TV Home Forum

Sky Satelite in bad weather

(July 2013)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
WE
Westy2
Are some groups of channels more resillent than others?

Just had a brief flick through some channels.

The Beeb, Gold, Watch & Dave seem ok, but Sky branded are Ok & Itv 4 went off for a couple of mins.
:-(
A former member
I don't know of any technical reasons, but I do know I've lost most channels this morning — except for Channel 5 for some reason.
NJ
Neil Jones Founding member
Doing better than me, I've lost everything satellite TV wise due to the thunderstorms and downpours.
But yes, I was wondering if there was any real reason why normally it only affects certain channels and not others...
MA
Markymark
Doing better than me, I've lost everything satellite TV wise due to the thunderstorms and downpours.
But yes, I was wondering if there was any real reason why normally it only affects certain channels and not others...

There are several satellites at the same orbital position that serve Sky/Freesat, and the footprints of the various
transponders do vary in strength as seen from the UK, so in a situation where rain is attenuating the downlink, some will fall over the 'digital cliff' before others
BA
bilky asko

I cant say I've ever experienced it on just some channels - it always affects all channels here.
IS
Inspector Sands
If some channels have gone and others haven't it could be that it's the dishes at some of the uplink sites that are being affected by rainfade not your dish. For example, there's a big storm over Sky's uplink site but not the BBC's or Arqiva's or Globecasts etc

That said, they will have backup or alternative sites to move services to when it happens, though depending on how it's managed there could be a gap in service to switches over
Last edited by Inspector Sands on 23 July 2013 11:52am
A former member
I'm having problems with BBC ONE HD and have to switch to BBC ONE Northern Ireland HD.
TG
TG
I'm having problems with BBC ONE HD and have to switch to BBC ONE Northern Ireland HD.

Just out of interest, can the Nations be manually added on a Sky HD box, or are the numbers still not inputtable?
SI
simon1970
No problems during downpours, I have an old butter container painted black with is stuck over the end keeping the LNB nice and dry. Works perfect.
SP
Steve in Pudsey
I thought the issue was the rain attenuating/reflecting away the signal before it gets to the LNB?

If you need to put a box on the LNB that, to me, would raise questions about the quality of the installation.
BA
bilky asko
I thought the issue was the rain attenuating/reflecting away the signal before it gets to the LNB?

If you need to put a box on the LNB that, to me, would raise questions about the quality of the installation.

My experience would seem to be in accordance with that - the signal often goes before any rain has reached the ground - it goes before a particularly heavy downpour for me, usually.
A former member

My experience would seem to be in accordance with that - the signal often goes before any rain has reached the ground - it goes before a particularly heavy downpour for me, usually.

Exactly that was happening for me earlier today.

Newer posts