The Newsroom

The new NEW Central West and BBC Midlands thread

(January 2013)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
BE
Benjamin1

Weathergirl Lucy Kite must think viewers are stupid, tweeting "New @ITVCentral set looking good, have you seen it?" ...no dear it's had a lighting change and some wood put on the floor.
JO
Justice Once
A lot of us forumers are very pedantic about things like the, say, the difference between "sets" and "studios", and other such accuracy considerations (myslef included). And most of us TVF pedants *don't* work within the TV industry, I'm sure.

I'm appalled at how may people from within ITV have "tweeted" etc using the misleading phrase " new set" to describe what is actually the-old-set-redressed/relit. I have no faith in the journalistic credibility of people who choose their words so inaccurately. Harumpf.

I though it seemed a bit ambitious to have full proper set changes in all ITV plc regions over just 2-3 days, but obviously my (and all of our) expectations/hopes were driven by what what seemingly being stated. How wrong we all were, sadly... Sad
PE
Pete Founding member
To be fair, if you were to change the flooring in your bedroom and repaint the walls surely it's a bigish change.
JO
Jonny
The regional sets have never looked better and I'd prefer them to retain a bit of distinctiveness from London, so all's good.
JO
Justice Once
Pete posted:
To be fair, if you were to change the flooring in your bedroom and repaint the walls surely it's a bigish change.

Indeed it would be.

But it still wouldn't be a "new room", would it?

Nobody in their right mind would call it that. Whereas and extension, or removing/adding walls etc would constitute a "new room" in your house.

What you have described is a "redecorated/renovated" (or whatever) room, but not a "new" one. The same logic applies to the so-called "new" ITV regional news sets.

I'm a big fan of how the recycled sets now look, and would not dispute that the extent to which they have now been "redressed" is far greater than on any previous such occasion. But it still doesn't make the "new set" phrase any less incorrect/inaccurate.

I agree with those forumers who say that the joy of the 2004-style set is that it is so flexible as to be able to be rehashed every few years. The previous such rehashes were underwhelming at best though. Now is the best those sets have ever looked. Smile
MW
Mike W
This is only a stopgap too...

"Good evening, welcome to ITV News from Central" says Bob, sort of works better than the Central Tonight brand!
:-(
A former member
No, he said "Welcome to ITV News in Central." Awful.
MW
Mike W

Just hurt me that did! Wanted to believe Central was back Sad
:-(
A former member
I think "ITV News Central" as a name sounds pretty cool, to be honest.
JJ
Juicy Joe Founding member

"ITV News in Central"??? That doesn't sound good! Why not say "Welcome to ITV News from Central" or "Welcome to the Central ITV News room"??
MW
Mike W

"ITV News in Central"??? That doesn't sound good! Why not say "Welcome to ITV News from Central" or "Welcome to the Central ITV News room"??

"Good morning from ITV Central" for Daybreak bulletins?
BR
Brekkie
There does seem to be an effort in all regions never verbally to refer to the brand as just "ITV News Central" for example, even though that is exactly what it is on screen.

Newer posts