TV Home Forum

ITV1 & BBC1's Jubilee Coverage/BBC Music Live

(June 2002)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
AN
Andrew Founding member
Trailers for ITV1's Jubilee coverage is using a special Gold version of the ITV1 logo.

The programming will be hosted by some of ITV's favourite presenters, The main presenter will be Trevor McDonald, with Commentary from John Suchet, Nicholas Owen and Mary Nightingale will also be there, whilst Katie Durham will be talking to the crowds on the streets

ITV1's coverage commences on Monday at 10pm, and Continues on Tuesday from 9.25-8.00pm (The 9.35-12.15 bit is on ITV2)
AN
Andrew Founding member
So has anyone any thoughts about the BBC's Music Live and Jubilee Coverage so far today

What did you think of 'All you need is love'?

Breakfast was presented by Sophie Raworth at the outside Buckingham Palace studio, with Sian Williams at BBC News 24
MA
Matt Founding member
I don't know... what can I say?

The 'All you need is love' national sing-a-long was utter tripe as expected - Children in Need all over again!!

I quite like the ITV1 ident, but I think the BBC should have stuck with the catchy (but slightly annoying now) 'Dancing in the Street' music as opposed to their strange choice of music they have for the programme now.

Oh well, at least its only here for a few days
AN
Andrew Founding member
Matt posted:
I don't know... what can I say?

The 'All you need is love' national sing-a-long was utter tripe as expected - Children in Need all over again!!

I thought that was really badly implemented, why did they keep restarting the song each time. It was much better when they did a similar thing for Music Live 2000

Seemingly the towns didn't know when they were going to coming to them, some had finished singing, the sound was out of sinc with the pictures at one point, Some cameras looked like they were using that filmic look, a bus looked to be ploughing its way through the crowds in Manchester, the whole thing took too long, it was almost 20 mins long!

Why didn't they just run through the song once or twice simultaneously, and stay on each town for only about 20 secs.

Meanwhile, I like the BBC's opening titles.

If you ask me they could have done without the 'Music Live' brand this year, it seems to be a conflicting brand with the 'Jubilee 2002' brand.
TV
tvmercia Founding member
Andrew posted:
If you ask me they could have done without the 'Music Live' brand this year, it seems to be a conflicting brand with the 'Jubilee 2002' brand.

i agree entirely - i have never understood the point of music live - it probably started out as a good idea, but just turned into a mix of second rate pop stars singing on cringe-worthy live outside broadcasts.

to be honest i was suprised it returned after last year, seemed like a complete flop to me. and they even kept that awful logo.

and it does, as you say, compete with the jubilee 2002 brand. the mail on sunday reported that the BBC tried to brand everything as BBC Music Live - and exclude Jubilee 2002 from the palace concerts - but i dont think buckingham palace were having any of it.

it seems to symbolise the change in bbc one at the moment - in the same way the ITV year of promise marked the shift in ITVs direction. i couldnt honestly imagine bbc one even contemplating this kind of trash a few years ago.
ST
Still
i've enjoyed the blue peter jubilee special this afternoon. chaotic messy live television (linked by the puppets from the saturday show saying how crap it all is).
But all this has been made up for by the fact that Konnie's been wearing a see-through top.

OK maybe not
JB
JB
I'm not too sure about the BBC opening titles - I like the colour scheme, and I like the way the focus is on celebration rather than utter praise for her , but the music is a bit cheesy - it tries to sound regal with the strings bit, but poppy later on. And the bit where they've got the Queen clapping in time with the clapping sounds on the music is bad too - looks cheesy.

They should have developed the "Dancing in the Street" idea, or at least had them on the idents - it would have been easy to have the camera moving out from that stage with all the workers dancing on it.
AN
Andrew Founding member
JB posted:
I'm not too sure about the BBC opening titles - I like the colour scheme, and I like the way the focus is on celebration rather than utter praise for her , but the music is a bit cheesy - it tries to sound regal with the strings bit, but poppy later on. And the bit where they've got the Queen clapping in time with the clapping sounds on the music is bad too - looks cheesy.

They should have developed the "Dancing in the Street" idea, or at least had them on the idents - it would have been easy to have the camera moving out from that stage with all the workers dancing on it.

'Dancing in the Street' is the theme for BBC Music Live, and because of the conflicting brands, and most programmes are half ML, have Jubilee, It was only used for the opening titles to the special Look North at 4.30pm
AN
Andrew Founding member
JB posted:

I like those opening titles, but the clapping does seem a bit funny, I'm not sure if that is a good or a bad thing!

It's very strange hearing David Dimbleby saying words like 'S Club 7' and 'Will from Pop Idol' Very Happy
AN
Andrew Founding member
I quite like ITV1's astons tonight

John Suchet is presenting at the moment, with Shuliie Ghosh and Nick Owen amongst the crowds
AN
Andrew Founding member
ITV1 are now showing the identical pictures that BBC ONE are showing
SP
spotlight
The BBC did a great job - did anyone in the country actually watch itv...? - my mum didn't even watch corrie so their ratings must have plummeted tonight!

Newer posts