Media Websites

Welcome to the new TV Forum!

(March 2009)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
AS
Asa Admin
Thanks for the comments guys, always interesting to read.

I agree that we’ve swayed too far in the other direction when it comes to generic threads. I don’t understand why people would want to put something that would have a clear interest to the majority on here inside a 200+ page thread. Surely people want their posts to be read? However, they do have their place. I’ve been converting over the earliest threads and of course the granddaddy of them all is the Yorks & Lincs thread. I don’t believe little changes like maybe a slightly redesigned slide during a report or a new camera angle would warrant a new thread. A brand new studio or new titles of course would, so it’s a balance that we all need to look at. There’s a couple of new features coming soon which will hopefully help steer people towards creating new threads, and make it easier to organise and find the stuff we’re all interested in reading.

It’s not all bad though - ELM 2011’s Vera thread is a clear example. Could have been put in the ITV thread but was rightly created as a new one.

As to other bits…there won’t be an ignore feature. It would potentially cause annoyance with members who’ve blocked others repeating the same questions or losing track of the flow of a topic, as well as being a nightmare with quoted posts. I don’t think it should be software to do that job – members should be able to filter posts themselves by skipping over ones that don’t interest them.

Quote:
I find that nowadays I learn very little from my visits here, other than how many shifts Tim Willcox has done today

With respect Rob, whilst I understand your concerns over generic threads, if that’s all you’re finding out here then you must be clicking into the rota threads and nowhere else – there’s many newsreader-free threads on the site.

Categorising threads is an interesting one – “tagging” is coming soon which may help that, allowing new threads to be tagged with keywords that can easily be searched/filtered.
:-(
A former member
Well To hold his hands up and say I started this whole trend, the main reason for having the Original ITV/STV generic thread way back 2006? was to have a place to ask simple question etc and to point out minor details which as said don't need a thread of its own, Its work really well. Networked ITV - 1990s and before... is another successful one but I have also notice that people don't wont to start new threads.

I do agree that there need to be looked at, Why is talk about ITV reband still place in that Generic thread?
DO
dosxuk
Part of me wonders if there should be a TV Forum Wiki, which would be a more suitable place for day-to-day stuff like "who presented the 0530 ITV News bulletin last Thursday", or even keeping a record of photos of the new Broadcasting House and making them easily findable without having to delve through mountains of posts with such wonders as BBC camera training course videos from the 80s.

I would also like to see an option of "the poster can't possibly know what that presenters contract says" added to the RTP form. Laughing
IT
itsrobert Founding member
Asa posted:

Quote:
I find that nowadays I learn very little from my visits here, other than how many shifts Tim Willcox has done today

With respect Rob, whilst I understand your concerns over generic threads, if that’s all you’re finding out here then you must be clicking into the rota threads and nowhere else – there’s many newsreader-free threads on the site.

That's not the case at all, Asa. Admittedly I'm more interested in The Newsroom than the main forum, but I regularly keep up with all the BBC News, BBC Breakfast BBC World, ITV News, Channel 4 News threads, and many more - by no means just the rota threads. However, I'm sure you'll agree that rota and presenter discussion - particularly with regards to Tim Willcox - infects more than the rota threads.

For instance, his shift patterns are regularly discussed not only in the BBC News Presenters & Rotas thread, but also in the BBC World News thread when he's on there and also the BBC News Channel thread. In fact, just yesterday members were discussing his wearing jeans in the BBC News Channel thread - NOT the Presenters & Rotas thread. Moreover, shift patterns were also being discussed in the BBC Breakfast thread. Hence my comment - trying to follow BBC News presentation is something of a nightmare at times because the same members insist on talking about insanely boring presenter shift patterns in more than the designated threads. And don't even get me started on this stupid trend for combining presenters' names. All this drivel just ends up burying potentially interesting topics because there's so many members who discuss it ad nauseum.

It's all well and good for you to say that if you don't want to read rota discussion then don't click into those threads, but we all know that such advice is just impossible to follow. Asa, I've known you for a very long time now and, as you know, I was heavily involved with TV Forum in its infancy and as a result part of me wonders whether we put all that effort in back then just to create a forum where 14 year olds log how many shifts Charlie Stayt did in 2011. You may say that we were young back then too - granted, but we certainly weren't that tedious. I do take your point that there are a lot of good threads still on TV Forum - the likes of the BBC Breakfast News, BBC Nations and Regions threads spring to mind as recent examples that are worth reading. But I just think it's a shame that certain members are dragging it down.
MW
Mike W
Well To hold his hands up and say I started this whole trend, the main reason for having the Original ITV/STV generic thread way back 2006? was to have a place to ask simple question etc and to point out minor details which as said don't need a thread of its own, Its work really well. Networked ITV - 1990s and before... is another successful one but I have also notice that people don't wont to start new threads.

I do agree that there need to be looked at, Why is talk about ITV reband still place in that Generic thread?

I don't think you started it, there were generic threads, look at the Central West and BBC Midlands Thread and The *NEW* Central West and BBC Midlands Thread... Both from 2003/4. Not really generic threads though...
RO
rob Founding member
Really appreciating the logo change today... Wink
VM
VMPhil
It's a bit odd to be honest. TVF hasn't acknowledged other entertainment programmes in its logo before, and this is a show returning on a small digital channel.
RO
rob Founding member
Whoops.
Last edited by rob on 14 May 2012 2:41pm
VM
VMPhil
rob posted:
The last Henry Kelly edition of Going For Gold.

Wrong thread Wink
RO
rob Founding member
Whoopsy-doodle.
DA
David
It's a bit odd to be honest. TVF hasn't acknowledged other entertainment programmes in its logo before, and this is a show returning on a small digital channel.

I don't think you can describe a channel broadcasting on the two biggest platforms in the UK (Sky and Freeview) and owned by one of the largest broadcasters in the UK, a "small digital channel". What do you mean by "digital channel" anyway? Launching this programme on one of the remaining analogue only channels or an IPTV only channel would be a commercial mistake.

What I am saying is, you are wrong. You have completely underestimated what the return of Blockbusters means to the nation. Last year we had the Royal Wedding, this year we had the return of Blockbusters. The Queen and Sebastian Coe are going to have to do a lot to better that.
JO
Jon

Not really, this was a massive cult show in it's day, that meant a lot to a lot of people. It was also a relatively simple change to make to the logo.

It was partly nice because it was such an unusual thing to do, we wouldn't want to see it every time X Factor, Big Brother or Doctor Who returned.

Newer posts