TV Home Forum

Last X Factor next year

NEWSPAPER RUMOUR (April 2012)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
SW
SWatson7
Until Cowell is properly off-the-boil, there's not a chance in hell ITV would buy the Voice instead of one of his programmes.

That would be biting the hand that feeds.

ITV entered a higher bid than the BBC for The Voice but Endemol rejected their offer. The success is only going to make ITV want it even more but its probably unlikely they'll ever get it.
MI
Michael
Arguably, the peak was the 2010 series with Matt Cardle.

As much as I hate the X-Factor and wouldn't miss its passing for all the tea in China, I feel I must slightly disagree on this particular point. Musically, it reached its peak very very early, in 2005 and 2006. No-one was going to top Leona Lewis, and no-one ever has. Also, the contest the year before between Shayne Ward and Andy Abraham was the only one that killed it for me as having any resemblance to a "talent" contest as Andy clearly had the more talent, yet somehow the younger, whiter, sexier candidate won.
DA
David
ITV entered a higher bid than the BBC for The Voice but Endemol rejected their offer. The success is only going to make ITV want it even more but its probably unlikely they'll ever get it.

Isn't Endemol's version of this format called Star Academy (or Fame Academy in the UK)? The Voice is someone elses.
JO
Jon
David posted:

Isn't Endemol's version of this format called Star Academy (or Fame Academy in the UK)? The Voice is someone elses.

It's not Endemol but the format was created by Jon de Mol formally of Endemol, I think?
GS
Gavin Scott Founding member
Until Cowell is properly off-the-boil, there's not a chance in hell ITV would buy the Voice instead of one of his programmes.

Would you care to substantiate what you've written?
DA
David

It's not Endemol but the format was created by Jon de Mol formally of Endemol, I think?[/quote]

How does he come up with all these original formats?!

All these shows are just Karaoke Challenge with added LEDs anyway.
SW
SWatson7

Would you care to substantiate what you've written?

Quote:
It is understood that ITV offered more for the format but were turned down.

All speculation of course. Full article here. Even if the article is inaccurate and ITV did bid less, ITV were definitely interested in the format.
GS
Gavin Scott Founding member
Quote:
It is understood that ITV offered more for the format but were turned down.

All speculation of course. Full article here. Even if the article is inaccurate and ITV did bid less, ITV were definitely interested in the format.

Well it says that the BBC was always the firm favourite, but, "as the weeks dragged on ITV also entered discussions."

Knowing they were unlikely to win, this could have been gamesmanship to drive up the price for the Beeb.

I think the real threat of poaching The Voice comes from Sky. That's what they do - although they usually wait until a show has passed its peak. And once they're done with all their Ashley Banjo dance shows, they will have a large gap to plug.
CA
Cando
Cool

ITV offered a full 10m more over 2 years but got turned down. Danny Cohen said At Edinburgh last Summer, The BBC never changed their bid even after ITV moved in.

I think the real threat of poaching The Voice comes from Sky. That's what they do - although they usually wait until a show has passed its peak. And once they're done with all their Ashley Banjo dance shows, they will have a large gap to plug.

90% of Shed Media's productions are on the BBC, they're not going to piss off their biggest customer. Why do you think Waterloo Road has a brand new HQ in Scotland and a full 2 year commission Shocked

ITV and Channel 4 have previously sniffed around The Apprentice and Masterchef respectively but they both remain at the BBC despite being offered a lot more money by the Commercial sector. Why because the Beeb is too big and important to piss off. Shine's drama companies [Including Kudos] might as well close down without the BBC.

It's completely different to a US TV drama being poached by Sky from an International production company.
JE
Jez Founding member
I think its about time the X Factor was axed, IMO it is had its day. Its not anywhere near as good as it was in the first few series. The only series in recent years that has been any good In My Opinion is the 2010 series where Matt Cardle one. Im only sorry we have another 2 series of it before it is finally axed. Rolling Eyes
SW
SWatson7
Cando posted:
90% of Shed Media's productions are on the BBC, they're not going to p*** off their biggest customer. Why do you think Waterloo Road has a brand new HQ in Scotland and a full 2 year commission Shocked

ITV and Channel 4 have previously sniffed around The Apprentice and Masterchef respectively but they both remain at the BBC despite being offered a lot more money by the Commercial sector. Why because the Beeb is too big and important to p*** off. Shine's drama companies [Including Kudos] might as well close down without the BBC.

It's completely different to a US TV drama being poached by Sky from an International production company.

It probably won't leave the BBC but I'd be very surprised if any of ITV, Channel 5 and Sky don't bid for the series 3 onwards rights. If the producers become too money motivated then the BBC will almost certainly lose it; ITV wanted it before and Richard Desmond has said he wants a show like X Factor and he's thrown obscene amounts of money at Big Brother despite it flagging on Channel 4. They'll be able to outbid the BBC, the BBC may not be able to justify spending any more. But ultimately the producers probably know in the long term that BBC1 is the channel to stick with because only ITV1 can reach the same numbers, but on ITV there is the risk of too much controversy or instability which can damage it in the long term- the very reason X Factor may be at the start of a long decline.
Last edited by SWatson7 on 9 April 2012 3:45pm
DO
dosxuk
Who owns the rights to the format in the UK? Is it the BBC, who've then contracted Shed/Shine/whoever to produce it, or is it Shed/Shine/whoever who've then sold the completed programme to the BBC?

Newer posts