The Newsroom

BBC Breakfast

From 6am (April 2012)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
DO
dosxuk
Dan, I really don't recall any of those doing Breakfast before. Although, one imagines that Adam would be rather good at it. Being his agent, haven't you tried to push him through? Wink LOL.

Surely Breakfast could do a bit of roaming during the Summer months, just to break things up a bit? Why not have Bill and Susannah do the show from Glasgow on an odd Friday. Perhaps Cardiff another. Jersey another. Belfast another. And so on.

Or do the technicalities of newsgathering, etc, make it a bit too tricky to do?

Of all the BBC National News programmes that exist, surely Breakfast is the one which most lends itself to getting out amongst the people. Not just a random OB, but the entire shebang. Lock, stock and barrel, for one day a month.

Expensive? Can't be too expensive, as the BBC already has studios and production staff in all of the aforesaid locations.

But why? For the vast majority of viewers, it would make no difference to the programme to the point of not noticing. Seeing them in a regional news studio in Cardiff would look so similar to them being in their regular [regional news] studio in Salford that there would be basically no benefit.

If you'd suggest a full blown OB Breakfast "roadshow" visiting tourist attractions / events around the country then maybe there's some mileage there, but just to relocate to a different red sofa in front of a slightly different fake newsroom buried in an office block, there's no point.
JW
JamesWorldNews
Yes, the latter. And perhaps One of the local presenters from the featured region could co present with Bill and Susannah for the day. It could be a good way of linking the Nation. Nationwide?

Oh, hang on.....
IT
itsrobert Founding member
Dan S posted:

I think the point about Roger and Fiona being unknowns is rather comical when you take into account the array of weekend presenters we've had over the years. How come they weren't complaining when the likes of Rageh Omaar and Martine Dennis would step in 10 years ago?

Slightly off topic but I never knew the likes of Rageh Omaar and Martine Dennis ever made appearances on weekend Breakfast. What other presenters have made unusual/last minute appearances on Breakfast over the years? Tim Willcox, Chris Eakin, Emily Maitlis, Geeta Guru-Murphy, David Eades and Adam Parsons spring to mind. What others have there been?

From what I can remember (and with the aid of the odd recording I made of unusual pairings, though sadly I no longer have video capturing facilities so can't upload them), the following have all made appearances on Breakfast during 2001/2002, either on a weekday or weekend (other than the regulars of Jeremy Bowen, Sophie Raworth, Darren Jordon, Sarah Montague, Bill Turnbull and Sian Williams):

Michael Peshardt
Peter Dobbie
Liz Pike
Julie Etchingham
George Eykyn
Rageh Omaar
Carrie Gracie
Martine Dennis
Mike Embley
Asad Ahmad
Paul Welsh
Nici Marx
Gwenan Edwards
Geeta Guru-Murthy
Noel Thompson
Anna Jones
Adrian Chiles
Ben Geoghegan

That's by no means an exhaustive list - and from what I remember I tended to make a recording of the unusual pairings, which more often than not happened during the summer months. As I recall, most of the time it was Jeremy and Sophie during the week and Darren Jordon/Bill Turnbull and Sian Williams at the weekend. But all those people above certainly presented Breakfast at least once.

I also recall Michael Buerk and Stephen Cole presenting Breakfast during a later period. Around 2004/5?
JA
Jaxford
Two names I'm most surprised with are Adrian Chiles and London's Asad Ahmad. Both good presenters but wouldn't have thought they would have appeared.

The name on that list that I would want to again would be Ben Geoghegan. I think he's a great presenter. Shame he doesn't do any relief shifts any more. He's a good political correspondent but I would prefer to see him behind the desk or on the sofa.
DS
Dan S

I also recall Michael Buerk and Stephen Cole presenting Breakfast during a later period. Around 2004/5?

Michael Buerk presented Breakfast alongside Natasha Kaplinsky in the summer of 2003, as shown in the Youtube clip below. Not sure about Stephen Cole, I think he was on later around the time of the BBC strike in 2005?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wpF0MjIw8_k

I remember 2007 and the early part of 2008 saw another batch of unusual presenters. These included:

- Matt Barbet
- Susannah Streeter
- Sophie Long
- Claire Marshall
- Robert Hall
- Sonia Deol
- Ben Geoghegan (returnee)
IT
itsrobert Founding member
Two names I'm most surprised with are Adrian Chiles and London's Asad Ahmad. Both good presenters but wouldn't have thought they would have appeared.

The name on that list that I would want to again would be Ben Geoghegan. I think he's a great presenter. Shame he doesn't do any relief shifts any more. He's a good political correspondent but I would prefer to see him behind the desk or on the sofa.

When Breakfast launched in 2000, Jeremy and Sophie were the main presenters, but they also had a separate newsreader on weekdays. To begin with the main newsreader was Moira Stuart, but Asad Ahmad did Fridays. Later, Emma Howard took over Asad's role, and eventually Kate Sanderson/Gerbeau. However, Asad also occasionally presented weekend Breakfast.
SR
SomeRandomStuff
Noel Thompson
Tony Livesey

to add to the list.
MW
Mike W
Noel Thompson
Tony Livesey

to add to the list.

Him and Roger Johnson are two individuals who I feel deserve to go/stay in radio - they're awful.
GH
George Hill
Noel Thompson
Tony Livesey

to add to the list.

Him and Roger Johnson are two individuals who I feel deserve to go/stay in radio - they're awful.

Whilst this is a tv forum - we need to remember that radio is not an inferior medium. I agree that Roger Johnson is awful, and some people are better on radio OR TV, but that does not mean awful people should go to the radio. To be honest Roger Johnson just looks awkward on screen so he may be better on radio - I don't know.
SP
Steve in Pudsey
One Sunday saw Look North's Christa Ackroyd presenting Breakfast. Seemingly never invited back.
SA
samwsmith1
One Sunday saw Look North's Christa Ackroyd presenting Breakfast. Seemingly never invited back.

Really? I was just thinking maybe we should have Breakfast with Harry & Christa one day.
Or Harry & Amy Garcia, she seemed very good in Christa's absence before.
BE
Ben Founding member
Noel Thompson
Tony Livesey

to add to the list.

To be honest Roger Johnson just looks awkward on screen so he may be better on radio - I don't know.

Probably best for Roger to go back to South Today where he was popular and his style suited the programme - its always been more awkward than the other regional programmes.

Newer posts