TV Home Forum

Culture Secretary unveils plans for new national TV channel

Jeremy Hunt plans national Freeview channel with local content (January 2011)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
RI
Rijowhi
I believe some of these Local TV stations will work, we may even successful franchises taking over the running of less successful stations...with some networking thrown in (which is likely to happen anyway in the future methinks).

Let ITV reduce it's Evening Regional News offering to 20 minutes, in exchange for the scrapping of the Breakfast Licence ( though I feel there would still need to be some National/Regional News in the morning ). STV and UTV can then potentially make more money (and maybe offer other Regional services elsewhere). Although the Regional Evening News would be shorter, this could potentially make the Regional News services more punchy. This could actually be a better watching experience for the viewer, while being slightly more affordable for the commercial Broadcaster. I also feel ITV should provide a token weekly 20 minute Regional Political show on Thursday nights (after News At Ten) for all the Pan-Regions.

This change to ITV's Regional News offering and the fledging Local TV stations could potentially offer more (for less) to our PSB system (alongside the BBC) than is currently the case.

I take it this is all for English ITV stations? since STV would not be happy in the cuts of the regional news, especial since there go above and beyond. Plus STV controls both Local tv channel up north.

It would be for all Channel 3 franchises, surely the chance of a few more quid is not something that STV and UTV would turn down? There is plenty of space for further 'National' programming in Scotland/Northern Ireland should their Broadcasters wish to go that way.

With STV controlling both Local TV franchises in Scotland, it gives them a greater chance of working...would have been nice for someone new to enter the Local/Regional News 'Market' though.
:-(
A former member
I believe some of these Local TV stations will work, we may even successful franchises taking over the running of less successful stations...with some networking thrown in (which is likely to happen anyway in the future methinks).

Let ITV reduce it's Evening Regional News offering to 20 minutes, in exchange for the scrapping of the Breakfast Licence ( though I feel there would still need to be some National/Regional News in the morning ). STV and UTV can then potentially make more money (and maybe offer other Regional services elsewhere). Although the Regional Evening News would be shorter, this could potentially make the Regional News services more punchy. This could actually be a better watching experience for the viewer, while being slightly more affordable for the commercial Broadcaster. I also feel ITV should provide a token weekly 20 minute Regional Political show on Thursday nights (after News At Ten) for all the Pan-Regions.

This change to ITV's Regional News offering and the fledging Local TV stations could potentially offer more (for less) to our PSB system (alongside the BBC) than is currently the case.

I take it this is all for English ITV stations? since STV would not be happy in the cuts of the regional news, especial since there go above and beyond. Plus STV controls both Local tv channel up north.

It would be for all Channel 3 franchises, surely the chance of a few more quid is not something that STV and UTV would turn down? There is plenty of space for further 'National' programming in Scotland/Northern Ireland should their Broadcasters wish to go that way.

With STV controlling both Local TV franchises in Scotland, it gives them a greater chance of working...would have been nice for someone new to enter the Local/Regional News 'Market' though.

Um STV are spending MORE money and doing MORE than what is required under its agreement, why would there agree to this.

Plus a " ITV should provide a token weekly 20 minute Regional Political show""

STV does a 30min political Monday to Thursday.
RI
Rijowhi

Um STV are spending MORE money and doing MORE than what is required under its agreement, why would there agree to this.

Plus a " ITV should provide a token weekly 20 minute Regional Political show""

STV does a 30min political Monday to Thursday.

In all fairness though, ITV would have more Regions to produce for. I do see your point though. Surely STV would make more money if the Breakfast franchise was scrapped though, even if Daybreak stayed due to advertising being returned to STV not ITV in the morning...

Fair play to STV btw.
IS
Inspector Sands
In all fairness though, ITV would have more Regions to produce for. I do see your point though. Surely STV would make more money if the Breakfast franchise was scrapped though, even if Daybreak stayed due to advertising being returned to STV not ITV in the morning...

Would they though? Remember that they would get the ad revenue from that period.... but they'd also have to pay for the programming aired, be that Daybreak or something else.
WH
Whataday Founding member

How is shaving 10 minutes off a 30 min regional news programme going to deliver any substantial cost savings? All the costs involved in producing the programme will still be present, and it leaves ITV having to produce a 10 minute filler which would cost more than is saved.
RI
Rijowhi

How is shaving 10 minutes off a 30 min regional news programme going to deliver any substantial cost savings? All the costs involved in producing the programme will still be present, and it leaves ITV having to produce a 10 minute filler which would cost more than is saved.

The National News would surely be extended if the Regional News was just 20 minutes long? My idea was just an amendment of ITV/Ofcom's own proposal that wanted 10 minutes of filler from any old place at the end...What's the point? Surely a longer National News would generally be better quality programming for the viewer? Looks like the latter is what we're getting though as Border's new 30 minute programme seems to have been approved...why should the other Regions get any less? I'm wondering if the scrapping of the Contract Rights Renewal could be the key to the Regions keeping/gaining Sub-Regional News programming (with hopefully a Pan-Regional Political/Current Affairs programme too)?

Imagine that...a reasonable amount of Regional TV from ITV and hopefully some good upstart Local TV stations to compliment (and enhance what) the BBC's offering. How about a Region by Region quota for the BBC/ITV (C3)/C4/C5 too instead of this 'Outside London' nonsense too?

* Btw Inspector Sands has a great point about the buying of programming from ITV or whoever else...would be interesting to see the costs of programming versus ad revenue in the morning.

18 days later

DV
DVB Cornwall
Comux, the mux operator, has advertised the additional 'national' capacity on the local muxes and are asking for applicants.

see here ……..

NEWS on DTG.ORG.UK
11-Jul-2013 @ 10:37
JO
Jon
Comux, the mux operator, has advertised the additional 'national' capacity on the local muxes and are asking for applicants.

see here ……..

NEWS on DTG.ORG.UK
11-Jul-2013 @ 10:37

Hopefully, it'll be something that adds significant value to the platform.
Last edited by Jon on 11 July 2013 2:56pm

59 days later

JO
Jon
Ahead of the launch of Latest 8
Last edited by Jon on 8 September 2013 2:50am

15 days later

A former member
http://www.atvtoday.co.uk/45145-ofcom-agree-merger-of-coverage-area-for-new-local-tv-services/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=45145-ofcom-agree-merger-of-coverage-area-for-new-local-tv-services

Four separate local TV locations have been merged, which have yet to be advertised, following a consultation period.

The broadcasting regulator Ofcom invited views on merging the locations (Luton and Bedford, Gloucester and Malvern) to create two single local TV licences. A response said that Luton and Bedford shared ‘significant cultural similarities’. The same reason was given for Gloucester and Malvern.

Upon creating the Luton local licence, Ofcom said: “This is because we think that merging the two areas would make the licensed service more viable.” Ofcom said that merging of Gloucester and Malvern to create the single Gloucester licence would “make it more likely that we receive viable licence applications for this area.”

Ofcom has granted several broadcasting licences for the new local stations, with some expecting to be on the air at the end of the year.
BR
Brekkie
I'm sure more and more will be merged or bought out by non-neighbouring licences as it becomes clear they're not viable.

Do we know how long the licences are for, or are they open ended?
A former member
I'm sure more and more will be merged or bought out by non-neighbouring licences as it becomes clear they're not viable.

Do we know how long the licences are for, or are they open ended?

Thankful STV owns the two Scottish one. Wink

Newer posts