The Gallery

BBC WORLD NEWS 2012

new music - 10th August (February 2012)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
PC
Paul Clark
The countdown is still a major WIP but in the mean time... here is where i am up to with the BBC World News Titles

I am still working on fine tuning it so critical feedback would be greatly appreciated.

What, no comments on this? A lot of the percussion, and those strings as well, are pretty darn close to nailing that BBC News sound, good stuff. Suggestions would be, keep the strings for sure. Maybe experiment with bulking them up with another texture on top - same notes but lower volume layer - just something subtle like that to bolster it... Thinking of your earlier versions which used that more synth-y string patch, in particular.

Only critical point would be that drum machine-like, very 'snappy' sounding single clap that comes in just before :4" and stands out like a sore thumb IMHO, as if it shouldn't really be there... But that is all!

10 days later

SR
SomeRandomStuff
The countdown is still a major WIP but in the mean time... here is where i am up to with the BBC World News Titles

I am still working on fine tuning it so critical feedback would be greatly appreciated.

What, no comments on this? A lot of the percussion, and those strings as well, are pretty darn close to nailing that BBC News sound, good stuff. Suggestions would be, keep the strings for sure. Maybe experiment with bulking them up with another texture on top - same notes but lower volume layer - just something subtle like that to bolster it... Thinking of your earlier versions which used that more synth-y string patch, in particular.

Only critical point would be that drum machine-like, very 'snappy' sounding single clap that comes in just before :4" and stands out like a sore thumb IMHO, as if it shouldn't really be there... But that is all!

Thanks for the feedback Paul, i've been fiddling with this for a while, still not 100% happy with it, just thought i would post so you could hear here where I was up to.

I hate to keep saying that the only sound samples used from the original David Lowe version were the thunderclaps, but I feel pretty good about it. Been trying to make my own for a while now, but the software instruments just don't cut it.

Hope you all enjoy, again I would really appreciate any criticism.
DK
DanielK
That is really good!!
CH
chris
Excellent stuff as usual.

You said you'd like criticism: the one thing I'm not keen on is the number of thunderclaps there are. There seem to be a thunderclap every second or so, making it sound a little bit of a mess. The instrument used for the dotted rhythm bass line (not sure how else to describe it!) also doesn't sound quite right and also ought to be louder.
SR
SomeRandomStuff
I have been trying to implement some of the synth elements that were missing... so here is a quick sting so you can hear what I mean Very Happy
PC
Paul Clark
Titles are very good... Chris definitely has a point about the bass - the first time I listened to it, I had the volume at a fairly quiet level on cans, and I honestly could not hear any bass line on the (otherwise great) bed; I thought it was just strings! Up the volume of the bass parts so it really comes through, and that should sound much better.

Great sting - the additional synth adds much in making it identifiably BBC World, for sure. My only suggestion for that sound - and this is optional - is maybe try a delay echo effect on it, at a 1 sec, ½ sec delay or something similarly synced to the beat, and see how it sounds. Could even experiment with a cutoff filter on the delay if the option is there (not sure how it is in your software, I know some delay echo effects show the time in milliseconds, others according to the bar) - I hope that makes some sense!
SR
SomeRandomStuff
Thanks for the feedback I will work on the elements you have suggested over the coming weeks. Very Happy
BA
Bail Moderator
That new element in the sting is very 1999 News 24. I like it. It's all the subtle element and musical flourish that I love about the Lowe music, something that sadly lacking in recent tracks. I'm glad to see you're using them to good effect.

9 days later

PE
Pete Founding member
I very much approve of all of this music (although would like slightly longer holds at the end of the final ones please thank you very much yes).

I think we need an animal based image to use for high quality mocks. I shall leave this in your capable hands.
BA
bilky asko
Pete posted:
I very much approve of all of this music (although would like slightly longer holds at the end of the final ones please thank you very much yes).

I think we need an animal based image to use for high quality mocks. I shall leave this in your capable hands.

I prefer an image of Jimmy Frinton doing his legendary thumbs-up:
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_3HpJWK7fQPM/ShRzbKpFoPI/AAAAAAAAAGo/MF5SLaj9ftU/s400/JimmyFrinton.jpg

However, this animal-based image is an acceptable alternative:

Last edited by bilky asko on 23 August 2012 10:50pm
PE
Pete Founding member
There is of course the old classic
BA
bilky asko
Pete posted:
There is of course the old classic

I have my own Seal of Approval, reserved for special occasions:

Newer posts