The Newsroom

Channel 4 News

(November 2011)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
RO
rob Founding member
New look to launch tomorrow. New titles and set, theme tune to stay the same.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2011/nov/06/jon-snow-channel-4-news
Last edited by rob on 11 June 2013 5:00pm - 6 times in total
LM
Lee M
According to The Guardian, the new look debuts tomorrow.
IT
itsrobert Founding member
Hmmm, this passage worries me slightly:

Quote:
Jim Gray, the editor of Channel 4 News since 1998 and a former deputy editor of Newsnight, says he wants to make it an "easier watch" with "more human experience".

"One of the biggest shifts is going to be how we report Britain," he says. "We wanted to get to grips with that, but not in a standoffish, intellectualised, overly analytical way."

One of Channel Four News's great strengths is that it has a serious, intellectual, analytical approach but doesn't take itself too seriously. It's always been a very refreshing programme and - let's be honest - it's not aimed at the type of people who are interested in human interest stories; leave that to ITV News and BBC News.
DE
derek500
rob posted:

....and nearly four years since the launch of Channel 4 HD, it's still in SD.
IT
itsrobert Founding member
rob posted:

For that to happen a lot of equipment would have to be upgraded throughout ITN - don't forget even ITV News isn't HD yet. It took ITN until 2007 just to upgrade to widescreen so don't hold your breath!!
MO
Moz
Hasn't it already been going to more of a 2 header thing - see this http://www.channel4.com/programmes/channel-4-news/4od
DF
DrewF
They have - I think they're gently settling viewers into the format. I quite liked this shot they were using at the end of the programme:

VM
VMPhil
rob posted:

For that to happen a lot of equipment would have to be upgraded throughout ITN - don't forget even ITV News isn't HD yet. It took ITN until 2007 just to upgrade to widescreen so don't hold your breath!!

2007 just for widescreen? Surely by 2007 they should have made the wise decision to upgrade to HD, not just SD widescreen.

I tell you what though, on Daybreak the regional live reports look awful compared to the HD studio shots, they desperately need upgrading.
BR
Brekkie
Hmmm, this passage worries me slightly:

Quote:
Jim Gray, the editor of Channel 4 News since 1998 and a former deputy editor of Newsnight, says he wants to make it an "easier watch" with "more human experience".

"One of the biggest shifts is going to be how we report Britain," he says. "We wanted to get to grips with that, but not in a standoffish, intellectualised, overly analytical way."

One of Channel Four News's great strengths is that it has a serious, intellectual, analytical approach but doesn't take itself too seriously. It's always been a very refreshing programme and - let's be honest - it's not aimed at the type of people who are interested in human interest stories; leave that to ITV News and BBC News.

I think this explains it all;
Quote:
Instead Channel 4, in the form of its chief creative officer Jay Hunt , came knocking on the door of the programme's producer, ITN, suggesting a wholesale overhaul as part of the broadcaster's post-Big Brother "creative renewal".

Jay Hunt - the prime example of why women in TV should remain "stuck in the corner". I never thought C4 News would succumb to dumbing down. This sudden decision that because the second presenter is often female or Asian they're being sexist and racist by sticking to a proven format is absolutely despicable - and an insult to all concerned. I'm not sure either I believe anyone in that interview is entirely happy with the end of The Jon Snow Show.

Also worth noting the lunchtime bulletin moves to 12.15pm this week and will be shown as part of Drop Down Menu, rather than before it. Indeed C4 launching "The Renovation Game" at 11am tomorrow - exactly the sort of thing you'd expect in a Jay Hunt BBC daytime schedule.
GE
thegeek Founding member
DrewF posted:
They have - I think they're gently settling viewers into the format. I quite liked this shot they were using at the end of the programme:

Though they've been using it in odd ways: coming out of a report into that 2-shot, then the co-presenter saying "now over to Jon for the rest of today's news"; and remains in shot while he starts reading from the script. Maybe it's just temporary due to some technical limitations of the virtual studio - but it does break the grammar of a news broadcast somewhat.
GI
ginofish
DrewF posted:

Who took the lead in that programme out of interest?
DF
DrewF
And for the last time from the current (albeit fake) set...

And the last time the weather is read out (possibly?)

Newer posts