be classed as the South West and Malvern is the West Midlands. Perhaps you could get away with Severn TV as the river goes through both counties but not really Malvern itself.

I guess the licensee could operate a split for the branding and perhaps news, whilst much of the content is shared.

I'm pretty sure we'll end up with one or two companies running the whole 'local' network in the end as per ITV etc. As long as a reasonable amount of truly local content stays on screen, then surely that is ok? We'll up with a National channel (as originally planned) with Local opt-outs. This would still enhance and compliment the BBC's and ITV's Regional services (which I believe should also stay, though maybe with a few changes).
Last edited by Rijowhi on 23 September 2013 10:41pm
NG
noggin Founding member
Jon posted:

I'm pretty sure we'll end up with one or two companies running the whole 'local' network in the end as per ITV etc. As long as a reasonable amount of truly local content stays on screen, then surely that is ok? We'll up with a National channel (as originally planned) with Local opt-outs. This would still enhance and compliment the BBC's and ITV's Regional services (which I believe should also stay, though maybe with a few changes).

Isn't the plan for the BBC regional services to provide content for the new local operations, at least initially? Be interesting to see how much they provide. If it's too much they won't complement, they'll repeat...
JO
Jon

Isn't the plan for the BBC regional services to provide content for the new local operations, at least initially? Be interesting to see how much they provide. If it's too much they won't complement, they'll repeat...

It's the other way round, the BBC will have a fund available to buy content off the local broadcasters if it's good enough. There might be other content sharing arrangements in place though.
RI
Rijowhi
Jon posted:

It's the other way round, the BBC will have a fund available to buy content off the local broadcasters if it's good enough. There might be other content sharing arrangements in place though.

I really hate this idea, I feel the local stations should be a new more localised competitor to the BBC and ITV not sharing programmes. In fact I feel the BBC should have limited Regional programming (News and Current Affairs as per ITV) to try and help the Locsl stations thrive...let them be something different! It could help them stand out from the crowd.
JO
Jon

I really hate this idea, I feel the local stations should be a new more localised competitor to the BBC and ITV not sharing programmes. In fact I feel the BBC should have limited Regional programming (News and Current Affairs as per ITV) to try and help the Locsl stations thrive

I really don't think the BBC not showing Inside Out and the 10 or so additions of Late Kick Off each year is going to make much difference.

Also your idea would mean those people in areas which are not covered by the local television, would lose out on programming about their region.
WH
Whataday Founding member
In fact I feel the BBC should have limited Regional programming (News and Current Affairs as per ITV) to try and help the Locsl stations thrive...let them be something different! It could help them stand out from the crowd.

And what about the vast areas of the country that won't be covered by a local TV station?

Also, the idea of competition is for competition to exist, not for one side of it to completely give in.
BR
Brekkie
The BBC should absolutely continue with regional television - completely independent of these new local TV stations.

I was kind of hoping that the launch of these local channels might force ITV to see the value in the regional market and look again at what they offer, but that clearly isn't going to happen. A missed opportunity really as I'm sure most viewers would be willing to sample some new regional content in a regular half hour slot on ITV than they are willing to give a new channel a try which will undoubtedly have a budget that makes the shopping channels look like a US network.
RI
Rijowhi
Jon posted:

I really hate this idea, I feel the local stations should be a new more localised competitor to the BBC and ITV not sharing programmes. In fact I feel the BBC should have limited Regional programming (News and Current Affairs as per ITV) to try and help the Locsl stations thrive

I really don't think the BBC not showing Inside Out and the 10 or so additions of Late Kick Off each year is going to make much difference.

Also your idea would mean those people in areas which are not covered by the local television, would lose out on programming about their region.

***Nods head in respect to 'Whataday' and 'Jon'...acknowledging that they are right about how scrapping the BBC's Regional services would not make much difference and would hurt viewers.***

However I still don't think the Local programming should feature on the BBC...that surely hurts competition?
NG
noggin Founding member
Jon posted:

***Nods head in respect to 'Whataday' and 'Jon'...acknowledging that they are right about how scrapping the BBC's Regional services would not make much difference and would hurt viewers.***

However I still don't think the Local programming should feature on the BBC...that surely hurts competition?

I guess the BBC buying it provides funding - so helps start fledgling competition in a tricky commercial landscape?
DV
DVB Cornwall
The BBC HAS to continue it's current level of coverage, The coverage of these local stations in limited. What happens if you are not in the coverage area?
David and bilky asko gave kudos
IS
Inspector Sands

The BBC were stopped from providing local TV services back in 2006 for that very reason
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BBC_Local_Video

Newer posts