TV Home Forum

BBC daytime revamp

BBC confirms ditching Children's programmes from BBC1, BBC2 (May 2012)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
DV
DVB Cornwall
Remember this rejig is only temporary until BBC HD closes. We are promised some repeated BBC FOUR content on BBC TWO to enable an HD broadcast of the BBC FOUR programmes. The schedule will change again then.

As for Eastenders regularly on BBC TWO, it doesn't fit really.
AP
aprilj
Remember this rejig is only temporary until BBC HD closes. We are promised some repeated BBC FOUR content on BBC TWO to enable an HD broadcast of the BBC FOUR programmes. The schedule will change again then.

As for Eastenders regularly on BBC TWO, it doesn't fit really.

I always thought Sunday afternoons was the perfect slot for the omnibus. The move to a late night Friday was ridiculous!
ST
STEVE 03
Yes showing the Eastenders Omnibus on a Sunday makes much more sense. I can't believe the BBC didn't just put the EE omnibus on a Sunday afternoon on BBC2 before instead of showing it on BBC1 on Friday nights.

I love the look the new BBC weekend schedule though, particualrly them showing the old b/w films early in the mornings. This reminds me of the 1990's when BBC2 used to show old films every Sat morning in the winter inbetween the Open University programmes returning for the summer. Great stuff Very Happy
DV
dvboy
Yes showing the Eastenders Omnibus on a Sunday makes much more sense. I can't believe the BBC didn't just put the EE omnibus on a Sunday afternoon on BBC2 before instead of showing it on BBC1 on Friday nights.

They did occasionally move it to BBC 2 on Sundays in the summer before it moved to Friday night.
NJ
Neil Jones Founding member
Quote:
Quote:
It looks like the EastEnders omnibus is going to be shown on BBC2 every Sunday morning at 11am looking at the schedules for the following week (w/c 12th Jan). This is far better than when it was scheduled on BBC1 on Friday nights.

I wonder what was the reason for moving it to the late-night Friday slot for a few months then? Testing ratings perhaps? Its not as if there hasn't been space in the Sunday schedules recently . . .

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/eastenders/2012/04/eastenders-omnibus-has-moved.shtml posted:

The EastEnders omnibus has moved to a new late-night slot on Friday night/Saturday morning.

It will no longer be on BBC One on Sunday.

This slot is closer to the original transmissions and will be more consistent as it will not need to be moved for sporting commitments.

Although a trip back through the schedules shows this isn't always the case. The omnibus moved around pretty much randomly regardless of whatever else was going on on Sunday afternoons. In a lot of cases it was sandwiched between other programmes, split in episode order (you could always tell this was the case as the weekday episode in question was repeated as it used a different credit layout compared to a regular omnibus) and to honest it was surprising how it survived like that and how anybody was able to follow it.
SG
SatGold
Why now cbbbc /cbeebies on bbc 2 in the mornings have gone that the beeb want to shove bloody rubbish homes under the hammer .. and the other junk that they already air in the mornings on bbc one on bbc 2 mornings.. now were getting a double helping on one and two... cant they air classic comedy or something...
ST
STEVE 03
Why now cbbbc /cbeebies on bbc 2 in the mornings have gone that the beeb want to shove bloody rubbish homes under the hammer .. and the other junk that they already air in the mornings on bbc one on bbc 2 mornings.. now were getting a double helping on one and two... cant they air classic comedy or something...

Sadly not, but hopefully they will show old b/w films on Bank Holidays, Easter holidays and over the summer hoildays fingers crossed.

I can't wait to see what BBC2 has in store in the afternoons as both Darts and Snooker are on every afternoon until Friday 18th Jan. I've heard the BBC are keen to show some old classic comedy shows such as The Likely Lads in the afternoons along with BBC4 programmes. It will be interesting to see what they have in store. As long as they don't show any more antiques/DIY programmes I'll be happy.
BU
buster
The daytime controller said in an interview in Radio Times they're also hoping to show the complete set of David Attenborough "Life In..." programmes on BBC2 in 2013 too.
JA
Jamesypoo
There was an announcement on the Click page on Facebook that they will be on BBC2 every Monday at 10:30am from the 14th. I assume the rest of the week will be made up of other News Channel :30 programmes?
WE
Westy2

Sadly not, but hopefully they will show old b/w films on Bank Holidays, Easter holidays and over the summer hoildays fingers crossed.

I can't wait to see what BBC2 has in store in the afternoons as both Darts and Snooker are on every afternoon until Friday 18th Jan. I've heard the BBC are keen to show some old classic comedy shows such as The Likely Lads in the afternoons along with BBC4 programmes. It will be interesting to see what they have in store. As long as they don't show any more antiques/DIY programmes I'll be happy.

Re The Likely Lads, good luck, especially dealing with James Bolam.
CH
chris
There was an announcement on the Click page on Facebook that they will be on BBC2 every Monday at 10:30am from the 14th. I assume the rest of the week will be made up of other News Channel :30 programmes?

A good use of time IMO. Some of the back half-hour programmes can be really good - too good to be shunted in the weekend schedule of the News Channel.
VM
VMPhil
chris posted:

A good use of time IMO. Some of the back half-hour programmes can be really good - too good to be shunted in the weekend schedule of the News Channel.

There are also a lot of complaints when they get shunted for rolling news, and it will be nice to view the programme without the DOG/ticker. I think even the iPlayer version still has the BBC News logo for some reason.

Newer posts