Apparently Fox's power went down, now running off generator
GM
Gary McEwan

Power is back on at FOX.
IS
Inspector Sands
dvboy posted:
Watching CBS2 New York and great job of them broadcasting right through what would normally be network programming, on their ticker they have put which channel to watch network programmes on, so I guess CBS have more than one affiliate in the area.

What some stations are doing is putting rolling news on the main channel and the usual network programming on one of their digital sub-channels
DK
DanielK
Martin Stanford bringing us special coverage on Sky News, extra monitors for Martin on the floor and desk, videowall could be used.
GM
Gary McEwan

Power is back on at FOX.

I wonder how long that will last if the power's off in Manhattan. Generators can only keep so much going and for so long.

I think I'm right in thinking that Fox News and MSNBC are totally from New York, although presumably there's some sort of backup facilities. CNN could be the only ones with a regular service if the power cuts are severe and long term

Where does ABC News Now broadcast from New York as well?
IS
Inspector Sands

(sorry, changed my mind and deleted that post!)
I assume so, although is that a traditional rolling news channel like Fox, CNN etc?

Incidently, TV Newser is a good site for news about the US news channels
GM
Gary McEwan

(sorry, changed my mind and deleted that post!)
I assume so, although is that a traditional rolling news channel like Fox, CNN etc?

Not a 24 hour rolling channel, however it does go live if something happens. And also simulcasts with BBC World News if any international events happen.
BC
Blake Connolly Founding member
Odd watching Anderson Cooper on CNN. He's hosting the show over the phone, talking to reporters on the ground who are in full sound and vision.
Last edited by Blake Connolly on 30 October 2012 12:38am - 2 times in total
AC
aconnell
Odd watching Anderson Cooper on CNN. He's hosting the show over the phone, talking to reporters on the ground who are in full sound and vision.

A power outage on his camera knocked him off the air. Hence why he's broadcasting via phone. That won't last forever though!

I do realise I sound American in the above post. I laughed before when an English girl was interviewed on the BBC News Channel and she corrected saying flashlight to torch.
IS
Inspector Sands

I'm not sure it's working that well, I know it's Anderson's slot but is it really worth persisting with him as 'anchor' if he's only got slightly ropey mobile phone reception?

CNN as usual for American news in such events has far too much information on the screen - currently 3 different animations, including a pointlessly tiny looping map, multiple fonts and layers that don't line up. Just looks awful
BC
Blake Connolly Founding member
A power outage on his camera knocked him off the air. Hence why he's broadcasting via phone. That won't last forever though!

Ah, he just mentioned something about having problems with his satellite truck. Doesn't seem like it's a situation that'll improve any time soon.
AC
aconnell
I think it could be to get viewers. He's portrayed as the persistent, unflappable anchor. Just pointless to broadcast on phone. Can't possibly be well informed nor can he be getting the proper talkback from gallery etc.

Phone battery will die soon enough.

Don't worry though - Piers Morgan is on in 20 minutes!!

Also I hate the Americanism 'gotten'. So so bad to hear!

Newer posts