TV Home Forum

BBC Television: Children In Need 2011

TV Forum Running Commentary (November 2011)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
KN
knack
I was surprised there was no interaction with the audience this year, wonder why this was.
JW
JamesWorldNews
Back to my original post, have just seen the newsreaders clip on Strictly. Incredibly sexy indeed. Emily Maitlis was very very hot. Although, good to see Angela Rippon ripping it up and showing them how it's done!

BIG MOIRA next year??
CR
ColonelRed
Jonny posted:
Spectacular mic fail.

and no one mentioned it, which was even worse....
JA
JAS84
So The One Show was basically them trying to make Matt Baker into David Walliams. I'm not sure at all about these big celeb led stunts for Comic Relief, Sport Relief and Children in Need - seems to have taken the emphasis away from the general public doing their bit when it comes to fundraising.
It had to be a big challenge, anything less would've paled in comparison to some of the stuff he did when he was a Blue Peter presenter.
MA
Macalolo
After watching the show year in year out I can honestly say that I have never seen a more dull show. For me this year never had the hype that has surrounded CIN in recent years.

The content as well seem to lack any excitement. Usually I look forward to what the show has to offer but for some reason it seemed as if there wasn't actually that much content.

Also the lack of interaction with the audience just made for a very dull show overall.
VM
VMPhil
After watching the show year in year out I can honestly say that I have never seen a more dull show. For me this year never had the hype that has surrounded CIN in recent years.

The content as well seem to lack any excitement. Usually I look forward to what the show has to offer but for some reason it seemed as if there wasn't actually that much content.

Also the lack of interaction with the audience just made for a very dull show overall.

Seems to be the thing now. Same thing happned with the last Comic Relief - dull and dark studio with little hype.
SP
spud_nic
If you compare it to the CIN evenings from a decade ago, they've certainly modernised it quite well, e.g. reinventing a modern Pudsey and the coloured spots for versatile graphics. But I can't help agree that it is a little "safe" and dull compared to how it used to be and I think it just needs a little spark adding.

That said, I thought this year's show was fairly good compared to some recent years'. Not too many hitches (that I saw anyway), studio worked well (although I think the set lacked a creative spark)

Missed the brassy intro music this year though, which they brought back for the last couple I think.
BR
Brekkie
I've been one of the biggest critics of them using the same tired old formula year after year in recent years and have pretty much given up watching live now, but did record it last night to skip through this afternoon and found myself watching a bit more than usual. They could probably still with slightly less music but other than those plugging their stuff I think there were only two celebs singing performances in the studio - Gok Wan and Hollyoaks, with EastEnders and Outnumbered on VT - so not too bad.

I really do think they should push some Pudsey merchandise a bit more too. They're available on the BBC Shop - but they're so interested in selling them they're advertising the 2010 event. Didn't realise he now had a missus too - Blush Bear.
TT
Tumble Tower

Any it's now gone midnight, and I'm off to bed. Goodnight.

HURRAH

Sorry if some users disliked my frequent comments about last night, including my quoting the running total (in some cases with comparison to equivalent times previous years) each time the total was announced until midnight. As a TV Forum user I had as much rights as any other user to voice my opinion on the programme whenever I felt like it.

Thank you very much Mike W for posting the £24,255,334 just after 1am, and James Vertigan for posting the end-of-night total £26,332,334 around 2am, presumably to add to the earlier totals I'd quoted.

knack posted:
I was surprised there was no interaction with the audience this year, wonder why this was.

I noticed that, unlike previous years, Terry didn't go around the audience with a bucket for people to drop money into. That's the first time I've spotted that, I'm sure he went around with the bucket last year, and previous years.

Anyhow, this afternoon I saw the post-midnight coverage (midnight to 2am) on DVD. Granted they repeated some earlier bits, like "Hey Hey We're The Monkees", the nationwide choir "Keep Holding On", EastEnders doing Queen and the Muppets, along with certain appeal films, but they also had new performances, e.g. Matt Cardle, Rock of Ages, Will Young, Caro Emerald. In the last few minutes they had a recap of clips before announcing the end-of-night total.

Acts I particularly liked:
The Wizard of Oz
"Hey Hey We're The Monkees"
The nationwide choir "Keep Holding On"
EastEnders performing Queen
The musical just before midnight "Who Could Ask For Anything More?"
Coldplay "Viva la Vida" - the last song they showed from Children in Need Rocks Manchester around 1:45am (this song was in full)

Of course there was a serious side to it too. Watching the appeal films was heartbreaking, I felt sorry for the children featured in the films who live in poverty, or have disabilities / illnesses.

Altogether, a great night of entertainment, better than RND 2011 back in March. Well done raising £26,332,334 in a single night, a major achievement considering times are said to be tough at the moment. Who said no-one has money to give away? My only oversight was not bothering to do a search on the BBC Shop 3 or 4 weeks ago to see what T-shirts they were doing for this year, so I didn't get one. Instead I wore my 2008 "I'm With Puds" T-shirt yesterday, and 2007 Children In Need T-shirt today.
WE
Westy2
I've still got my Pudsey teddy bear (about a fiver!) from a couple of years ago!

Don't think I'll be buying the single though.
AG
AxG
The Collective - nope, would not buy it, however, If the BBC released that multi-choir song, then I'd buy that. Smile
As for sketches, the only one that impressed me was the Dragons' Den/Alan Sugar one, that was brilliant. Very Happy
TT
Tumble Tower
AxG posted:
As for sketches, the only one that impressed me was the Dragons' Den/Alan Sugar one, that was brilliant. Very Happy

I wasn't too keen on Dragon's Den. In particular I didn't like some of Alan Sugar's comments, he seemed to be moaning about various things, e.g. no lift.

Newer posts