TV Home Forum

Early Starts for ITV1's Regional Continuity Announcers

(June 2002)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
AN
Andrew Founding member
In the GMG North regions, Maggie Mash had an early start, as she did the announcement on Saturday at 9.25am and today (Sunday) at 8.25am.

There usually isn't any continuity until 11.30am on a Saturday, and of course GMTV is usually here until 9.25am.

Did your region have a live announcer before these early kick offs?

It will be interesting what happens next week when the World Cup programming starts at 7am on ITV1
WI
williamneale
Carlton Central had Amanda Young after GMTV, although I thought it was recorded due to the announcement been played too early in the ident.
SH
Steve Hyden
williamneale posted:
Carlton Central had Amanda Young after GMTV, although I thought it was recorded due to the announcement been played too early in the ident.

More than likely as morning announcements up until 12.30pm (ish) are normally recorded the night before.

Steve
NW
nwtv
On the topic, I noticed that ITV2 had an early start today, it came on at 8.15, would this be a live announcement or pre-recoreded?

Also on Wednesday ITV1 starts at 7.00am, will this bit be regional or will it be the night time brand?
JM
James Martin
Why? Was it because of the extended Crossroads omnibus (due to the 1 hour special on Thursday)
JA
Jason
Andrew posted:
In the GMG North regions, Maggie Mash had an early start, as she did the announcement on Saturday at 9.25am and today (Sunday) at 8.25am.

There usually isn't any continuity until 11.30am on a Saturday, and of course GMTV is usually here until 9.25am.

Did your region have a live announcer before these early kick offs?

It will be interesting what happens next week when the World Cup programming starts at 7am on ITV1

Do we know that the announcement was live? It is quite easy to tell, I've mentioned it before (the sound of the ident is faded abruptly shortly before the announcer speaks). The anno could have simply recorded these announcements the day before...
AN
Andrew Founding member
I'm not sure about that, but the reason I've assumed it was live was because Maggie Mash did the pre-football announcements, and then after the football and throughout the daytime, it still was Maggie.

Today at 7am, it was Maggie again on the Yorkshire lot, but then the rest of the Daytime Announcements from 9.45am were done by Helen Aitken, which there must mean the early announcement was recorded.

There wasn't any endcap at the end of GMTV today, just the 'News Hour' logo
TV
tvmercia Founding member
never mind early starts, paul on central seems to be having a bad day - probably not his fault some of them though.

- tripping over a few words, like emmerdale becoming emmeldale
- cutting an "ITN DIGITAL" testcard before the evening news
- and mentioning a few things which im sure hes not supposed to nowerdays (but i am all in favour of), like:

"now its time for the early news from central"
"coming up next, the evening news from ITN"
AN
Andrew Founding member
Helen Aitken said "Now the latest news.. from the region at 3.05pm today on the Leeds lot

A reminder of the bad old days of 1999/2000 continuity
IS
Isonstine Founding member
I love the announcement before Central News at Six this evening - it was truly fantastic. You could have overlayed it over an ident from the early 90s and no-one would have been any of the wiser! No mention of Carlton in there at all.

Maybe management are having a day off - and he thought he would have a bit of fun! Smile
TV
tvmercia Founding member
Isonstine posted:
I love the announcement before Central News at Six this evening - it was truly fantastic. You could have overlayed it over an ident from the early 90s and no-one would have been any of the wiser! No mention of Carlton in there at all.

Maybe management are having a day off - and he thought he would have a bit of fun! Smile

it really was great - every junction since has been great too. he also introduced coronation street as "corras" like he used to do a few years ago over the CENTRAL chimneys ident.

he's certainly on-parr with andy marriott and dean liddeott in terms of interesting announcements.

i was suprised they didnt give the jubilee ident 1 last showing before the programme about the queen tonight - surely it hasnt been taken off the server already.
AN
Andrew Founding member
tvmercia posted:

i was suprised they didnt give the jubilee ident 1 last showing before the programme about the queen tonight - surely it hasnt been taken off the server already.

They were supposed to do, as the Granada regions showed the short version of it (the times the long version was shown could be counted on one hand) at 7pm

Newer posts