TV Home Forum

Weather Presenters

(July 2001)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
CA
cat
If your coy attitude is being correctly picked up on by me, she's gone to Sky.
But I doubt that.
MA
Marcus Founding member
cheshirec posted:
If your coy attitude is being correctly picked up on by me, she's gone to Sky.
But I doubt that.

She's way above that.

I gather she's off to a new channel to do general presenting, nothing to do with weather anymore. Which is a great shame as she was one of the best on News24
CA
cat
Oh will you grow up. Despite my posts you are still maintaining the view that Sky is trash you can look down at, it certainly is not.
Sky presenters are a hell of a lot better than the vast majority of News 24 ones.
Just get rid of this adoration of the BBC will you? I think you will find the BBC has a hell of a lot of respect for Sky News, I would guess they respect Sky News a lot more than BBC News 24.
MA
Marcus Founding member
Read my posts. I never said Sky was trash. You infered that. Me thinks you are a bit over sensitive
IH
I Hate HTV West
marcus posted:
Read my posts. I never said Sky was trash. You infered that. Me thinks you are a bit over sensitive

Lol - no coy attitude Chesh ...

In fact, I very much like Lisa and that other girl from Sky News - I just can't stick Francis Wilson ... he's terrible. If he were more laid back he'd fall over.

Anyway ... she's going to a new shopping channel due to start in the autumn. Beyond that, can't say Smile
SE
Square Eyes Founding member
Hurray, somebody who thinks the same as me about Francis Wilson ! He is dreadful, and has no enthusiasm or interest in what he is droning on about. Bring back Dan Corbett, I like my weather presenters to be wacky. Thats all........ [long pause] [nod to the camera]......... for now.
IH
I Hate HTV West
Too right SE ... he's awful. God knows why he got any awards. I just wanna know if it's gonna rain, not listen to his ... very ... laid ... back ... style ...ooooooofffffff ... pres ... en ... tat ... tion ...

Anyway ...

Where did Dan Corbett go?? I miss that guy - he was funny!
CA
cat
That just proves you don't like people have a personality.
Corbett was an idiot, educated in America (obviously).
I don't want to know if the rain has gone for a walk in the park, i'm not stupid.
Francis is an excellent forecaster and has been involved with Branson's attempts at getting around the world in a balloon.
It just shows that you do like this ever so formal style of presentation with dull and lifeless presenters who have no character whatsoever.
Francis is a star around the world, he's often talked about in CNN chat rooms! And whether you like it or not, he's going to stay that way.
BB
BringBackThames
Sorry cheshirec - I can't say I'm mad on Francis Wilson either! The Sky News weather graphics are also a bit hard to interpret as its not entirely clear where the cloud and rain stop or not.

But the BBC aren't brilliant - they're still using exactly the same symbols since the 70s! So it's ITV Weather for me! But I think their new font and presentation graphics are awful - very bright and garish and they clash with the really dark intros to the weather... if I was to pick I quite like the ITV National Weather look from the early 90s.

On presenters I think ITV has it - Sian Lloyd, Martyn Davies and John Hammond are national names in comparison to their BBC counterparts - they don't over do the personality bit and still give you a decent forecast.

I liked Femi Oke who used to do the ITV forecasts here in the SE, she used to give a little summary of her own thoughts at the end I have an example from 1996 where she says '...on that rather damp and cold note I'm depressing myself. Better say goodnight.' She went to CNN didn't she?
MA
Martin Founding member
Whats so good about Isobel Lang?

Carol Kirkwood is the best!

The other night Peter Coe was presenting and they just finished the report on Jennifer and Brad's wedding ring being sold on the internet and Peter said 'someone whos not for sale is Carol Kirkwood with the weather' and she laughed and said 'Not ever for sale!'
CA
cat
BringBackThames posted:
Sorry cheshirec - I can't say I'm mad on Francis Wilson either! The Sky News weather graphics are also a bit hard to interpret as its not entirely clear where the cloud and rain stop or not.

But the BBC aren't brilliant - they're still using exactly the same symbols since the 70s! So it's ITV Weather for me! But I think their new font and presentation graphics are awful - very bright and garish and they clash with the really dark intros to the weather... if I was to pick I quite like the ITV National Weather look from the early 90s.

On presenters I think ITV has it - Sian Lloyd, Martyn Davies and John Hammond are national names in comparison to their BBC counterparts - they don't over do the personality bit and still give you a decent forecast.

I liked Femi Oke who used to do the ITV forecasts here in the SE, she used to give a little summary of her own thoughts at the end I have an example from 1996 where she says '...on that rather damp and cold note I'm depressing myself. Better say goodnight.' She went to CNN didn't she?

She certainly did...
http://www.cnn.com/CNN/anchors_reporters/weather/oke.femi.html
KI
kingrikk
Quote:

Francis is an excellent forecaster and has been involved with Branson's attempts at getting around the world in a balloon.

That's why he failed!

And Sky News graphics are like the GMTV ones - unreadable and if you live in Scotland you can't see the weather.

Newer posts