TV Home Forum

The HTV West Thread

for ITV1 in the West (January 2003)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
GC
GaryC
Thats why its called ITV1 West of England (really!!!) on the idents. Not that you can see, the type is on the animated light effect on the blue, so washes to unreadable.

Still has HTV news.

Had hoped that Jane Mc would sort out HTV News when she took over as director of Programmes in addition to westcountry, but after her appointment of the idiot who's screwed up westcountry live I think all hope of her making the right *choices* of management change in bristol are zero.

Never mind, least she has 2 regions to comission programmes from her partner's production company for.
MD
M D R
It should all be ITV1 West Country down there. And if they need a seperate news service for Devon and Cornwall they should have it as a sub-region.
ITV and BBC need to sort out there geography- the current HTV West region is not the 'West of England'- it's South West England, along with Devon and Cornwall (all of which is traditionally called the 'West Country').

Cornwall, Devon, Dorset, Somerset, Wiltshire, Bristol, Gloucestershire = South West England.

ITV1 could then properly brand a service for the West Country, which would take in most of South West England.
CJ
Chris J
Well, I swear I posted in here, but it seems to have disappeared! If anyone finds a post about HTV News around the forum, sorry. :p

I hate the fact that they still have HTV News. There's no sign of HTV on screens now except for on the Endcaps. What's the point in keeping HTV News? It's just going to confuse viewers and I think it should be scrapped.

Although, ITV1 Wales News is a bit hard to say. Smile
MD
M D R
It would be called '(South) West News' or something.
TV
TVDragon
Oh you meant it to be in here Chris.. Well, I wrote ~

Chris J posted:
I hate the fact that both ITV1 Wales and ITV1 In the West still have HTV News. It's no longer HTV and HTV is never seen on screens apart from in the Endcaps. What is the point in keeping HTV News?

It's still called HTV News, because HTV are still the source of the news, and it's one of the last vestages of the HTV brand. It still comes from the HTV studios, and HTV employ the reporters. It's the HTV newsrooms across the country that gather the news and it's the links that HTV have made over the last 30-odd years that allow them to get the news and information they do.

ITV-1 Wales and ITV-1 in the West, are just the on-screen names for the stations formerly displayed as HTV [Wales] and HTV [West]. HTV still pay their wages [indirectly from Carlton of course now, since they own HTV], and HTV still produce the programmes on ITV-1 Wales and S4C~. ITV-1 Wales is just what the yellow and blue box on the screen has said since October 28th last year, and doesn't mean a great deal more than that.
MD
M D R
I've seen that post somewhere before.
CJ
Chris J
TVDragon posted:
Oh you meant it to be in here Chris.. Well, I wrote ~

Chris J posted:
I hate the fact that both ITV1 Wales and ITV1 In the West still have HTV News. It's no longer HTV and HTV is never seen on screens apart from in the Endcaps. What is the point in keeping HTV News?

It's still called HTV News, because HTV are still the source of the news, and it's one of the last vestages of the HTV brand. It still comes from the HTV studios, and HTV employ the reporters. It's the HTV newsrooms across the country that gather the news and it's the links that HTV have made over the last 30-odd years that allow them to get the news and information they do.

ITV-1 Wales and ITV-1 in the West, are just the on-screen names for the stations formerly displayed as HTV [Wales] and HTV [West]. HTV still pay their wages [indirectly from Carlton of course now, since they own HTV], and HTV still produce the programmes on ITV-1 Wales and S4C~. ITV-1 Wales is just what the yellow and blue box on the screen has said since October 28th last year, and doesn't mean a great deal more than that.

Yeah, I know. It's just confusing and annoying having two brands on screen. They should have kept HTV Wales and West, but if they really had to change it to ITV1 Wales/In the West, they could have at least completed the transformation!
CJ
Chris J
M D R posted:
I've seen that post somewhere before.

Yeah, in the BBC Snowflakes thread. I posted my previous post in there by accident and TV Dragon replied in there! Embarassed
CK
Chris Kelly
I'm sorry, but I hugely object to being lumped in a region with Cornwall and Devon.

You'd be talking about making a TV region where it would take nearly five hours to drive one end to the other.

What an utterly idiotic idea.
CJ
Chris J
Sorry, but who's post are you replying to?
MD
M D R
But isn't that like the central England region? We get by (in a way) with sub-regions. If it all became ITV1 South West or ITV1 West Country, Devon and Crnwall could have their version of the regional news while the northern West Country have theirs (like Central News).
MD
M D R
Here in Coventry, we regularly have to hear either about Lincolnshire or Shropshire- both around 70 miles away- so what a choice of sub-regions we have! (You live in the centre of the central region and hear about places on the Welsh border or places on the east coast- mad!!). If you turn to Central West you get Crewe and Wrexham. If you turn to Central East you get Grantham and Peterborough. Ideally we'd just hear about Coventry, Leicester, Northampton and eastern Birmingham. Although West and East both cover Leicester and Coventry, most of the two editions are still spent covering somewhere miles off the centre of England- and then they call both editions CENTRAL News and wonder why there is confusion and outrage in Coventry when we're lumbered hearing about Shropshire or Lincolnshire instead of Warwickshire.

Newer posts