TV Home Forum

News 24 Presenters

(September 2001)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
RY
ryan
I think BBC News 24 needs to give the presenters a shuffle around (e.g put Ben and Joanna on in the afternoon).

Put your schedules here. This is for 24 hours of the day.
MA
Marcus Founding member
I gather Ben's leaving for bigger and better things. Which means there will now only be one presenter who is still in their original launch slot
SN
Steve Naylor
I wonder what bigger and better things are...?! When is he leaving and I wonder who will replace him... Chris Eakin getting a regular slot maybe or a shuffle of presenters? An ideal opportunity to do it if they are going to!
RW
RW
Steve Naylor posted:
I wonder what bigger and better things are...?!  When is he leaving and I wonder who will replace him... Chris Eakin getting a regular slot maybe or a shuffle of presenters? An ideal opportunity to do it if they are going to!

I'd like to see Chris Eakin get a regular slot again, and John Nicholson and Mike Embley should be on more often as well.
SN
Steve Naylor
Thinking about it surely this is the reason Mike Embley went to News24 as a replacement?...
EA
earlster
How about getting the BBC to waste millions on virtual presenters like Vandrea for Channel 5?

(Edited by earlster at 2:19 pm on Sep. 1, 2001)
RW
RW
Right, what do you think to this:

6-9am Breakfast - Sophie Raworth and Jeremy Bowen
9-1pm John Nicholson and Joanna Gosling
1-4pm Bill Turnbull and Carrie Gracie
4-7pm Chris Eakin and Jane Hill
7-11pm Gavin Esler and Gwenan Edwards
11-1am Mike Embley
1-6am Heather McCarthy
DB
dbfriends Founding member
You missed the Peters - Dobbie and Coe - replace Jeremy Bowen with John Nicolson, put Peter Dobbie on at 9am, and replace Mike Embley with Peter Coe, and I'd be kept happy Smile
RW
RW
dbfriends posted:
You missed the Peters - Dobbie and Coe

I know, there are so many presenters and not enough slots! In my schedule the two Peters would have weekend slots and stand in for other weekday presenters.

Wasn't sure what to do with Amroliwala though.

(Edited by RW at 3:34 pm on Sep. 1, 2001)
MA
Martin Founding member
RW posted:
dbfriends posted:
You missed the Peters - Dobbie and Coe

I know, there are so many presenters and not enough slots! In my schedule the two Peters would have weekend slots and stand in for other weekday presenters.

Wasn't sure what to do with Amroliwala though.

(Edited by RW at 3:34 pm on Sep. 1, 2001)

Put him on BBC One
SN
Steve Naylor
Nooo... I don't like him!! Smile
CA
cat
The problem News 24 has is that no matter where they put the presenters, they aren't going to be allowed to show of their personalities.
For example, Sky has a band of well known and well established presenters, each and every one of them has their own personality on screen and they do appear to change style depending who they're presenting with.
The thing is, News 24 presenters aren't allowed to 'shine' when they're on air - they appear to have to maintain this serious air of authority, which means that regardless of which time slot their in, they will still appear 'boring'.
News 24 also have the problem that because they're such a new -in relation to Sky or CNN US - channel that they don't have any really old presenters or veterans.
There's little doubt that other networks have tried to mimik Sky News' style of banter and relaxed atmosphere, but News 24 have done it in a way that makes the presenters look a little stupid, often they try a little too hard to be funny.
Take the end of a presenter shift for example - on Sky you'd get the presenters chatting about the last story or something along those lines and then tell you who's coming up next.
With News 24 you normally get the presenters just saying 'that's all from us X and Y are up next' then they hand over to the weather presenter.
It's little details like that, that keep people watching Sky, because it is more interesting to watch.
Bring the sports people into the studio and give it more relaxed atmosphere.
The Beeb have tried to go all modern with this lovely new style of studio, but at the same time they forgot to tell the presenters to take a different approach to broadcasting, and become more relaxed with the way the present the bulletins.
Presenting a 24 hour channel in a way which would be more suited to the 6 o'clock news, simply does not work.

Newer posts