TV Home Forum

BT Sport - General Discussion

BT acquire ESPN's UK operation (February 2013)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
ST
steveboswell
The promo seems to confirm the Conference deal -- albeit briefly -- but still no official confirmation of it anywhere else as yet.

Also, now I've seen the logo animation, I still don't think it's very nice at all!
MA
madmusician
There are rumours that the Conference deal will be announced tomorrow alongside the fixtures.
HC
Hatton Cross
BT Broadband users have free access to the three channels in SD

BT Infinity users have access (subject to payment of a £3 per month fee, waived for the first year, if ordered before 1st Aug) to the channels in HD,

They've kept that one quiet.
So what do you want to do, if you are a BT Broadband customer, so have access to 'free' BT Sport 1&2 + ESPN, and want to watch them in HD via Sky?

It doesn't seem very clever, buying transponder space and running 3 channels in SD for non-infinty customers, when (I'm guessing) the majority of viewers, are also paying for the Sky Sports Channels and can see those in HD.

Gun, Foot, Bang, Ouch from BT there...
JA
Jake
BT Broadband users have free access to the three channels in SD

BT Infinity users have access (subject to payment of a £3 per month fee, waived for the first year, if ordered before 1st Aug) to the channels in HD,

They've kept that one quiet.
So what do you want to do, if you are a BT Broadband customer, so have access to 'free' BT Sport 1&2 + ESPN, and want to watch them in HD via Sky?

It doesn't seem very clever, buying transponder space and running 3 channels in SD for non-infinty customers, when (I'm guessing) the majority of viewers, are also paying for the Sky Sports Channels and can see those in HD.

Gun, Foot, Bang, Ouch from BT there...

I have BT ADSL & Sky TV, according to the website (and the email confirmation I got) I also get HD free for a year.
Last edited by Jake on 2 July 2013 9:00pm
VG
VizGuru
BT's offers are far from clear!

I know 'thegeek' thinks that I expect BT to offer the sports channels 'from the goodness of their hearts', but actually the top line from BT was that BT Sport would be free for a year for those who sign up to BT Broadband and to those existing BT Broadband customers. It wasn't made clear that you'd have to sign new contracts if you were an existing customer.

The number of options available to customers for a 3 channel package seem extraordinary!
NG
noggin Founding member
I may be wrong but aren't the BT Broadband SD and BT Broadband Infinity HD packages for IPTV streaming?

I think the Sky deal is a separate issue - i.e. if you have Sky AND a BT Broadband package you can also get the channels via satellite, and in HD if you have the right kit, or am I totally wrong on this?
DV
DVB Cornwall
... as Rob points out in the Sport Thread - BT have signed a 30 match per year over 2 years deal for Conference Football.

more details ……..

BTSPORT on TWITTER.COM
03-Jul-2013 @ 11:09

and now the official news release

here ……..

NEWS on HOME.BT.COM
03-Jul-2013 @ 11:46
Last edited by DVB Cornwall on 3 July 2013 11:48am
MI
Michael
Makes it more accessible than Premier Sport then.

Just need to get it on Virgin Media and I'll be happy.
VG
VizGuru
A massive blow for Premier Sports, who used this to drive their subscriber numbers in the UK.
JO
Jon
A massive blow for Premier Sports, who used this to drive their subscriber numbers in the UK.

To be fair, it's been a given for ages that it wouldn't be on Premier Sports.
VG
VizGuru
Jon posted:

To be fair, it's been a given for ages that it wouldn't be on Premier Sports.

Really? They only changed production company for it last year.
JO
Jon

Really? They only changed production company for it last year.

What's that got to do with the price of fish?

It's been known since at least the Conference playoffs, that Premier Sports would not be the home of live Conference football on TV.

To be honest, I don't think Conference football is big enough to keep alive an entire service. It's good filler content for the likes of Sky or BT though.

Newer posts