TV Home Forum

New UKTV Channel "Drama"

Launch on July 8th. (May 2013)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
RO
rob Founding member
Quote:
UKTV is set to go head to head with ITV3 with the launch of Drama, a new channel on Freeview.

It is the company’s first channel launch since female-skewing Really in May 2009, and takes UKTV’s portfolio to 11.

A large amount of content will come out of UKTV’s licensing agreement with the BBC, including Tipping The Velvet, Cranford and Lark Rise To Candleford, but Drama will also acquire non-BBC titles from thirdparty distributors.

Drama will launch on 8 July with classic drama programming such as Jane Austen’s Pride And Prejudice. Former ITV shows such as Catherine Cookson’s The Cinder Path and Sean Bean-fronted Sharpe will also run.

“There’s a great deal of fantastic content that the Freeview audience hasn’t been able to see for a long time,” said UKTV controller Emma Tennant. The channel will be run by general manager Adrian Wills, who also looks after Yesterday.

http://www.broadcastnow.co.uk/news/broadcasters/uktv-takes-on-itv3-with-drama-channel-launch/5054513.article?referrer=RSS
NW
nwtv2003
Basically it sounds just like a channel they used to have several years ago before it went all crime focused....

On the positive side it sounds like a good addition for DTT, although the Catherine Cookson dramas are already shown on Yesterday, it'll be interesting to see what happens there. One would assume its getting the LCN 25 slot?
IS
Inspector Sands
Is UKTV's branding now being done by Ronseal then? Laughing
JB
JasonB
What are the chances of them re-running Neighbours & Eastenders from the beginning again?
:-(
A former member
What are the chances of them re-running Neighbours & Eastenders from the beginning again?

Home and away? A country Practice? even Sons and Daughters?
RO
rob Founding member
The logo:

http://www.tv-live.org.uk/rob/drama.jpg
DB
dbl
Quite like it.
JO
Jon
Reminds me of some of the latter Granada branding.
http://www.freewebs.com/noitv/granada.jpg
Last edited by Jon on 2 May 2013 10:56am
GO
gottago
Basically it sounds just like a channel they used to have several years ago before it went all crime focused....

On the positive side it sounds like a good addition for DTT, although the Catherine Cookson dramas are already shown on Yesterday, it'll be interesting to see what happens there. One would assume its getting the LCN 25 slot?

I expect it will swap with Gold and get channel 20.
ST
Stuart
I like the logo. Smile
RI
Richard

I expect it will swap with Gold and get channel 20.

Is this a new freeview channel, or is it replacing something else?
:-(
A former member
Is this a new freeview channel, or is it replacing something else?

Read the very first post in this thread for the answer...

Newer posts