Media Websites

Digital Spy con

(May 2002)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
MI
Mich Founding member
Neil Wilkes posted:
MikeG posted:
Is it copyright infringement if you use text from something but give a link and credit to the person/site - NOT passing it off as your own

Indeed. In the case of Big Brother news articles, however, C4 have made the official news feed freetext - i.e. it can be carried elsewhere provided each article says "Big Brother is a Bazal production for Channel 4," which is what we do. We've found over the past couple of years that a mirror of the official news feed is quite popular, as often people have experienced access difficulties to the official site.

To say that the site is a con I think is quite unfair - as Jason points out, the majority of the content is original and requires many hours of input a day from unpaid reporters.

To those people who are disappointed with the main site and/or forums, I'm sorry you feel that way, however any opinions -- good or bad -- are appreciated and respected and taken into consideration in trying to provide a better level of service.

Neil

Fair enough, is there any chance of you doing live feeds (as you did atleast year 1, didn't notice last year)? Wink
WH
Whataday Founding member
Neil Wilkes posted:
it can be carried elsewhere provided each article says "Big Brother is a Bazal production for Channel 4," which is what we do.

But this year, Big Brother is an Endemol production! (same people, I know!)
MG
MikeG
Whataday posted:
Neil Wilkes posted:
it can be carried elsewhere provided each article says "Big Brother is a Bazal production for Channel 4," which is what we do.

But this year, Big Brother is an Endemol production! (same people, I know!)

Oh well, WORLDwatch is buggered! I have taken a fair few profiles from the site!

But some were given to me by people like Alastair Yates and Susan Osman (complete with a photo) that are on the site! And, to top that, Anita McNaught informed me that she didn't have one to hand but I should look at the BBC World site for it!

Don't know what to do. Might just take them all down and delete them which is a shame as some gave me them and took the time to do so!
EW
ewt2002uk
MikeG,

I'd only delete them if you get an e-mail from the BBC threatening action. Your site is really a fan site, not some kind of serious BBC websnatching project.

TV Home has absolutely masses of copyrighted material - presumably Asa would remove it if he was told to by the broadcasters, but I don't think they mind at all. After all, TV Home was actually plugged on Liquid News.
CO
Cow
ewt2002uk posted:
MikeG,

I'd only delete them if you get an e-mail from the BBC threatening action. Your site is really a fan site, not some kind of serious BBC websnatching project.

TV Home has absolutely masses of copyrighted material - presumably Asa would remove it if he was told to by the broadcasters, but I don't think they mind at all. After all, TV Home was actually plugged on Liquid News.

erm no cos tvh actually capture material si they sort of partly own it if sumut nabbed the material off tvh then they are doomed cos asa could sue them for websnatching

digispy aint thou cos they just nabb material off outher sites, whats the point of havin site with nothin except copied material all websnatched

dont mater if its legal or illegal just no point
MR
mromega
What?? As has been said, Digitalspy are allowed to use the BB3 news supplied by C4/Victoria Real because it is issued as "Freetext". Posting anything, and that means anything copyrighted on a website is illegal. This includes screengrabs, video files and music. To tell the truth, the BBC, ITV etc are unlikely to ask for them to be removed because it's doing them no harm. If however they did complain, Asa would be forced to remove them or face legal action.
CO
Cow
mromega posted:
What?? As has been said, Digitalspy are allowed to use the BB3 news supplied by C4/Victoria Real because it is issued as "Freetext". Posting anything, and that means anything copyrighted on a website is illegal. This includes screengrabs, video files and music. To tell the truth, the BBC, ITV etc are unlikely to ask for them to be removed because it's doing them no harm. If however they did complain, Asa would be forced to remove them or face legal action.

so can i nabb the bb3 news for my site???
MR
mromega
You probably need to register with Victoria Real, send an email to them from the C4 BB3 Website.
MG
MikeG
Cow posted:
ewt2002uk posted:
MikeG,

erm no cos tvh actually capture material si they sort of partly own it if sumut nabbed the material off tvh then they are doomed cos asa could sue them for websnatching

digispy aint thou cos they just nabb material off outher sites, whats the point of havin site with nothin except copied material all websnatched

Well, I've decided. From tomorrow, all profiles are going offline. Exceot those sent by Alastair and Susan. I will then rewrite them myself in my own words.

I know it's not the crime of the century but I will feel better.
AS
Asa Admin
Cow posted:

Cow, how comes you can write in perfectly good sentences to me in an email but not on the forum? Were not all wit da txt speak!

I have absolutely no copyright claim over the material. Nothing whatsoever. No-one would be "doomed" to be sued by me for websnatching because of what I've said above. The only issue of websnatching is the fact the people who do it don't respect the time put into sites, but as people will be quick to say, this is nothing compared with actual copyright.

Cheers, Asa
CO
Cow
Asa posted:
Cow posted:

Cow, how comes you can write in perfectly good sentences to me in an email but not on the forum? Were not all wit da txt speak!

I have absolutely no copyright claim over the material. Nothing whatsoever. No-one would be "doomed" to be sued by me for websnatching because of what I've said above. The only issue of websnatching is the fact the people who do it don't respect the time put into sites, but as people will be quick to say, this is nothing compared with actual copyright.

Cheers, Asa

hehe, its all me txt language me can dos it when me makes effort but cant be bthrd.

If you don't own the copyright to it whatsoever, don't u own it a likkle bit cos u captured the material? Otherwise you can websnatch and say its owned by the BBC or whoever, and you won't be able to do nowt.
BB
BBC News
itsrobert posted:
Jamie P posted:
Digital Spy has got really bad. There was a time when it was the best forum to talk about media related stuff. But they've got so far up their own arses and the forum is a load of sh*t, infested with freaks, and really poorly designed.

TV Forum is now far better than Digital Spy ever was - content and design wise.

All TV Forum needs now, is to bring back the Profile Xtra feature! Very Happy

Yes, I agree there - bring back Profile Xtra !!

I agree too, Bring Back Profile Xtra. Very Happy [/b]

Newer posts