TV Home Forum

BBC Digital / Analogue Continuity

(June 2001)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
RW
RW
Isonstine posted:
BBC regions are not yet in action on any digital platform.

You can only receive nations (NI, Wa, Sc) on digital platforms. Digital Cable has BBC TWO regions as far as I know.

BBC ONE regions are available on Digital Terrestrial and presumably on Digital Cable as well. It's highly unlikely that BBC TWO English regions will ever be available on any digital platform; I think the plan is to move the opt-outs onto BBC ONE.

As for the trailer between the end of the news and the weather at about 6.55, on DTT it's the same as on analogue, on DSat in England it's for a national programme.
IS
Isonstine Founding member
Yeah, I meant to say BBC TWO regions aren't operating yet!
DA
DAS Founding member
I can just about get my head round it. Gone are the days when there was just BBC ONE and BBC TWO.
AS
Asa Admin
DAS posted:
I can just about get my head round it. Gone are the days when there was just BBC ONE and BBC TWO.
Yeah, a very long time ago! Regional opting has been going on for about 30 years!

Cheers, Asa
AS
Asa Admin
http://www.thetvroom.com/s-feature-bbc-one-net-c.htm shows you around at network control including what happens when nature calls for announcers!

Cheers, Asa
DA
DAS Founding member
Asa posted:
DAS posted:
Yeah, a very long time ago! Regional opting has been going on for about 30 years!

Cheers, Asa

Yes, OK Mr Sarcastic. I meant all this digital/analogue stuff, as well as Choice, News 24, Knowledge........
AN
Andrew Founding member
Isonstine posted:

You can only receive nations (NI, Wa, Sc) on digital platforms. Digital Cable has BBC TWO regions as far as I know.

As for a BBC TWO North ident before The Super League Show, I think it may go out in more than one region (possibly BBC North and North East & Cumbria - maybe our Northern viewers can actually help.) if not then they obviously choose not to show a regional ident.

Yes 'The Super League Show' goes out on BBC North, NE+Cumbria and the North West, Presented by Harry Gration from the old Look North set complete with corporate chairs and widescreen screen.

BBC North do seem to have access to 'BBC TWO' idents, but I think only the recent ones like Predator etc. The 'BBC TWO North' ones continue to be old favourites like Paint and Blade!

As you may know, BBC North West only have access to 'BBC TWO North West' idents so when the three regions showed 'Its your Call in the North' during the Election campaign, Manchester had to put a big black bar over the bottom of it!

In relation to BBC Two's Regional opt outs, It shouldn't be much of a problem to move them all to BBC One
Sunday lunchtime wouldn't be a problem and they could slip in the 320pm News just before CBBC. Where the problem would be is the Thursday Night programmes and also the additional programmes that some regions opt out to show from time to time
PE
Pete Founding member
If super league goes out on all three northern networkd it's pointless putting in three different idents is not it?
RW
RW
Quote:
Quote: from Andrew on 9:54 pm on June 20, 2001In relation to BBC Two's Regional opt outs, It shouldn't be much of a problem to move them all to BBC One Sunday lunchtime wouldn't be a problem and they could slip in the 320pm News just before CBBC. Where the problem would be is the Thursday Night programmes and also the additional programmes that some regions opt out to show from time to time

Possibly at 10.35 one weekday evening which would seems the only suitable placing, or would that seem like marginalising the regional programmes? Alternatively perhaps around 5.00 on a Sunday afternoon?

On the subject of additional regional opt-outs, are these very common? I cannot recall BBC South East ever doing one of these at any time in the past 15-20 years.
HA
harshy Founding member
Andrew posted:
Isonstine posted:

As for a BBC TWO North ident before The Super League Show, I think it may go out in more than one region (possibly BBC North and North East & Cumbria - maybe our Northern viewers can actually help.) if not then they obviously choose not to show a regional ident.

Yes 'The Super League Show' goes out on BBC North, NE+Cumbria and the North West, Presented by Harry Gration from the old Look North set complete with corporate chairs and widescreen screen.

BBC North do seem to have access to 'BBC TWO' idents, but I think only the recent ones like Predator etc. The 'BBC TWO North' ones continue to be old favourites like Paint and Blade!

As you may know, BBC North West only have access to 'BBC TWO North West' idents so when the three regions showed 'Its your Call in the North' during the Election campaign, Manchester had to put a big black bar over the bottom of it!

In relation to BBC Two's Regional opt outs, It shouldn't be much of a problem to move them all to BBC One
Sunday lunchtime wouldn't be a problem and they could slip in the 320pm News just before CBBC. Where the problem would be is the Thursday Night programmes and also the additional programmes that some regions opt out to show from time to time

I know Rugby league is mostly played in the North, but don't you think the BBC should be showing this programme nationwide, so that this game is promoted down South as well!!
NS
NickyS Founding member
Quote:

I know Rugby league is mostly played in the North, but don't you think the BBC should be showing this programme nationwide, so that this game is promoted down South as well!!

I would imagine (but I don't know) that's it's a rights issue and it would probably cost more to show it across the whole Uk. A bit like Local Radio being able to commentary on football matches locally but 5 Live or TalkSport having national rights.
SU
SpiringUnhacked
Hymagumba posted:
If super league goes out on all three northern networkd it's pointless putting in three different idents is not it?
I thought only North showed it.

Newer posts