TV Home Forum

BREAKING NEWS - in the ITV1 regions

(May 2002)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
JM
James Martin
Does anybody have any memories of this ever happening?

I know that UTV have done it on a number of occasions, including breaking into GMTV on one occasion.

But have any English regions dropped their network programmes to go to breaking news "Sky News/N24/ITN" style?
MG
MikeG
Not that I can remember. Although I don't watch it that much. Hardly ever to be exact.

The last time I know YTV moved from the national schedule to Calendar was for the Maundy Thursday ceremony in Lincoln about 2/3 years back.

IIRC, the Selby rail crash didn't have a special Calendar in the morning (GMTV used a Calendar reporter during 'Lorraine' as the news came in) - I may be wrong though.
BB
BringBackThames
I remember that for the Dockland's bomb ITN cut into programmes and then I think LNN had a special edition of London Tonight about half an hour later - presumably after all the safety precautions had been taken for them. I don't think LNN have ever actually cut into the network with breaking news - that's ITN's responsibility - but they have opted out of the network several times on the day of a major event. I can remember them doing it for some race riots in about 1993, Dockland's Bomb and the Paddington train crash but I don't know if that's certain.
WH
Whataday Founding member
I feel that this forum has done full circle, because this was one of the first threads I replied to when I joined! Wink

HTV Wales has done it a few times. I remember there was a hostage taking in my home town (now city) of Newport. HTV Wales broke into its lunchtime schedule, but I think that they interupted a regional programme anyway.
GA
Gary Founding member
I came across BREAKING NEWS on Scotland Today not that long ago, when it was something regarding all the football teams in the SPL had decided to withdraw from it, or something like that! That's the only time i've ever saw it.
AN
Andrew Founding member
MikeG posted:
Not that I can remember. Although I don't watch it that much. Hardly ever to be exact.

The last time I know YTV moved from the national schedule to Calendar was for the Maundy Thursday ceremony in Lincoln about 2/3 years back.

IIRC, the Selby rail crash didn't have a special Calendar in the morning (GMTV used a Calendar reporter during 'Lorraine' as the news came in) - I may be wrong though.

Also, for the Selby Rail Crash, ITN were showing a special programme from 5-6pm on that night, and Calendar opted out for an hour programme from 5.30pm.
And unlike UTV/CITV, a proper ITN endcap was shown!
CA
cat
We've done this at least 5 times before. I will say again that Granada broke into their schedule heavily to cover the Manchester bombing, Central have done for the prison riots and I think Granada did for the Bulger killers sentences.

I was quite surprised LNN didn't do anything on Potters Bar.

Without wanted to be negative, if we're being realistic, the IRA haven't set a bomb off for a few months now and they typically come every 4/5 months... don't hold your breath.
BE
Ben Founding member
Well meridian had a newsflash this year when 999 lines went out in Hampshire.
JM
James Martin
Full marks to YTV for having the balls to ditch an ITN programme - and yes they dropped "This Morning" to show that ceremony - the ITC made a special mention of it in their annual report in that year I remember.
MG
MikeG
James Martin posted:
Full marks to YTV for having the balls to ditch an ITN programme - and yes they dropped "This Morning" to show that ceremony - the ITC made a special mention of it in their annual report in that year I remember.

Re: This Morning - They didn't drop it! They opted out at 11am to show the coverage. Still showed the first half hour though.
NA
nananinanana
HTV wales also left 'normal' programming on a saturday morning at 9:25am instead of going to no 73 or motormouth (cant remember which) to bring live uninterruptted coverage of a baby snatch story where the baby and mother were reunited! The live bulletin on a saturday morning lasted for half an hour and then just crashed back into the kids programme - im sure Huw Weekes was the presenter!

Well done to htv for getting us away from sandy tosvik and/or neil buchhanan!
CA
cat
The apparent "first place to turn" for "the latest breaking news across the region", Granada Reports, is not quite as up to date as you might think.

The news channels were reporting on this fire that'd broken out at Warrington hospital in Cheshire a bit before 6pm, however, Granada only got round to mentioning it at about 10 past 6.

In America I expect the situation would be the reverse, with local coverage being ahead of national coverage, not so over here.

Does make you wonder when a London based organisation manages to report stories like this before a Manchester based one.

Newer posts